2011 Anime Beta Sketch Awards Rules & Info

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
Goldknight
RULER

2011 Anime Beta Sketch Awards Rules & Info

Post by Goldknight »

CATEGORIES:

(S) = sketch
(H) = Hanken
(MS) = Model Sketch
(P) = Painting (must be on paper)
(A) = Autograph
(Ill) = Illustration
(St) = Storyboard
(Sh) = Shikishi
(Hy) = Hybrid

* indicates optional categories

Accessory - Any inanimate object that does not fit into any of the other categories such as items that character is holding, using, swinging, playing, aiming or items that appear alone. (S)
Action - Scenes of action, movement, motion. (S)
Background - No characters allowed. (S)
Children - Youth, babies, kids. (S)
Comic/Manga Art - Original art from comic artists and manga-kas
Creature - Animals, monsters, pets, catgirls, demons. (S)
Cute - Adorable, precious, toothache inducing. (S)
Injured/Death - Grievously injured characters or those that have already passed away. (S)
Fan Art - Made by you or another artist. (S, P)
Female - The fairer sex. (S)
Funny - Laugh out loud moments. (S)
Group - Art of two or more characters. (S)
Hanken - Art used for merchandise or other non-production special circumstances. Hankens are not allowed in any other category except hentai. (H)
Heroic - White knight saves the day. (S)
Hybrid - Artwork that incorporates original artwork with xeroxed work. More than 50% of the drawing must be original art. Hybrid artwork is not allowed in any other category. (Hy)
Insanity - crazy, nuts, psychotic, loony (S)
Joy - Extreme happiness. (S)
Male - Boys, men, guys, bishonen. (S)
Outfit - Best dressed, emphasis on clothes and costumes. (S)
Rage - Mad, angry, extreme agitation. (S)
Robot - Our mechanical friends. (S)
Romance - Kissing, hugging, cuddling, anything non-explicit. (S)
Shikishii/Signatures - Original signatures and/or artwork drawn by industry artists. Only the artist's signature and accompanying sketch are allowed for submission, all other images must be cropped out.
Shocked - Stunned, horrified, utter dismay. (S)
Sorrow - Tear-jerkers, sadness. (S)
Special Effect - Power bursts, transformation effects, etc. (S)
Tranquility - Characters who have found their inner peace. (S)
Vehicle - Cars, boats, planes, bicycles, et cetera. (S)
Villainous - Archenemies, evil scientists, meanies, wicked bad guys. (S)

Animated* - Short sequences of animated artwork. (S)
Hentai* - Sexually explicit & nude. All pairings welcome! (S, H)
Settei* - Characters, items or scenery. Settei are not allowed in any other category. (MS)
Storyboard* – the initial draft of how the sequence should run. (St)
Worst* - The ugliest, most poorly drawn sketch you own. No random body-part submissions, please! Seriously hideous artwork only. (S)
Eligibility Rules
1.) You must be a registered member of Anime-Beta by the start of the submission process.

2.) You must physically own all artwork that you submit. You may not submit artwork which has been sold, or for which a sale is pending. Submitted artwork does not have to be posted in your online gallery.

3.) Submitted artwork may not include watermarks or any other type of 'tag' that could affiliate it with a gallery or owner.

4.) If you submit artwork for consideration in this contest, you must vote for all standard categories. The only exceptions are the optional categories (animated, hentai, settei, storyboard). These categories are both optional to vote in and optional to submit artwork to. However, if you submit artwork to an optional category, you must vote in that category.

5.) Even if you do not submit artwork, you may still vote in any or all of the categories.

6.) You may only vote once for each category. Participants creating false identities in order to vote multiple times will be disqualified and risk a ban from future contests.

Punishment for breaking the rules of this contest is at the coordinator's discretion.

Submission Rules:

1.) Participants are eligible to enter the contest in 5 standard categories and 5 optional categories, for a total of 10 pieces of artwork submitted.

2.) While a participant may choose to enter 10 pieces of artwork, you are not required to submit nine different items. You choose to enter fewer items.

