Sketch Awards Poll - Hybrid Sketches

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.

Should 'hybrid' sketches be included in the AB 2011 Sketch Awards?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:33 pm

Yes, hybrid sketches should be allowed in all applicable categories.
29%
Yes, but hybrid sketches should only be allowed in a newly created 'Hybrid' category.
33%
No. Hybrid sketches should not be entered.
33%
I want back the 30 seconds of my life spent reading this.
4%

Total votes: 24

cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: Sketch Awards Poll - Hybrid Sketches

Post by cutiebunny »

Joost, I don't know if you received my pm, but if not, any update on the website would be most appreciated.

...I really hope I don't have to create an RS gallery to host the awards this year... :roll:
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I'm at an impasse right now. I have no idea as to when the website will be finished. And really, I can't wait much longer. Like, August 1 much longer. If I keep pushing up the date, the sketch awards will run into the cel awards. And that's not something I really want to do. The goal is to have this wrapped up by the end of summer...

So, where I stand right now is, if a separate site for the awards is not up and running by August 1, then, I'm going to have to resort to just creating an RS gallery geared towards it. I already created the login in the event that I'll end up going this route. Yes, it's a step backwards from the smooth sites of the past and the hassle free submission/voting process, but as I am not gifted with Zerospace's coding talent, it's starting to look like it's either this or no awards.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Good news, everyone :)

Thanks to Zerospace letting us use her code once again, Gabe and Iceman have worked on a site for the awards. It should function like previous sites, which means less headaches for both the participants and myself.

That being said, since Hybrid Sketches were voted to be included in this year's awards, that means I'll need someone to update the French and Dutch rules portion of the website. Any volunteers?

So, tentatively, I'm looking at submissions occurring at the end of August, with voting during the first week of September and winners mid-late September. Although the award graphics are done, I'd like to give a couple of weeks for their personalization, in the event that something happens. I don't think that this will conflict with any major holidays and/or conventions, and, of course, the Cel Awards.

For now, excluding the addition of the Hybrid category into the Standard Entries, I'll be using the same rules and set-up as the previous sketch awards. This means that you'll be able to submit 5 sketches into the standard categories, and 5 into the bonus categories, for a total of 10 possible submissions. However, two categories will be modified -

Death/Dying will become Injured/Death. This opens up the category to characters who are substantially injured, but not on death's door. Please don't submit any artwork of someone with a papercut.... :x

Accessory's description will be changed to reflect the submission of any inanimate THING, and not limited to items that a character is holding/using.

I'll ask Goldknight to make a sticky so we can get this going in a few days.
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

cutiebunny wrote:Good news, everyone :)

Thanks to Zerospace letting us use her code once again, Gabe and Iceman have worked on a site for the awards. It should function like previous sites, which means less headaches for both the participants and myself.

That being said, since Hybrid Sketches were voted to be included in this year's awards, that means I'll need someone to update the French and Dutch rules portion of the website. Any volunteers?

So, tentatively, I'm looking at submissions occurring at the end of August, with voting during the first week of September and winners mid-late September. Although the award graphics are done, I'd like to give a couple of weeks for their personalization, in the event that something happens. I don't think that this will conflict with any major holidays and/or conventions, and, of course, the Cel Awards.

For now, excluding the addition of the Hybrid category into the Standard Entries, I'll be using the same rules and set-up as the previous sketch awards. This means that you'll be able to submit 5 sketches into the standard categories, and 5 into the bonus categories, for a total of 10 possible submissions. However, two categories will be modified -

Death/Dying will become Injured/Death. This opens up the category to characters who are substantially injured, but not on death's door. Please don't submit any artwork of someone with a papercut.... :x

Accessory's description will be changed to reflect the submission of any inanimate THING, and not limited to items that a character is holding/using.

I'll ask Goldknight to make a sticky so we can get this going in a few days.
Send me the froggy related stuff anytime, I'll handle the translation job.
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Post by Yupa »

cutiebunny wrote: That being said, since Hybrid Sketches were voted to be included in this year's awards, that means I'll need someone to update the French and Dutch rules portion of the website. Any volunteers?
I can translate to Dutch if you want, although I'm not sure if it's necessary because most Dutch people can read English.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Unless you really want a new translation, all you would need to do is do some slight modifications to the pre-existing rules. In total, you'd have to change 2 category descriptions and add 1 new category.

We started putting up the rules in French, Spanish and Dutch due to problems that arose in a previous competition with a non-native English speaker who cited that they didn't completely understand the rules. So while I understand that most people on this board are more or less fluent in English, the translations exist to prevent possible complications arising again.
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Post by Yupa »

Okay, I sent you a translation. I didn't find a translation of the category descriptions yet, so I translated those and made some minor modifications to the previous rules translation.