Annual Sketch Contest 2016!-WINNERS ARE UP!!!!

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
Gabe
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Annual Sketch Contest 2016 is here!!

Post by Gabe »

I think you got me wrong here. It wasn't meant to put them all together in one category.
From my point of view Shikishi's are a separate league. They deserve their own awards and categories.
Not sure if I'm the only one but i don't vote for a shikishi in the cel awards as example. I also don't vote for a Rilezu or Repro in the Hanken category.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

So you're suggesting that we hold annual shikishi awards? Or are you suggesting that we have duplicate categories; 1 for cels, 1 for douga/genga and 1 for shikishi?

If it's the first option that you're suggesting, sadly, we can barely muster enough people to scrap together an annual cel award, let alone a sketch awards. There are not enough volunteers who are willing to donate their own personal time to organize this event. The awards are usually done by the same 5-10 people every year. There are also few active people on this board that collect no more than the quick doodle handed to them at autograph sessions. Going on just the submissions from this past Cel Awards, meeting the '3 item/category' rule would be impossible. I seem to recall that the original artwork submitted during this past award period largely came from no more than three entrants.

As for the second possibility of splitting the categories up so there's a special shikishi variant of each category, I'm in the 'no' camp here. In addition to not having enough entrants submitting original art, logistically speaking and even assuming that 3 items would be submitted for every shikishi category, it would be a nightmare trying to vote because you now have almost double the amount of categories to vote on. It usually takes me a solid 15-20 minutes to finish voting now since there's a lot of good stuff submitted.

TBH, I don't think shikishi "deserve" their own awards. They're usually no more well drawn than half the stuff key animators produce. Watching the Mandarake BWAs this morning has made more acutely aware than ever that cels, CCS OP cels for that matter, can command the same prices that shikishi often sell for. On what basis do you feel that they "deserve" their own award contest/categories?

Regarding your comment about the rilezu/repro cels; I don't think it's necessary to reinvent the wheel every time an awards period comes up. We, as a group, have hashed out the current rules to be an inclusive to collectors of all forms of artwork. It is also why it's important to be an active member of this community; Your voice was silent on the issue of repro cels when it came up in 2013. :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=29661 (Also has links to the 2010 & 2011 discussions)
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Second @nowherekid85 and @cutiebunny, the change was made to be more inclusive to those who feel left out of the community, because A-they are not really collecting cels anymore... or B-They have no interest in cels and prefer to go after original art from creators. And a god a Third contest, are you all trying to kill me?

While I have obscene amount of production sketch art, not everyone does because their favorite shows like Fate/Stay Night, Attack on Titan, and Psycho-Pass for example (newest shows I could think of) the Studios are very slow in releasing the art and some even out right burn it. So in the interest of including everyone this made the most sense. ^_^

@Gabe I suggest you check out @cutiebunny's amazing Shikishi collection it really is diverse and there are many things I mentally... um... fondle... ^_^;;

*Oh ho ho ho* /heh

Not voting for repros makes sense because there are so many in sets of 100-10000 the possibility of duplicates can be annoying. I disagree with the stance on Rilezus, because these are still considered studio art, and are often more beautiful than production pieces cause each Rilezu is a one off... meaning there is only one in the world that was carefully handpainted by a senior painter. A good example where Rilezus are one of a kind or in VERY small numbers are the 10-15 Haibane Renmei Rilezu that were created after the show ended, they are the only examples of the art left because ALL of the production art was destroyed. Does that mean that a piece like that should not be entered in the contest?

I very much think not.
Gabe
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Gabe »

cutiebunny wrote: So you're suggesting that we hold annual shikishi awards? Or are you suggesting that we have duplicate
categories; 1 for cels, 1 for douga/genga and 1 for shikishi? ....
Nope not an annual contest. Maybe a mixed one. Something like an optional section.
How many diferent shikishi are around? Something like 5 categories (close up, female, male, villain and
mechas as example) should be ok. Restrict the categories to 18 (as example) in the main section.

cutiebunny wrote: Regarding your comment about the rilezu/repro cels; I don't think it's necessary to reinvent the wheel
every time an awards period comes up. We, as a group, have hashed out the current rules to be an inclusive
to collectors of all forms of artwork. ....
I don't have any issues against rilezu so they can be added. With the rilezu thing i just liked to say that
i only vote on the items that fits the category. Btw. in the last cel award there is a hanken entry that even
isn't a real hanken at all.

Jadeduo wrote: ...
@Gabe I suggest you check out @cutiebunny's amazing Shikishi collection it really is diverse and there are
many things I mentally... um... fondle... ^_^;;
Yep, i know her collection and some other shikishi collector.
This is why i came up with the idea to do something separate for the shikishi's.
Jadeduo wrote: ...
A good example where
Rilezus are one of a kind or in VERY small numbers are the 10-15 Haibane Renmei Rilezu that were created
after the show ended, they are the only examples of the art left because ALL of the production art was
destroyed. Does that mean that a piece like that should not be entered in the contest?
Sure they can be added no problem at all from my side.

