Awards are now open

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Awards are now open

Post by JWR »

The voting has been completed and the award winners are now up for your viewing

http://absa2013.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

We had 19 members contribute artwork to this contest and 24 members placed votes to determine the winners.

By the amount of ties in this contest this year is an attestment to how hard it was to choose when presented with so many qualty entries.
Several caregories had a single vote make the difference in placement. Only one entry ran away with it's category. Not due to a lack of quality of the other entries but more to the fact that one piece captured the spirit of it's category perfectly.

I would like to thank Sensei & Animeobsessed for their help in setting up and helping run this contest as well as Bulleta for designing the trophies.
There were a few things that popped up I did not forsee such as needing different programs to open zip files as well as needing a trick to be able to upload the animated gif files to RS. (Thanks to Benten for the tip on that).

I can say it was a bit of work for all of us but it went smoothly and was quite fun. We had quite a few new people enter this time including one who has been around for a while and finally decided to enter something. We all hope that whether you won an award or not that you found this years contest to be fun for that was our goal.

Joe Ryan - JWR
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: Awards are now open

Post by kathpatty »

Thanks to you all :bow :cheers
A Man Who Views The World The Same At Fifty As He Did At Twenty Has Wasted Thirty Years Of His Life. - Muhammad Ali
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Post by Yupa »

Thank you everyone for making this happen! :hello :hello :hello /thx

I think this year's went very well. I would've liked to see more people participating, but the current selection was also very fun to look through. The only thing I want to say is that I rather have all entries still visible. They were all excellent, not having an award is not a shame.

To me it went better than expected. I only had 3 entries, but 2 of them won 2nd place. Thanks for voting for my entries! :bow2: :D
Last edited by Yupa on Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zetsuai
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Zetsuai »

thanks a lot for this years nice contest ... :bny ...
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

the art as always is great and fun to look through,
big thanks to the organizers, Joe, Sensei & AO
[hope i didnt miss anyone] for all their efforts for
this contest and also providing an interesting thread in these quiet days here,
:cheers :cheers :cheers
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Many thanks to Joe for having what it takes to accept the leadership job and all the technical and social hassles that go with it. I did what I could in the time I had to support, but I appreciate the extra effort that Joe had to put in to bring the various aspects of the contest to completion in short order. Plus Bulleta's trophies, as always, are colorful and cute.

Also thanks to the voters for your support of Karada-chan (from Asatte no Houkou) in the "Children" category. I'm also pleased to have won another "Second" in the "Worst" category (it would be equally sad to win "First" or not to win a trophy at all). And kudos to all Betarians who entered, voted, or simply thought reviving this tradition was a healthy idea.
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

oopps i forgot to mention i thought the award design looked great too!
:bounce
JWR

Post by JWR »

Yupa wrote: The only thing I want to say is that I rather have all entries still visible. They were all excellent
No problem that's an easy fix (Do note those not winning are in random order and NOT displayed by vote count)
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

Thank you JWR, Sensei, Animeobsessed, and Bulleta for a great event.
And, Benten, I was surprised to see the animated .gifs uploaded to RS.
It was like magic!

Thank you to everyone who voted.

For anyone interested in what shows my entries were from, see below for a list:

Female 1st - Battle Angel (Gunnm), 1993
http://absa2013.rubberslug.com/gallery/ ... mID=369054

Hanken 1st - Peacock King (Kujaku-Oh): A Harvest of Cherry Blossoms, 1991
http://absa2013.rubberslug.com/gallery/ ... mID=369055

Love 1st - Five Star Stories, 1989
http://absa2013.rubberslug.com/gallery/ ... mID=369059

Rage 1st - Souten Kouro, 2009
http://absa2013.rubberslug.com/gallery/ ... mID=369058

Animated 1st - Street Fighter II: Movie, 1994
http://absa2013.rubberslug.com/gallery/ ... mID=369061

Hentai 2nd - Berserk Golden Age: Descent, 2013
http://absa2013.rubberslug.com/gallery/ ... mID=369057

Storyboard 2nd - Heroic Legend Of Arislan, Movie II (Trailer), 1992
http://absa2013.rubberslug.com/gallery/ ... mID=369060
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

Awesome! It was so much fun seeing all the different artwork. There are some lovely sketches out there. :love:

Thanks to bulleta, JWR, Animeobessed, and sensei for their work on this contest!

And finally, thanks to everyone who voted for my pieces! I am truly honored that anyone besides me finds them worthwhile. And congrats to all the other participants. It was so hard picking the best!
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

YAY - I actually did good. First time I ever entered the sketch awards.
Only entered one, but tied for first. May have to try again next year!!
Thanks to all for your votes!! :bounce
tex-chan
Bish Mistress

Post by tex-chan »

What a fun contest, and what a fun time seeing all those fantastic and beautiful sketches and original artwork. For me, that's my favorite thing about any of these contests: just seeing what folks pull out of their cel books to show off to the rest of us. Thanks to everyone who entered, as viewing all of the sketches and art was a special treat.

Congratulations to all the winners, and many thanks to all the organizers, whose hard work and dedication not only made this contest possible, but kept things fun, too. And many, many thanks to the folks who voted for my entries. I appreciate it very much. :)
GoalieZero
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by GoalieZero »

Thanks for the contest! I was pleasantly surprised to Tie for 1st and get a 3rd placer in my first contest! :bounce
Cheers to everyone who voted and competed! All the sketches were awesome!
bulleta
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by bulleta »

A big thanks to the organizers for putting this on. And thank you to everyone who threw a vote my way. 8)

If I messed up anyone's award, just shoot me a PM and I'll correct it for you. :D
90sKid
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by 90sKid »

Thanks guys for the great work on this contest! I always love it when online communities come together and create fun contests like this, so I really appreciate you guys setting this one up. ^_^ Also I just wanted to say I loved the award design too, such a cute idea with the pencil can and eraser. :)