How do you get the best success on YJ?

Auctions on Yahoo Japan

How do you bid for things and win?

As soon as I see the thing I want I put in a max bid as high as I can go.
11%
I put in a small bid to test the waters but come back and bid my max at the last minute.
55%
I never bid at all until the last possible moment.
34%

Total votes: 38

kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

Ashura wrote: Hey Kittens, we are cel buddies. The Kenshin OVA of Himura gashing from his mouth and forehead, I have the sequence right before it. A8 :)
Ah, yay!!!! That was you who won the cel :D :D Yay :) I am soooooooooooooooooooo glad that someone in beta get the cel :)

Do you have a glallery which I can look at and enjoy your cels????
Cats rule!
Ashura
Senpai - Elder

Post by Ashura »

My boyfriend is scanning all the cels in for me. Right now he is finishing up the yard. I've been busy doing nothing that I still haven't finished watching Naruto ep. 120.

I will PM you the link when he finishes. Actually......... let me see if he can just put the Himura Cel for now and finish the rest later.

Ashura
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

Woohoo!!!! I cannot wait to see your Kenshin cels :D :D

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please let me know an url for your gallery :)
Cats rule!
Ashura
Senpai - Elder

Post by Ashura »

PM Sent, Kittens
metheus
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by metheus »

I still prefer the old (last minute - bid your max) method. No warning shots, just drop the bomb and move on. Win or loose it's my favorite strategy, though interesting reading in this thread. Do sellers close auctions prematurely on a large scale if the don't see any activity. One would think by now everyone's familiar with sniping?
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

Ashura wrote:PM Sent, Kittens
Thanks :D :D It is soooooooooooooooooo nice! I cannot wait your next update :D :D
Cats rule!
Ashura
Senpai - Elder

Post by Ashura »

metheus wrote: Do sellers close auctions prematurely on a large scale if the don't see any activity. One would think by now everyone's familiar with sniping?
Yes, I think most sellers know about bid snipping.

But if there is no reserve and the bids are low, sellers tend to get scared, regardless of the knowledge of bid sniping. I mean, if you bought a cel for $300, for a week the highest bid is at $49 and you have about 10 minutes left to go, I would get antsy as well.

From what I've seen, I saw a seller here recently end their auction because it was so low.

Ashura
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

I usually put in a small bid not for testing the waters though. Mine's more of a territorial bid. I'm just saying, "Hey, I'm going after this." During the last 24 hours of the auction, I'll return and put my max in and let it ride. Most of those auctions end around 6am or 7am when I'm sound asleep. I refuse to lose sleep over auctions. (I'm trying to keep my priorities straight. :wink: )

One time, as a massive favor, I got up for the end of an auction. Battled the extension for an hour just to lose. I told the person I was bidding for, "Next time listen to me when I tell you just pick a max and stick with it." I find getting up for the end of YJ auctions to be extremely costly.

ebay's another story. I'm your typical sniper over there. 8)
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
In_Gabriel_We_Trust
Drama King

Post by In_Gabriel_We_Trust »

duotrouble wrote:I usually put in a small bid not for testing the waters though. Mine's more of a territorial bid. I'm just saying, "Hey, I'm going after this."
Same here.
But after that, all strategy is off.
I tend to have a maximum range instead of a bid, and depending on the auction, I may use the full range or not, even if it means not winning the auction.
[img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1ginjicool.jpg[/img] [url=http://snapshot_city.tripod.com/celstructure/][img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2ginjifun.jpg[/img][/url]

The Doctor : … and then, just to finish off, I’m going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky !
Dalek : But you have no weapons ! No defenses ! No plan !
The Doctor : Yeah ! And doesn’t that scare you to death ?
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

Heh. This topic is interesting. I voted the second one where you test the waters and then try to snipe at the end. Snipe is pretty much impossible on YJ because of that extended feature. Same on Mandarake. I took an auction for two Battousai Kenshin cels for 1:30 extra. Jenn_b and I were going to split it and got into a bidding match with Twisty. Whew was that intense. In the end I gave in because after awhile it because more a game of who can beat the other.....not who has enough money for the actual cels. You can get lost in it and really dig yourself into a deep hole. Be oh so careful. 8O Lately instead of sniping I contact the seller and make an offer to end the auction early. Then I don't have any competition that way. That's how I've won various auctions like my baby inuyasha sketches and DN Angel production sketches. :wink:
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

Wendy
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wendy »

I too voted for the second option.
I place a "I'm here/territorial bid" at the beginning of the auction and then wait till the last minutes to place my maximum bid.
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

seems that the "territorial bid" thing is quite common. I also place those kind of bids, just to warn my potential oponnents that they will have a though one with me :)

though, it's better if you have your own account to place these bids, because if you bid through a deputy service it really means nothing unless you just want to place an early bid to make the seller know that the auction will sell.
Wendy
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wendy »

^ Yes and no :)

With Rinkya, you do know which other bidder is bidding against you if they use Rinkya too :)
RX78GP02AGUNDAM
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by RX78GP02AGUNDAM »

I dont like using my ID to show people Im going after something. I would use a different ID to place a bid in, to lower the chances of a seller ending an auction if they were to get an offer to buy out. Don't think the whole bidding at the end thing makes much of a difference. People bid high either way, its just how much sooner the auction price goes up, at the begining or at the end. That way I can give up sooner. Like those Shishio cels...
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

RX78GP02AGUNDAM wrote:Like those Shishio cels...
Oh, I did not see the end of the auction!!! Did you get them????
Cats rule!