AB Sketch Awards 2013 Discussion (New)

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

AB Sketch Awards 2013 Discussion (New)

Post by JWR »

Ok the members have decided by vote to have the Sketch Awards for this year.
This discussion thread is for categories for this years awards.
Below is a list from the previous years awards. For that year Hybrid, Storyboard (optional) & Worst (optional) were added. This years cel awards added OP/ED/Eyecatch as a new catagory.
Please review the categories and discuss if we want to add or contract any categories.

I have agreeded to chair this contest but can use as much help as I can. So far both Sensei and Anime Obsessed have offered to help but more are welcome. If anyone would like to create the "Trophies" for this years awards we can use that for I can admit my computer skills are lacking in the department.

We want this years awards to be a fun time for all.

Best Always,
Joe Ryan - JWR

CATEGORIES:

(S) = sketch
(H) = Hanken
(MS) = Model Sketch
(P) = Painting (must be on paper)
(A) = Autograph
(Ill) = Illustration
(St) = Storyboard
(Sh) = Shikishi
(Hy) = Hybrid

* indicates optional categories

Accessory - Any inanimate object that does not fit into any of the other categories such as items that character is holding, using, swinging, playing, aiming or items that appear alone. (S)
Action - Scenes of action, movement, motion. (S)
Background - No characters allowed. (S)
Children - Youth, babies, kids. (S)
Comic/Manga Art - Original art from comic artists and manga-kas
Creature - Animals, monsters, pets, catgirls, demons. (S)
Cute - Adorable, precious, toothache inducing. (S)
Injured/Death - Grievously injured characters or those that have already passed away. (S)
Fan Art - Made by you or another artist. (S, P)
Female - The fairer sex. (S)
Funny - Laugh out loud moments. (S)
Group - Art of two or more characters. (S)
Hanken - Art used for merchandise or other non-production special circumstances. Hankens are not allowed in any other category except hentai. (H)
Heroic - White knight saves the day. (S)
Hybrid - Artwork that incorporates original artwork with xeroxed work. More than 50% of the drawing must be original art. Hybrid artwork is not allowed in any other category. (Hy)
Insanity - crazy, nuts, psychotic, loony (S)
Joy - Extreme happiness. (S)
Male - Boys, men, guys, bishonen. (S)
Outfit - Best dressed, emphasis on clothes and costumes. (S)
Rage - Mad, angry, extreme agitation. (S)
Robot - Our mechanical friends. (S)
Romance - Kissing, hugging, cuddling, anything non-explicit. (S)
Shikishii/Signatures - Original signatures and/or artwork drawn by industry artists. Only the artist's signature and accompanying sketch are allowed for submission, all other images must be cropped out.
Shocked - Stunned, horrified, utter dismay. (S)
Sorrow - Tear-jerkers, sadness. (S)
Special Effect - Power bursts, transformation effects, etc. (S)
Tranquility - Characters who have found their inner peace. (S)
Vehicle - Cars, boats, planes, bicycles, et cetera. (S)
Villainous - Archenemies, evil scientists, meanies, wicked bad guys. (S)

Animated* - Short sequences of animated artwork. (S)
Hentai* - Sexually explicit & nude. All pairings welcome! (S, H)
Settei* - Characters, items or scenery. Settei are not allowed in any other category. (MS)
Storyboard* – the initial draft of how the sequence should run. (St)
Worst* - The ugliest, most poorly drawn sketch you own. No random body-part submissions, please! Seriously hideous artwork only. (S)
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
JWR

Re: AB Sketch Awards 2013 Discussion (New)

Post by JWR »

Bump
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

For the sake of stirring up some useful discussion, I'm reminding the forum that we did some innovative things with the cel awards contest by adding "Random" categories that were intended as experimental or just "once-in-a-while" slots. I can no longer find the Official 2013 Cel Awards thread, but this "Random" categories was tried out:
OPTION In a Sticky Situation – Character or characters between a rock and a hard place
That one quickly filled with entries and seemed successful. There was another (Novel Setup) that is non-relevant to sketches; still, we might revisit this idea and ask if there are themes that are common, especially in new CGI series, which the old categories don't honor. I personally liked "Hair" as a possible category.