The things i said is just something that went through my mind.
Yep, I'm lurker and not really active here at all.
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

I just updated the sketch sections this year to go by what they had discussed during the last cel awards. I'm not familiar with shikishi so I asked the experts what categories they should apply to, and the answer was pretty much anything that's emotional based or maybe action based would work. Just not the technical sections, for shikishi.

While shikishi are a lot different from the sketches, I do agree that it makes more sense to judge them based on the category, versus having them all lumped together in one shikishi category.
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

Five more days until it's time to start submitting entries!!!

Would anybody like to take on the role of site tester?
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

Site tester position has been filled by Halzacar!

4 days until it's time to submit!

Any last minute questions or concerns?
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

Accidental post.
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

Well since it looks like discussion is pretty much over, and there's technically only a few hours left until the 16th, I guess everybody can just go ahead and start submitting entries now!!!

Please make sure the entries are small enough files, basically if they can load to RS, they should be fine.

Reminder:

ELIGIBILITY RULES

1.) You must be a registered member of Anime-Beta by the start of the submission process.
2.) You must physically own all artwork that you submit. You may not submit artwork which has been sold, or for which a sale is pending. Submitted artwork does not have to be posted in your online gallery.
3.) Submitted artwork may not include watermarks or any other type of 'tag' that could affiliate it with a gallery or owner.
4.) If you submit artwork for consideration in this contest, you must vote for all categories. The only exceptions are the optional categories (animated, hentai, settei). These categories are both optional to vote in and optional to submit artwork to. However, you submit artwork to an optional category, you must vote in that category.
5.) Even if you do not submit artwork, you may still vote in any or all of the categories.

SUBMISSION RULES

1.) Participants are eligible to enter the contest in 9 standard categories and 3 optional categories, for a total of 12 pieces of artwork submitted.
2.) While a participant may choose to enter 12 pieces of artwork, you are not required to submit twelve items. You may enter fewer items.
3.) In order to cut down on bandwidth usage, please limit your entries to less than 1 MB in size a good rule of thumb is if it doesn't upload to RS it will not upload for the contest!
4.) Artwork which was previously entered into the Anime-Beta Awards is eligible for re-entry, provided that the winning piece has changed owners. If you choose to submit a previous winning piece, you must e-mail the contest coordinator before submitting it. This way, the organizer knows the piece has changed owners and that it is a qualified entry. If you do not e-mail the coordinator, your entry will be disqualified. Please check previous awards websites carefully.
5.) Sequence mates of previous winners will be allowed if there is a substantial difference between the two. Please inform the contest coordinator which piece you are submitting a sequence mate of. You may not submit a sequence mate if you also own the previous winning piece.
6.) Sequence mates in the same category are not permitted. Whoever submits the artwork first will be given a spot in that category. If you submit a sequence mate to an item that is already in a category, you will have the chance to re-submit another item in lieu of the repeated piece.
7.) If a category has only four entries, only #1 and #2 awards will be given. If a category has only three entries, only a #1 award will be given. Categories with fewer than three entries 24 hours before the beginning of voting will be eliminated. Contestants will have the chance to re-submit artwork to another category.
8.) Modification and/or enhancement of images is not permitted. The only exception is for oversized images requiring multiple scans. You may piece these scans together to make a complete image.

How entries are submitted:

E-mail them to ABCelAwards2015 at gmail.com

With each entry, include the following information:

1. Your Beta User ID
2. Category
3. Character Name
4. Anime

Please keep in mind that we may not be familiar with the anime which you are submitting from, so make sure to include all of the required information, with each submission!
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Re: Annual Sketch Contest 2016 is here!!-Now Accepting Entries!!!

Post by nowherekid85 »

21 entries so far!! Between two of us!!

Also-if you are going to submit to the animated category, please send one of the frames from the sequence as a jpg as well, just to make it easier to get an image for the thumbnail for the RS gallery.

Other than that, looking forward to more entries!!
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

29 entries from three people! Keep them coming!!
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

Just to let everybody know what categories entries have been submitted for, here you go.

Zero entries
One entry
Two entries
Three entries-award can be given!