3.) In order to cut down on bandwidth usage, please limit your entries to the following dimensions:

Standard sketch: 600 pixels wide, 300kb in size
Horizontal pan sketch: 800 pixels wide, 300kb in size
Vertical pan sketch: 800 pixels high, 300kb in size

Animated: same pixel restrictions as above, size limit is increased to 800kb.

4.) Artwork which was previously entered into the Anime-Beta Sketch Awards is eligible for re-entry, provided that the winning piece has changed owners. If you choose to submit a previous winning piece, you must e-mail the contest coordinator before submitting it. This way, the organizer knows the piece has changed owners and that it is a qualified entry. If you do not e-mail the coordinator, your entry will be disqualified. Please check previous awards websites carefully.

5.) Sequence mates of previous winners will be allowed if there is a substantial difference between the two. Please inform the contest coordinator which piece you are submitting a sequence mate of. You may not submit a sequence mate if you also own the previous winning piece.

6.) Sequence mates in the same category are not permitted. Whomever submits the artwork first will be given a spot in that category. If you submit a sequence mate to an item that is already in a category, you will have the chance to re-submit another item to any available category in lieu of the repeated piece.

7.) Categories with fewer than three entries will be eliminated. You will have the chance to re-submit artwork to another category.

8.) INDUSTRY ART: If an industry artist signed something that is not a standard shikishi board/blank piece of paper, only the signature and any original accompanying artwork are allowed to be submitted. In other words, if an industry artist signed their name and drew a smiley face on a poster, you may only submit the portion of the poster that contains the signature and the smiley face.

9.) ANIMATED ART: Animated submissions may only include that which was part of the original studio animated sequence; no flashing lights, no disco music, nothing else.

10.) Modification and/or enhancement of images is not permitted. The only exception is for oversized images requiring multiple scans. You may piece these scans together to make a complete image. Sketches may also be darkened to enhance the lines, but please be aware that if you make them too dark, the contest organizers may mistake your production art as being photocopied and disqualify it. The images submitted should be similar in appearance to if you were physically viewing the artwork in person.

Time Line:

August 28-September 3: Anime-Beta members submit entries
September 4-6: Viewing Period
September 7-14: Voting
End of September: Winners Announced/Award Graphics Up

Please e-mail cutiebunny[at]gmail.com with any questions, comments, concerns.

The URL for the 2011 contest website is http://www.gabe.ch/award-sketch2011/index.php

Previous Contests:

2005: http://www.bbakira.co.uk/beta/index.htm

2006: http://betaawards.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

2007: http://www.zetsuai.eu/5thAnnualBetaAwards/index.php

2008: http://betaawards08.zero-space.net/

2009 Sketch Awards: http://basketch09.zero-space.net

2010 Sketch Awards: http://2010sketch.zero-space.net/index.php

2011 Sketch Awards: http://www.gabe.ch/award-sketch2011/index.php
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Re: 2011 Anime Beta Sketch Awards Rules & Info

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Is this still a "go" for next week?
Gabe
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Gabe »

Yep, it is. ^^
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kathpatty »

A Man Who Views The World The Same At Fifty As He Did At Twenty Has Wasted Thirty Years Of His Life. - Muhammad Ali
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

We sure are. I can't wait to see all the submissions!
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kathpatty »

tomorrow, tomorrow :multi :multi
A Man Who Views The World The Same At Fifty As He Did At Twenty Has Wasted Thirty Years Of His Life. - Muhammad Ali
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Post by Yupa »

Looking forward to it! I'm currently looking through my sketches to try to match them with the categories. I have a few copy layouts that came with backgrounds, however I couldn't find a rule that states they have to be the original sketches. So are they eligible for submission?
Last edited by Yupa on Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Ack! I'm glad someone posted a reminder about tomorrow X|, I still need to find a larger scan of one of my sketches :l. I also hope no categories are eliminated due to low entry counts this time around!
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Yupa wrote:Looking forward to it! I'm currently looking through my sketches to try to match them with the categories. I have a few copy layouts that came with backgrounds, however I couldn't find a rule that states they have to be the original sketches. So are they eligible for submission?
With exception of the Hybrid category, all sketches must be original sketches (no copied/xeroxed artwork). In the Hybrid category, you may submit an item that does have xeroxed lines on it, but the majority of the artwork (at least 50%) needs to be original. Sensei gave a good example as to what a hybrid sketch looks like on the Hybrid topic, so you might want to check that out if you plan on submitting an item to the hybrid category.