Also, we revisited some of the old definitions:
Death - Characters on the verge of death, or those that really are dying or dead.
Love - Kissing, hugging, cuddling, any displays of affection, innocent or physical – just not explicit.
Tranquility - Characters who have found inner peace or a welcome opportunity to unwind.
Any other definitions need tweaking?
JWR

Post by JWR »

What I copied and pasted here is the last set of decided rules and categories used in the 2011 Genga contest which was the latest I could find that relates to the Genga/sketch awards.

The purpose of putting these up for discussion is to fix any problems now so this contest can be a fun experience for now and in the future.

I am open to any and all suggestions. I have the basic site built and can easily add or change any category before we start the contest.
Yuri-chan
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Yuri-chan »

I'm curious about the possibility of continuing the OP/ED/Eyecatch Category for the sketch awards. I honestly don't understand the issue in judging it, since it seems to me Hanken, Shikishii, Settei and Comic/Manga Art are exact the same. All of the aforementioned categories appear to exist solely to help break down pieces that are difficult to place and unique in appearance. The judging of any of these categories seems to be limited to anyone's unique visual impression (i.e. 'whichever is prettiest'). I don't necessarily see where there is a stronger guideline such as 'the best one depicting sorrow/joy/rage/etc'. My only concern is if there is enough sketch material for this category. I wonder if it's significant enough for it to be considered for the sketch awards?

On a side note, I agree with Sensei, the random categories are cute. Fun categories one can enter pieces in just because. I wouldn't mind seeing some more of them as optional categories. Also, I support keeping Storyboard and Worst.
JWR

Post by JWR »

Yuri-chan wrote:I'm curious about the possibility of continuing the OP/ED/Eyecatch Category for the sketch awards. I honestly don't understand the issue in judging it, since it seems to me Hanken, Shikishii, Settei and Comic/Manga Art are exact the same. All of the aforementioned categories appear to exist solely to help break down pieces that are difficult to place and unique in appearance. The judging of any of these categories seems to be limited to anyone's unique visual impression (i.e. 'whichever is prettiest'). I don't necessarily see where there is a stronger guideline such as 'the best one depicting sorrow/joy/rage/etc'. My only concern is if there is enough sketch material for this category. I wonder if it's significant enough for it to be considered for the sketch awards?

On a side note, I agree with Sensei, the random categories are cute. Fun categories one can enter pieces in just because. I wouldn't mind seeing some more of them as optional categories. Also, I support keeping Storyboard and Worst.
Unless someone voices an exception I plan on adding all of those into this years sketch contest.
sensei

Post by sensei »

We need to keep in mind that the judging is more a social thing than a strictly formal evaluation on the basis of agreed-upon criteria. Yeah, if you want to look at it that, a popularity contest. But actually it gets people looking at a wider variety of art than they are used to, and the viewing often yields a lot of surprises. Some people vote for a series that they know and like, others for items they know are owned by close friends, and some (like me) just based on that indefinable "Oh golly gee holy crapola!" reaction that goes off in my head when I see something I really like. It all seems to wash out in the mix, and if people have a good time viewing and voting, then getting a trophy or two is lagniappe.

BTW,JWR: did you get those guidelines on how to give awards in case of tie votes? (E.g., if two items tie for top vote, they both get First Prize, but there is no Second, and the next vote-getter receives Third, etc. etc. etc.) Also what to do if there are only three items in a category (one First, no Second or Third; if two items tie for top, then no awards given that year because that would identify the third item as "Worst in Category," etc. etc. etc.). It's all intuitive but ought to be set down so there's no room for post-awards disputes.