2011 Anime Beta Sketch Awards Rules & Info

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Re: 2011 Anime Beta Sketch Awards Rules & Info

Post by ReiTheJelly »

cutiebunny wrote: For those entrants affected by the category elimination, please email me a replacement image by the end of September 6 (in other words, by midnight PST on September 7)
It's much less confusing if you just use 11:59pm PT (23:59) as the ending time. I've found that it helps dispel the confusion of having the ending time be one minute later and thus, the ending date changes. :D
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I sent out an email with instructions to the affected parties, so, if you submitted artwork to any of the dropped categories (Fan Art, Hybrid, Special Effects, Vehicle), please check the email account that you referenced for your submissions asap.
Gabe
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Gabe »

:topic

I'm wondering what happened to Joost?
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Gabe wrote:I'm wondering what happened to Joost?
I was wondering the same thing when I got the PM from you asking about the site code ;).
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Background inserted on site, hope you like the design from the great wave of Kanagawa in a pencil sketch version.
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Post by Yupa »

Yes, it looks great!

*Is eagerly awaiting the start of the voting period* I'm looking forward to seeing all artwork! /ok
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Yupa wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing all artwork!
Can't wait too :)
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

What about the voting you’re not allowed to vote for yourself right? Wasn’t this always a rule in the cel contests

Yupa wrote:Yes, it looks great!

*Is eagerly awaiting the start of the voting period* I'm looking forward to seeing all artwork! /ok
Me too! :^^:
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

D123 wrote:What about the voting you’re not allowed to vote for yourself right? Wasn’t this always a rule in the cel contests
No you can vote for your own artwork if you feel it is the best in it's catagory.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I wouldn't have submitted my entries if I didn't think they were best. Though to be true I've occasionally broken down and conceded that one of the other items was dang good.
eyes0nme19
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by eyes0nme19 »

"September 4-6: Viewing Period"

Technically does this mean we can view the submissions? I tried looking at them but it's not open. Or is it because we have to wait for the voting period to see them.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Due to submission delays for those members affected by Hurricane Irene and the elimination of categories, viewing and voting will begin on Sep 7.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Viewing and Voting are now open. You can view and vote on all the lovelies until 11:59pm on September 14. All entrants must vote on all artwork, with exception of the optional categories that you did not submit artwork to. Those who did not submit any artwork are more than welcome to vote.

Now that the important part of the announcement is over with, it's time to air some dirty laundry.

Well, what awards cycle would be complete without some sort of drama....and this one is no different. Seems I already get to award the FAIL ribbon to our two cheaters.

During the submission process, we noticed that the image files were being accessed. In short, someone was scanning the image folders on the site's server and looking for changes every 20 minutes. While they were not able to see the images, they were aware of how many entries were in each category. This means that they could wait until the last day and make their submissions based on what categories had fewer items. This person waited until the day before the end of the submission process to enter.

It turns out that someone on the awards staff was aiding in facilitating this. The facilitator mentioned that the person who looked at the files was in debt to them, and is possible that this could be used against the cheater as a form of blackmail.

This really irks me to no end. The awards are a source of entertainment for us. The only thing you win is a little graphic. That's it. That someone would try to gain an unfair advantage over all participants is bad. That someone involved in the awards process would deem fit to possibly use this as extortion really pisses me off. And then, to have the audacity to not only allow this sick situation to play itself out, but to ask that it's not mentioned on the boards....?!

:ok:

So, Zetsuai and our facilitator (whose user ID will only be privately mentioned to future award organizers unless any more tampering on the site occurs.. ), here's what happening.

1) Both of your entries have been deleted.

2) Both of you are not allowed to vote in this year's Anime Beta Sketch Awards.

3) Whether you both will be allowed to participate in any future awards will be determined by the Anime Beta members. Whether you both will be allowed to organize/aide any future awards will also be determined by the members of this board.

Oooh...I feel much better. And yes, I've always wanted to use that icon.
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Post by Yupa »

Wow... that is sad. You did the right thing there.

There's some amazing artwork, in some categories it was very difficult to choose! I found myself voting for other artwork than my own entries in some categories.
The only thing which annoyed me is that some images were much larger than the allowed normal size or pan size.
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

sensei wrote:I wouldn't have submitted my entries if I didn't think they were best. Though to be true I've occasionally broken down and conceded that one of the other items was dang good.
Haha I guess so :) for some reason I thought that was a rule :?

I’m still deciding what to vote for they're all so good it’s a tough decision :wow: :cry:

cutiebunny wrote: Now that the important part of the announcement is over with, it's time to air some dirty laundry...

This really irks me to no end. The awards are a source of entertainment for us. The only thing you win is a little graphic. That's it
:crackup but that little graphic means so much :P :crackup