SMJ vs. Rinkya: a DS consumer report

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

SMJ vs. Rinkya: a DS consumer report

Post by sensei »

I've been registered with Shopping Mall Japan since its inception and been very happy with it as a deputy service. However, about a month ago it went through a difficult period when bids were not being placed, and then the staff went on vacation for a week. Since there were some things coming up in the short run, I registered at Rinkya and used their DS for a few weeks. As it turned out, they were having a sale on commissions, which was a further incentive to try them out.

After a month's trial, I'd have to say that SMJ still gets the nod from me. But here's what I found:

Auction browsing: Rinkya has the better search engine for finding a wider variety of things. I like being able to search for newer shows like Rozen Maiden and Samurai Champloo, which isn't possible with the rather limited search engine that YHJ gives.

Ease of bidding: about the same, though different. I found about the same number of bids-not-posted glitches on both services. (I suspect the problem is with YJ, not either DS.) And I appreciate the ability to bid in real-time, as I tend to bid late and bid high.

I also like the way that Rinkya notifies you if you're outbid by an external bidder. SMJ only does this if another SMJ user ups your bid.

I don't like the way that one Rinkya user can easily find out the identity of another Rinkya bidder and the exact amount of his/her reserve bid, making the likelihood of sniping and bidwars easier and more expensive.

Fees: with the sale I found them about the same on the low end, because Rinkya charges a flat $15 s/h fee at the time you're notified of your win, while SMJ itemizes and charges the exact postage/money transfer fee, which is almost always less than $15, sometimes substantially less. So even when Rinkya charged nothing for commission, the total price was about the same as SMJ with the commission. Obviously, now that the sale is off and Rinkya has gone back to adding a flat $15 commission (in addition to the $15 s/h), SMJ has a bigger advantage on lower priced items, as their commission is only $5 up to 1000 yen and $8 to 4000 yen. I'm a cheap SOB so this means a lot to me.

For larger ticket items, with the sale the Rinkya price seemed a little lower than SMJ, but this will disappear with Rinkya returning to normal in August.

Billing: Rinkya invoices winning bidders immediately after the win, and gives only 24 hours to pay up. PayPal or Credit Cards only. SMJ invoices winning bidders after the item is received in Japan, which can be just a day, or (in my experience) up to two weeks later. Then you have ten days to pay up, and can use either PayPal or a check or money order. The latter seems more customer-friendly. I also like that the invoice itemizes the exact cost of postage and wire transfer fees.

And, for a desperately hooked collector, a very important item .....

Getting your winnings to you: SMJ allows winners to track the progress of items from the seller to its Japanese facilities, to storage in the US. Generally, once an item shows up as RECEIVED J, it takes about a week for it to be RECEIVED A and be available for domestic shipping. At Rinkya, by contrast, items regularly sit at paidhold/jpseller (paid for, but not yet received [or, more likely, not yet processed] by Rinkya) for several weeks. It's impossible to tell where your items are in the meantime.

Recently, I won two items a week apart on YJ, the first on Rinkya, the second on SMJ. The first is still listed as paidhold/jpseller, while the second (won a week later) is RECEIVED A and now being shipped to me domestically.

Communications: Nick is good about responding to questions about the status of items and shipments, and has always responded within 24 hours, even in the case of silly questions. Rinkya makes you fill out a standardized form and isn't very encouraging about giving you any helpful response. I'm especially bemused by this notice:
Please note, before submitting this form that items may take up to 1 month to arrive & be checked into the warehouse in Japan.

If your item has not arrived after 1 month from when you won it, please use this form.

ALL OTHER REQUESTS WILL BE IGNORED.

Please allow 7 days for your research inquiry to be answered.

If your seller still has not sent the item, please refer to our Refund Policy.
(Worth noting that the Refund Policy provides only for the refund of the commission and states that Rinkya will "do their best" to get more back from the seller but can't guarantee anything more than this. By contrast, SMJ, as noted, does not invoice the buyer until the item is in their hands in Japan. So while there can be delays on that side, you are not asked to put the money up in advance and risk not getting it refunded if the seller is dishonest. SMJ also provides a pop-up warning at the time of bidding if a given seller has a history of being unreliable.)

I'd say Rinkya shines on the auction-browsing front, is about the same on bidding, but is decidedly less convenient in invoicing and clearly inferior on customer service.
Moop
Senpai - Elder

Re: SMJ vs. Rinkya: a DS consumer report

Post by Moop »

As a fairly longtime user of both services, I'm going to speak up on Rinkya's behalf and disagree with a few of your points.
sensei wrote: For larger ticket items, with the sale the Rinkya price seemed a little lower than SMJ, but this will disappear with Rinkya returning to normal in August.
Unless something cataclysmic happens, it's unlikely to return to 'normal' in August. Over the last two years, I can't recall a single month when the exact same 'sale' was not in effect. :)
Rinkya makes you fill out a standardized form
Only in the case of standard questions. They have directly answered more stupid questions from me than I care to remember. :sweatdrop
If your item has not arrived after 1 month from when you won it, please use this form.

ALL OTHER REQUESTS WILL BE IGNORED.

Please allow 7 days for your research inquiry to be answered.

If your seller still has not sent the item, please refer to our Refund Policy.
I can speak on this one from personal experience. I contacted Laurel after one of my items had been MIA for just under three weeks. She told me to go ahead and fill out the form (which, of course, I did immediately) and my item was located within a day. They're extremely lenient about the 'rules', as long as you make personal contact.
SMJ, as noted, does not invoice the buyer until the item is in their hands in Japan. So while there can be delays on that side, you are not asked to put the money up in advance and risk not getting it refunded if the seller is dishonest.
Are you sure that SMJ will swallow the loss if the seller is dishonest? I have no doubt that they, too, will do their best to get your item - but I have always assumed that they would expect the buyer to pay if they fail to receive either the item or a refund. I don't recall their FAQ making any mention of it, so perhaps I'm mistaken... but it would certainly be an unusually generous policy.
I'd say Rinkya <snip> is clearly inferior on customer service.

Unless you've dealt directly with Heather or Laurel, it's an unfair assumption. I have found both of them to be extremely kind, responsive and helpful on several occasions. :)

And having argued those points, let me just add that for the most part, I have seldom had cause for complaint with either deputy. I do favor Rinkya slightly, however, because they do not put the business on hold to take vacations (a bit unprofessional, in my opinion), and because it has been my experience that they are less prone to technical failure.

Plus, Rinkya gives away really neato cel bags with every bulk shipment. :D
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

I agree with your assessment 100%. I started out using Rinkya and had
very little problems other than the slow customer service. I moved to SMJ
mainly because of the slight cost advantage and the great customer service
and haven't been disappointed so far. It's probably a good thing that I did
as Rinkya started charging tax for AZ residents which makes a big difference.

A few things, though:
- Rinkya's "sales" are pretty much all the time. I can't remember a time
when they didn't have one. You'd think that they'd just make those their
regular rates.
- Rinkya's "sales" only apply to cels. If you bid on other things like figures,
SMJ is a lot cheaper.
- You failed to mention another big advantage that SMJ has: they combine
shipping/wire fees from the same seller (usually anything that ends on the
same day gets combined). Their shipping/wire fees are already lower than
Rinkya's, so you get double bang for the buck.
Nene
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Nene »

I'll make mine short since one of the mains reasons I prefer SMJ over Rinkya is because you need a credit card to make a Rinkya deposit. And since I don't have a credit card, only Paypal, SMJ is the one for me. :)
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

I haven't used SMJ, but I have to echo Moop's statement that customer service with Rinkya is actually excellent.

Both Heather and Laurel have been outstanding to deal with, patient to answer questions, and very pleasant in correspondence with me. On one notable occasion they contacted me to say that the cel I had won wasn't *exactly* the image that had been posted (the one I wanted) and allowed me to cancel my auction. I was thrilled, because I actively disliked the facial expression on the "substitute cel" :D

Some of the fee and tracking issues mentioned above are absolutely valid, though. (*twiddling thumbs wondering when the blessed thing will EVER show up as received...*). I just would hate anyone to get the impression that these aren't excellent people to deal with -- (as long as you don't mind the money and time issues ;) ).

If it were me, running Rinkya, I'd probably be examining some of my policies, though, to see where adjustments might be made.
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Deputy Comparrisons

Post by Krafty »

Thanks for that guide Sensei, I'm sure it'll help out a lot of people who are unsure about these two deputies.
As someone who regularly uses both services I'd agree with your review but there are a few points to stress- like Kymaera mentions.

Combining auctions from the same seller (within 1 day of everything closing)- only SMJ does this and it's INVALUABLE. I have ocasionally missed out on auctions because I only had Rinkya available to me and wanted 3-10 auctions form the same seller. With their rediculous $15 handling fee per auction I could have spent $150 before totting up the commission!! SMJ would have combined this and charged me around $15.
Like you Sensei, I try to save money wherever possible so this factor is important. Why throw money away?

On the subjet of costs...
Shipping costs (from warehouse to you)- Rinkya adds 25% for handling. I don't mind an extra handling fee but when 1 package costs US$100 to ship, an extra $25 seems a lot for me to pay someone to put the items in a box and mail it.