Accessory - Emphasis on what the character is holding, using, swinging, playing, aiming. (S, Sh)
Action - Scenes of action, movement, motion. (S, Sh)
Bishonen - Young men whose beauty (and sex appeal) transcends the boundary of gender. (S, Sh)
Bliss - Dreamy, joyful, heavenly, euphoric. (S, Sh)
Blood on the Ground - Characters that are badly injured, on the verge of death, or dead. (S, Sh)
Chibi/Superdeformed - Characters drawn in a semi-deformed, comical style. (S, Sh)
Femininity - Delicacy, gentleness, maidenly. (S, Sh)
Fight!-Good guy vs bad guy, lover's quarrel...Must show two or more characters engaged in battle. (S, Sh)
Funny - Laugh out loud moments. (S, Sh)
Furries- Have a cel of a furry friend? A dog, a cat, a cabbit, a catgirl/boy? A Kero..... you know ANYTHING with fur? (S, Sh)
Group - Art of two or more characters. (S, Sh)
Grouchy - Show us your best grumpy, resting bitch face! (S, Sh)
Hanken - Art used for merchandise or other non-production special circumstances. Hankens are not allowed in any other category except hentai. (H)
Heroic - Hero/Heroine saves the day! Heroically! (S, Sh)
Itadakimasu!- Our favorite characters stuffing their faces with deliciousness. (S, Sh)
Love - Kissing, hugging, cuddling, any displays of affection, innocent or physical – just not explicit. (S, Sh)
Mech and Tech - Robots, vehicles, ships, cars, gundams, Oh MY! (S, Sh)
Muscles - Beef, brawn flesh, sinew, tendon. (S, Sh)
Outfit - Best dressed, emphasis on clothes and costumes. (S, Sh)
OP/ED/Eyecatch – Sketches used only in these special animated sequences. These sketches are NOT allowed in any other category. (S)
Rage - Mad, angry, extreme agitation. (S, Sh)
Shocked - Stunned, horrified, utter dismay. (S, Sh)
Sorrow - Tear-jerkers, sadness. (S, Sh)
Tomboys - For all those lovely ladies that are redefining what it means to be a woman! (S, Sh)
Tranquility - Characters who have found their inner peace. (S, Sh)
Villainy - Archenemies, evil scientists, meanies, wicked bad guys. (S, Sh)

OPTIONAL: Animated - Short sequence of animated artwork. (S)
OPTIONAL: Eyes on Me - Anime Eyes, love them hate them, they must be the focus of the sketch. (S, Sh)
OPTIONAL: Hentai/Yaoi/Yuri - The risque genres, nudity not a requirement however it must be from a Hentai, Yaoi, or Yuri anime with a higher maturity rating! (S, H)
OPTIONAL - Fan Art - Made by you or another artist. (S, P)
OPTIONAL: Posteriors - the backs of anime in a non sexual way. (Do you have a cel of someone's butt? The back of their head? The back of their knees? Do you feel it is not appreciated because its someones back, this is the category for you!) (S, Sh)
OPTIONAL: Settei - Characters, items or scenery. Settei are not allowed in any other category. (MS)
OPTIONAL - Sexy - Male, Female... Whatever! Whatever gets your motors revving! This I know is a highly subjective category we shall test it out and see how it goes! (S, Sh)

We would love to give out more awards, but we will need more people to receive them! :P
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

Update on the entries!

Zero entries
One entry
Two entries
Three or more entries-at least one award can be given!

Accessory - Emphasis on what the character is holding, using, swinging, playing, aiming. (S, Sh)
Bishonen - Young men whose beauty (and sex appeal) transcends the boundary of gender. (S, Sh)
Blood on the Ground - Characters that are badly injured, on the verge of death, or dead. (S, Sh)
Chibi/Superdeformed - Characters drawn in a semi-deformed, comical style. (S, Sh)
Fight!-Good guy vs bad guy, lover's quarrel...Must show two or more characters engaged in battle. (S, Sh)
Furries- Have a cel of a furry friend? A dog, a cat, a cabbit, a catgirl/boy? A Kero..... you know ANYTHING with fur? (S, Sh)
Hanken - Art used for merchandise or other non-production special circumstances. Hankens are not allowed in any other category except hentai. (H)
Itadakimasu!- Our favorite characters stuffing their faces with deliciousness. (S, Sh)
Love - Kissing, hugging, cuddling, any displays of affection, innocent or physical – just not explicit. (S, Sh)
OP/ED/Eyecatch – Sketches used only in these special animated sequences. These sketches are NOT allowed in any other category. (S)
Tomboys - For all those lovely ladies that are redefining what it means to be a woman! (S, Sh)

OPTIONAL: Eyes on Me - Anime Eyes, love them hate them, they must be the focus of the sketch. (S, Sh)
OPTIONAL: Hentai/Yaoi/Yuri - The risque genres, nudity not a requirement however it must be from a Hentai, Yaoi, or Yuri anime with a higher maturity rating! (S, H)
OPTIONAL: Posteriors - the backs of anime in a non sexual way. (Do you have a cel of someone's butt? The back of their head? The back of their knees? Do you feel it is not appreciated because its someones back, this is the category for you!) (S, Sh)
OPTIONAL: Settei - Characters, items or scenery. Settei are not allowed in any other category. (MS)
OPTIONAL - Sexy - Male, Female... Whatever! Whatever gets your motors revving! This I know is a highly subjective category we shall test it out and see how it goes! (S, Sh)

The list is getting a little more colorful. Keep the entries coming!!
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

Ok so the latest batch of entries has been updated and added to RS and SM! 53 entries so far from 5 people!!

Zero entries
One entry
Two entries

So far only 8 categories can be given at least one award! We would love to give out as many awards as possible so keep the entries coming!!
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

And here's the latest update for what categories we have entries for!

Zero entries
One entry
Two entries

Eleven categories can win an award!!

Just a reminder that submission for the contest ends this Saturday, April 30th!!