SMJ vs. Rinkya: a DS consumer report

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

sensei wrote:Um ... how does one deal directly with Heather or Laurel? I don't find this anywhere as an option on the "Contact Us" page

S
email Heather@Rinkya.com or Laurel@rinkya.com

I have always used Rinkya for 4 years and not once had a problem on their end. I thought once they bidding glitch but it turned out to be an auction with a reserve that I did not meet.

Their sales have been in place for the last 2 years and I expect will continue. the Sale pricing is on Cel's , sketches , Genga , storyboards & setti.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Thanks, everyone, for your perspective on the Rinkya/SMJ rivalry. I'm not convinced that my early judgment was wrong, but then I still am waiting for my first major win on Rinkya to be ready to deliver. Once I actually get it, I may feel more benign.

Good points made on both fronts:

* I was ignorant of the fact that Rinkya has been running their "sale on commissions for this month" for two years. Knowing that these are actually their regular prices does make a difference, especially on the high end. But, if these are their normal prices, then why not say so? It seems a little deceptive to tell a newbie that, as luck has it, there's a "sale" going on the very month s/he joins, then have him/her find out later on that it's not really a "sale" but SOP.

* Yes, I should have noted the advantage SMJ gives in combining shipping for auctions. That is a major plus, again for those of us who get several small-ticket items in the same auction.

* I guess I shouldn't prejudge the customer service of Rinkya before I try to avail myself of it. But I do think the "Contact Us" page ought to be rethought so that it doesn't communicate to new users so dramatically that "ALL REQUESTS WILL BE IGNORED." True, no vendor likes to invite silly, unnecessary inquiries. But in discouraging any messages Rinkya makes it less likely that people will submit a note to what looks like a Great Void in the hopes that Heather or Laurel will respond.

* Snipe bidding seems equally possible on either service and is I guess a fact of life, both for better (bwa-ha-ha) and worse (curses! sniped again!). I'd need to live more with Rinkya to see how it happens there. I do think Rinkya's letting you know you've been outbid by an external bidder is a real plus for their system.

* Finally, no, I don't have New Pocket's new url and don't know anyone who does. I never saw anything I wanted there when I had the url anyhow.

Thanks again to everyone who set me straight or added details to the discussion.
Animechaos
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Animechaos »

That was a good read. :) Just so you guys know, I do troll these boards and look for comments and ways to improve. :^^:

It was recently (June-ish) where our system was going haywire seemingly every Sunday. We actually found out that it was because some company bought out Trident Networks and was moving servers all over the place. We haven't had a single problem since they finally got our moved and upgraded. :)

One little feature that even a lot of our customers overlook is the "advanced search" page. Its really basic and pretty much just specialized links, but it does help a lot.
http://www.shoppingmalljapan.com/advsearch.html

The customized search engines are great for specific anime goods. :wink: