How do you get the best success on YJ?

Auctions on Yahoo Japan

How do you bid for things and win?

As soon as I see the thing I want I put in a max bid as high as I can go.
11%
I put in a small bid to test the waters but come back and bid my max at the last minute.
55%
I never bid at all until the last possible moment.
34%

Total votes: 38

tex-chan
Bish Mistress

Post by tex-chan »

Wow ... you're not kidding about those Shisio cels! I had flagged that one in my watch list, just to see how high it would go. And, when I saw the ending price --- I about swallowed my tongue! They were great cels, but ... man, that was a lot of money!

Anyhow ... back to the topic at hand ... I'm a person who usually bids in my max fairly early. I have a hard time keeping track of YJ auctions' ending times b/c of the time difference. Also, since most of them end in the early AM, I am usually not up early enough to watch them end. So, usually a day or two before the auction end, I will put in a bid of what I hope to get the cel for. This is not any sort of "testing the waters" thing or anything ... it just usually takes me a while to make up my mind on whether I want to go for the item or not. Then, depending on activity and how badly I want the item, I'll go back 24 hours or less before the end of the auction and put in my "absolute maximum bid". After that, I typically will walk away and let it ride.

I did accidentally "snipe" a YJ auction this morning, though. I happened to be up early and saw a cel for the first time with only a little time left on the end of the auction. It was a sequence mate to a cel I had wanted for forever (and was too late to the update to snag) off of a dealer site. So, I tossed a bid in. But, it is pretty unusual for me to do that. My apologies to the other bidder. *insert embarassed emoticon here* /sry /sry
This post brought to you by The Power of Plastik.

RX78GP02AGUNDAM
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by RX78GP02AGUNDAM »

kittens wrote:
RX78GP02AGUNDAM wrote:Like those Shishio cels...
Oh, I did not see the end of the auction!!! Did you get them????
15man. I was only thinking 7man. But guessing it would end around 9-10man...but damn, 15man.
shellie
Gundam Geek

Post by shellie »

:rollin heeheehee! Yep, that's a lotta 'man!
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

RX78GP02AGUNDAM wrote: 15man. I was only thinking 7man. But guessing it would end around 9-10man...but damn, 15man.
WOW 8O 8O 8O

That is expensive!!!! I think the nice Kenshin Seisouhen cel was about the same price..... Wow.....
Cats rule!
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

One DS where the "territorial bid" doesn't work is AnimeChaos/Shopping Mall Japan. There if I see a smallish bid put up by someone else using that DS, I'll watch it until the very end, and then put in a much larger bid at the last second. AC/SMJ has a "Bidwar" feature, where if two DS users bid on the same item, it goes to the person with the higher reserve bid, but (in an interesting twist), you don't actually have to pay more than the other bidder's reserve, but only an extra commission ($2 per Y1000 above the winning price of the auction).

For that reason, I prefer to wait as long as possible to place a bid using AC/SMJ. That way, I'm more likely to snipe than be sniped by another DS bidder.

The only risk is that an outside bidder could jump in at the last second, and if you've placed an outrageous reserve bid, banking on only having to pay the commission, you could suddenly find yourself responsible for most or all of your reserve. Again a reason to wait until the absolute last second and then drop the bomb on fellow AC/SMJ bidders who have placed modest territorial bids and are expecting them to stand up.

:evilblk
In_Gabriel_We_Trust
Drama King

Post by In_Gabriel_We_Trust »

Come to think of it... making the highest bid is normally a guarantee for success...

*runs from the groaning
[img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1ginjicool.jpg[/img] [url=http://snapshot_city.tripod.com/celstructure/][img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2ginjifun.jpg[/img][/url]

The Doctor : … and then, just to finish off, I’m going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky !
Dalek : But you have no weapons ! No defenses ! No plan !
The Doctor : Yeah ! And doesn’t that scare you to death ?
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

In_Gabriel_We_Trust wrote:Come to think of it... making the highest bid is normally a guarantee for success...
/?: /?: /?: /?: Why????

I tend to bid early to "mark" on cels :P
Cats rule!
Drax
Kamisama - God

Post by Drax »

shellie wrote::rollin heeheehee! Yep, that's a lotta 'man!

:wack Shame on you. And no it doesn't matter if I understand the gutter humor too. :nya:

As for bidding technique, I've used them all except the snipe service. Some others that I don't see listed is discussing terms outside the confines of the auction. But as an outstanding citizen I would never do that. :wink:
Once or twice on cels I really want I power bid. I ensure I have the funds and draw deep and crush any opposition. But I really have to convince myself that I have to have it.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

I'm glad to see I'm not the only territorial bidder. :D

I just have to add that reading all the comments of territorial bidders and "marking" your cels just made me think of one thing. It's like we're all peeing on the cels saying "MINE!" (And that's what I get for having a male dog. These kinds of thoughts. X| )
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I'm not above bidding against myself with two deputies if the current price looks way too low to me. :wack

Usually I only bid toward the end of the auction. Might be on the last day or the last five minutes, but near the end. Sometimes the first auction pic looks like crap and the good item is in the lower picture. I'm kind of hoping that maybe somebody will not bother to check the second picture. A bid on the auction will just encourage more people to look at it. :D
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

In_Gabriel_We_Trust wrote:Come to think of it... making the highest bid is normally a guarantee for success...
*runs from the groaning
Whew!! :roll: Baaaad.

although I've said for years that they could save five minutes on the sports reports every night if they just did the obvious.
reporter: "What do you have to do to win this ball game?"
player: "Score more points. Duh."

Hee. I was actually the first one to answer this poll, but didn't put in my explanation. I'm a "put in a small bid..." person. The reason, though... if I don't do that, I fairly often forget what I'm bidding on (that is, if it's a "oh that's neat, I might like that" item).

Case in point. Chatting to Kymaera last night and got an email that I had won an auction and been outbid on an auction. "Oh, I wonder what cel I won? I only remember bidding on the Miroku..." Open link. Blush horribly. "Oh!" It was a Kenshin doujinshi... Was in a rush, had forgotten to watchlist it, and lo and behold it's now mine. I'm glad I did the low bid.

I had completely misplaced the fact that I bid on it. And now I've given Kymaera even more fodder for his anti-Baakay cannon! ;)
hyaku1
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by hyaku1 »

I had to put in a manual bid ahead of time so because of this I was outbid and there was nothing I could do about it. :(
I was only outbid by a little bit to.
Here's the auction: http://www.rinkya.com/twview.pl?URL=htt ... /k17004490