Sketch Contest: WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

kathpatty wrote:Love how the site looks !!
But only 5 sketches....yikes!! choices, choices
10, with the optional categories. :wink:
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Entry submission is open!

Couple of things to note for anyone who has not submitted entries via one of my awards sites in the past:

1. If you get an error saying your image is invalid or corrupt, please try re-saving it via an image editing program like Photoshop. Old images sometimes cause some weird issues for the server.

2. If your image file size is right at the limit (300k for normal images 800k for animated), and you get an error, you will need to resize your image or save it with a little more compression. File sizes can actually vary slightly from what's stored on your computer to when you transfer it to the server.

3. If you care a lot about the quality of your image(s), I suggest you make sure your images adhere to the dimensions given in the contest instructions, otherwise the server will re-size them, and you will most definitely lose quality.

If you have any issues with submitting entries, please drop me a PM here. It'll be faster for me to get to than if you send it to the contest e-mail address.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Thanks, Zerospace!

Submissions will run from 5pm PT on June 5th, until 5pm PT on June 12th.

http://2010sketch.zero-space.net/index.php

ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Woo hoo! Thanks to all the entrants who have submitted artwork thus far. This year's contest is shaping up to be a good one. :)

Submit entries here:
http://2010sketch.zero-space.net/index.php

Just a quick reminder: all entries must be original sketches. No photocopies.

Last edited by ReiTheJelly on Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

aww man Rei I'm just really
enjoying all the Hawaii piccis
in this thread 8) !!
[as I sit here while its T-storming
and a tornado watch ta boot :roll: ]
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

Is there a way to know how many entries have been submitted for each category?
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Hi all! I just want to post a site-related note here for all those who are still planning to enter the contest:

I implore you to please read as you go through the submission process. Each page displays the category for which you are uploading your entry image, and the summary page displays the category both before and after you upload your images. After you upload your image, you will see the category name displayed in bold just above the corresponding thumbnail.

You are responsible for making sure that your image(s) match up to the correct category! Your personal file names are NOT preserved after your images are uploaded to the server, so please don't assume that we'll see what you named your images. We won't. If we notice that something's amiss with your entries, we will likely contact you, but it's also possible we won't notice, and your entries will end up in the wrong categories. The summary page is there to allow you to confirm that you have uploaded the correct image(s) -- please use it! (In previous years, removing an image and re-uploading caused a caching issue for some people -- this has been fixed this year!)

Sorry for the tiny rant... but thank you for reading ;).
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

animeobsessed wrote:Is there a way to know how many entries have been submitted for each category?
No, category totals will not be announced. The reason: I have heard rumors that in past contests, people waited to see which categories were the most under-represented, thus offering the least amount of competition for a trophy.

This contest should be about a gallery owner selecting the pieces they feel will best fit the categories of their choice. I don't want to try and funnel people into categories they might not actually want to enter, but feel compelled to.
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

ReiTheJelly wrote:
animeobsessed wrote:Is there a way to know how many entries have been submitted for each category?
No, category totals will not be announced. The reason: I have heard rumors that in past contests, people waited to see which categories were the most under-represented, thus offering the least amount of competition for a trophy.

This contest should be about a gallery owner selecting the pieces they feel will best fit the categories of their choice. I don't want to try and funnel people into categories they might not actually want to enter, but feel compelled to.
Ok...will you let us know if a category is close to being filled? I won't be able to enter for a few days since I am away from home and my computer. I have more than 5 categories I can enter so I would like to narrow it down by the time I get home and it would help to know if a category is almost full.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kathpatty »

ReiTheJelly

Excellent idea !! :bow2:
A Man Who Views The World The Same At Fifty As He Did At Twenty Has Wasted Thirty Years Of His Life. - Muhammad Ali
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

animeobsessed wrote:Ok...will you let us know if a category is close to being filled?
We won't be capping entries, so feel free to submit whatever you like before the deadline. :D
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Could you notify people who are in danger of having a category eliminated that they should have a back-up(or two...three...) prepared?

Of course, if all categories have at least three entries by now, then, nevermind. :)
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

I think Rei was going to post the categories that were low on entries, just not the actual count per category. I could be wrong, though ^^;;.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Because I've been asked this question, I will clarify it for everyone. Rule #10 states that no image modifications are accepted, except for piecing together pan sketches. This means:

* you cannot make composite images out of multiple layers of sketches

* you cannot add backgrounds, other characters, et cetera, to your sketch via a graphics program

* you cannot add color to a non-colored image

The exception to this rule is the ANIMATED category.

ALL ARTWORK SHOULD APPEAR ON THE WEBSITE AS IT DOES WHEN PHYSICALLY LOOKING AT THE IMAGE IN PERSON.

To address Cutiebunny's question: at the moment, with so many days remaining in the submission period, I am confident that we will successfully fill all categories. On June 12, if some categories are in danger of being cut, I will privately contact the individuals involved.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

A little more than 3 days remaining in the submission period! Remember: all entries must be submitted by 5pm Pacific Time on June 12th.