2011 Anime Beta Sketch Awards Rules & Info

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: 2011 Anime Beta Sketch Awards Rules & Info

Post by cutiebunny »

For the person who updated this afternoon/early evening, please check your e-mail. We had a slight problem with one of your entries :hurt:

Important note - To those of you submitting artwork to the animated category, please check that it works prior to hitting the 'submit' key. We've had a couple of problems with the gifs not working. Thus far, we've been able to overcome the issue by listing it as oversized.

For those of you who don't have 5 items to submit in the standard categories, consider drawing something (stick figures!!) and listing it as fan-art. Seriously...we still have 0 entries in that category. :roll:

We're almost halfway through the submission period! Keep it up! :)
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

cutiebunny -- if animations are coming through broken (the thumbs will not/should not animate, but the large image should), then the site is probably resizing them & killing the animation. The images must be at or below the chosen size width (so either 600 or 800 pixels wide or tall), or the site will re-size them. The site wasn't notorious for re-sizing correctly sized images in the past, so I have to imagine it's something silly like some of the images being 601 pixels where it should be exactly 600 or less. ;)
90sKid
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by 90sKid »

Just wanted to say this is my first time joining a contest here, and I really appreciate all the work you guys put into making it happen! I was lucky enough to submit my entries before my power kicked off for three days (x_x) and I finally got it back today so I could post this. xP Thanks again for all the hard work! The contest site looks great and I'm really excited to see all the fantastic sketches! ^_^
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

klet wrote:GK, can we update the first post with the 2011 site link?
I 2nd this! I just had fun hunting for Gabe's post with the link, since I neglected to bookmark it the other day X|. Pretty, pretty please, Goldknight?? :D
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

Sorry for the delay y'all. ZS had to send me a PM about the link. I've been so slammed at work that I haven't been visiting this thread. :sweatdrop Anyhoo....all set! :D
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Just an FYI, I'm going to shut down the submissions around midnight PST, September 4. That means that you have all day Friday and Saturday to submit your artwork.

Due to Hurricane Irene, some members have asked for more time to submit items. If all members who were affected by Irene submit their artwork by September 4, I'll open up the viewing as planned. If not, there will be a slight delay.
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

A pity that background does not appear properly on website, maybe a code conflict.
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

iceman57 wrote:A pity that background does not appear properly on website, maybe a code conflict.
What background & what code conflict?
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

cutiebunny wrote:Just an FYI, I'm going to shut down the submissions around midnight PST, September 4. That means that you have all day Friday and Saturday to submit your artwork.

Due to Hurricane Irene, some members have asked for more time to submit items. If all members who were affected by Irene submit their artwork by September 4, I'll open up the viewing as planned. If not, there will be a slight delay.

Doesn't this mean we will have Sunday as well?
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Nope. All entries must be submitted by the end of Saturday.
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

zerospace wrote:
iceman57 wrote:A pity that background does not appear properly on website, maybe a code conflict.
What background & what code conflict?
This code line:
<BODY Background="background.jpg" Bgproperties="fixed">

Seems not working with background images over 300x200 px, maybe a conflict with a CSS that substitutes it with a plain color, no real idea what happened and certainly quite hard to find out the exact line that substitute it with a color.
Not a priority, as site structure is fully fonctionnal.
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Less than 12 hours left of the submission process!

As of right now, there are some categories that will be cut if more submissions in those categories are not received. For those of you who have been around for a few of these awards, I'm sure you can guess which ones those are. As I've mentioned before, make sure you have a back-up submission in the event that these categories are cut.

'Course the last day there is always a rush of submissions...
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

//OFF-TOPIC (sorry CB!!)
iceman57 wrote:This code line:
<BODY Background="background.jpg" Bgproperties="fixed">
That is HTML, not CSS. And, at that, the attribute bgproperties is an IE supported only HTML background property which has been deprecated (for quite awhile). The site uses CSS to apply backgrounds and it is generally better practice for cross-browser support to do it that way, anyways. I presume you're talking about a watermarked background, which would be easily accomplished with the following CSS:

Code: Select all

body {
 background: url('background.jpg');
 background-repeat: no-repeat;
 background-attachment: fixed;
}
Where background.jpg should represent the correct path to the image file to be used. This would go into the style sheet, rather than into the body tag of the HTML. The site is not designed to have the HTML altered, as it is generated on demand by the site PHP source on the server (as this forum also is). Nearly every part of the page is customizable via CSS classes and ids, which can be edited in the site's style sheet, which I know Gabe knows how to alter, as he's done it ;).

If you want to discuss this further, iceman, please PM me. I wrote the original site source code and am very familiar with how to make it do or display just about anything I'd want.

//end of off-topic post (again, sorry folks!!)
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

If you submitted your entry sometime between 12pm & 4pm PST today, please check your emails as there were problems with both entries.

Just as a note - I will not be able to monitor the submissions much between now and the end of the submission process. If your entry does not work either because it does not fit the criteria or, in the case of the animated entries, doesn't work, I will not be able to send a warning email prior to the deadline. If your submission is either invalid, placed in the wrong category or doesn't work due to user error, your entry will be deleted. I'm sorry if this impacts anyone, but, y'all have had a week to submit entries, and waiting until the last minute to do so is not advisable.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Ok - the submission period is now closed. Thanks to everyone who submitted artwork this year :)

Eliminated Categories (Due to receiving less than 3 entries)

- Fan Art
- Hybrid
- Special Effect
- Vehicle

For those entrants affected by the category elimination, please email me a replacement image by the end of September 6 (in other words, by midnight PST on September 7) to ab.award2011@gmail.com and your image will be replaced. Otherwise, those entries will be deleted.

Due to the category elimination and the submission delay due to Hurricane Irene, instead of having a viewing period, I'll just open it up to viewing and voting at the same time.

Thanks for your patience and we'll try to open up voting as soon as we can.