Yearly sketch awards sites

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
majinuub
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Yearly sketch awards sites

Post by majinuub »

Last edited by majinuub on Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Yearly sketch awards sites

Post by sensei »

I am fairly certain that sketches were not included in the annual contest before 2004. There was a bit of grousing in that contest, as the category was "Best Genga" and the winner was a douga. (A fine, eyeworthy honorable entry, I hasten to say, and one that would be fully eligible under current entry rules ... but it illustrates how "genga" just meant "sketch" at the time for most people.)
majinuub

Post by majinuub »

I believe your right sensei since 2005 has a best genga sketch awards and cg animation was in its infant stages at that time, but it would've been nice to have a link to them anyway.

Btw, I was being lazy when creating this thread and just copy/pasted the text in the other awards thread I made :P . I was also a bit sad to discover that there wasn't a 2012 awards(most likely when the activity on this site started to decline).
sensei

Post by sensei »

As I recall, the 2011 sketch awards ended in a bit of controversy, which put both that and the cel contest behind schedule. When I moved to mod status, it was interesting to learn that the old group of administrators were very dubious about continuing the tradition, suspecting that it would stir up more trouble. Even I took a lot of unkind ribbing from Sluggers in 2013 when I pushed the issue and found I had to back off from the leader position. I'm glad we prevailed, though, as for the most part it's generated positive excitement and teamwork.
majinuub

Post by majinuub »

That explains a lot. I don't recall the situation as I was in lurker mode during that time, but I'm sure I can find it if I just check out the awards thread for them(as a last resort when I'm bored at home).