Meh..I have to stay up late tonight, so I may open the submissions tonight around midnight. I would recommend having a back-up art item scanned in the event that one of the categories is eliminated. I will not post daily updates regarding category entries, as this penalizes those who submit early. Many of you have participated in these awards for years, and by now I'm sure you're familiar with what categories tend to have fewer entries (ie. robot).
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

cutiebunny wrote:Many of you have participated in these awards for years, and by now I'm sure you're familiar with what categories tend to have fewer entries (ie. robot).
I shall save the robot category this year! :rollin If I were allowed, I could probably fill it with entries, considering how much giant robot artwork I own :P.
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Post by Yupa »

Thanks for clearing that up cutiebunny. I assume settei and storyboards can be copies too? (Just asking to be sure ;))
Last edited by Yupa on Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

zerospace wrote:I shall save the robot category this year! :rollin If I were allowed, I could probably fill it with entries, considering how much giant robot artwork I own :P.
You know, this might be something to consider for future awards - the ability to submit more than 1 entry to a category. There are a lot of members who have genre specific collections, and it doesn't make sense to force members to submit artwork into categories that they don't collect, or limit entries due to not having artwork that fits into the appropriate categories.

Yupa, everything has to be original...and these include settei and storyboards. If the settei or storyboard is a copy (such as the majority of settei/storyboards sold on Mandarake), you can't submit it. If your entries are found to be copies (and it's not in hybrid), it will be disqualified and you will not be allowed to submit a replacement item.

Copied artwork is only allowed in the hybrid category if the majority of the artwork on that sheet of paper is not copied. The reason why settei and storyboard are optional categories is because original settei/storyboards tend to be very pricey and/or rare. Optional categories target specifics tastes and abilities, such as those that can spend time photoshopping entire animation sequences.
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Post by Yupa »

Oh good that I asked then, I planned on submitting a settei which I now clearly shouldn't. I've seen some entries in previous contests which looked copied so that's why I thought it was allowed. Everything's clear now, thanks! :D

Well I do have one more question about the Animated category. I managed to resize my animated gif to 600 px wide, but I didn't manage to compress it to less than 800 KB. The original is 3.14 MB, but when I compress it to 127 colors it's still 1.27 MB. Even when I compress it to 31 colors it's still 1.15 MB (and it looks horrible).
Now I probably could cut out a large part of the animation (half of it consists of a talking mouth layer anyway), but I'd rather show the whole cut. So I was wondering if you could be a bit more lenient on animated gif file sizes or if I should start cutting.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

At this stage of the game, I'm going to have to say no, simply because it's unfair to those who might have already created their file within the perimeters given. However, if you want to address the size issue for future awards, that would be fine. As sketches become more and more prevalent in this hobby, I would imagine that the animated files would get larger as well.

The AB awards depend largely on integrity, and it is impossible for anyone who runs the awards to verify that every participant owns every item. If someone really wanted to, they could take a pic off YJ or Mandarake and submit it for an award. And while you hope that the possibility of winning a graphic won't entice people to cheat, it does happen.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Yupa wrote:Well I do have one more question about the Animated category. I managed to resize my animated gif to 600 px wide, but I didn't manage to compress it to less than 800 KB. The original is 3.14 MB, but when I compress it to 127 colors it's still 1.27 MB. Even when I compress it to 31 colors it's still 1.15 MB (and it looks horrible).
Now I probably could cut out a large part of the animation (half of it consists of a talking mouth layer anyway), but I'd rather show the whole cut. So I was wondering if you could be a bit more lenient on animated gif file sizes or if I should start cutting.
Yupa, what program are you using to do your animation editing? You should be able to use Adobe ImageReady's optimization features to come out with a nice looking animation that meets the file size requirements.