Manual Bidding- Every day I browse the adult auctions and dislike asking SMJ to bid on everything for me. If I'm bidding on such items more than twice a week, sending emails gts tedious and I don't have control if I need to up the bid at the last minute. Rinkya is great when it comes to last minute bidding across the board.

Internal Bidding- Now this is just something to bear in mind. Last week I was using Rinkya to bid on an item. I was bidding against another Rinkya bidder. I eventually won the item by a mere 750y, the cel auction closed at under 10,000y but I couldn't take advantage of the 'Cel Sale' which isn't valid for Internal Bids. I was mad because I had to an extra US$20 in full commission for winning by 750y.
If you're bidding against another bidder on the same deputy, TAKE HEED OF THIS. It'll only work out economic for you IF the item isn't included in a sale anyway, or the price goes high- over 20,000y.
Out of the gloom a voice said unto me;
"Smile and be happy, things could be worse".
So I smiled and was happy
and behold;
things did get worse...
In_Gabriel_We_Trust
Drama King

Post by In_Gabriel_We_Trust »

Baakay wrote:I haven't used SMJ, but I have to echo Moop's statement that customer service with Rinkya is actually excellent.
Echo.
[img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1ginjicool.jpg[/img] [url=http://snapshot_city.tripod.com/celstructure/][img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2ginjifun.jpg[/img][/url]

The Doctor : … and then, just to finish off, I’m going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky !
Dalek : But you have no weapons ! No defenses ! No plan !
The Doctor : Yeah ! And doesn’t that scare you to death ?
sensei

Post by sensei »

Um ... how does one deal directly with Heather or Laurel? I don't find this anywhere as an option on the "Contact Us" page.

Does one have to get this info from another Rinkya user, somewhat like the url for the fabled (and IMHO overrated) "New Pocket" sale page?

I'll wait until all the Rinkya supporters chime in before responding in any more detail. I'm sure that once one develops a personal relationship with the people running a DS, that things run more smoothly. It just doesn't seem easy or intuitive to do so with Rinkya, it seemed to me from my brief contact with them. And it bothers me to have laid down a fair chunk of change for an item and have no way of knowing where it is or if I have any chance of seeing it, ever, even three weeks after I was asked to pay for it w/in 24 hours or else.

S
metheus
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by metheus »

Nick's been great. The only thing that would possibly get me to pick up a second backup service would be that 1 week every year when they close for vacation, but hey everyone deserves time off(most of us more than 1 week I'd guess).

Heh, they even put up with that seller I buy from occasionaly that can take up to a month to ship. I'm sure we all have good reason's for the services we use. Oh, and competition is a good thing.
Moop
Senpai - Elder

Post by Moop »

Um ... how does one deal directly with Heather or Laurel?
Actually, the first time you are prepared to suffer the humiliation of receiving a painfully obvious answer to a dopey question, you just fill out the 'email Rinkya' thingie. Your question will a) not be ignored, and b) almost certainly be routed to Laurel or Heather... from whom you will learn their super-de-duper secret addresses of heather@ or laurel@ rinkya.com. :wink:

Don't let the fact that their site and FAQ both appear more professional and less small-operation-ish than SMJ's fool you. Theirs is a very hands on business. I don't believe that I've ever received a shipment that was not signed for by one of them personally.
And it bothers me to have laid down a fair chunk of change for an item and have no way of knowing where it is or if I have any chance of seeing it, ever, even three weeks after I was asked to pay for it w/in 24 hours or else.
I've waited weeks for a cel to show up on my page at SMJ because the seller was slow to ship, and as mentioned, I suspect that I would have had to pay for it eventually, seen or unseen - so unless you know otherwise, I guess I really don't understand the difference. X|
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

I tried both deputies and stuck w/ neither... X|
The high fee's on Rinkya made me steer away from them after only 1-2 auctions.

SMJ when they were animechaos.com, their system crashed the 1st time I tried to use it. Sooo it was a sign for me to look elsewhere lol! :emb

So I signed up w/ Celga 4 yrs ago and havent looked back since. /no1 Yes theyve had their problems, alot lately actually, which is why I chose to upgrade and get my own ID to eliminate the careless errors or mess-up's I was having before. Its worked beautifully :vict -- althou Im thinking of switching out soon as well, because of lost auction items close friends of mine have been reporting about. I just dont wanna risk it on my end. :l /wah
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Speaking as someone who has accounts with both SMJ *and* Rinkya, and who used to have a Celga account:

SMJ is, IMHO, the best bet for people ordering lower-end items (under $200) on a regular basis. Their real-time bidding, quick replies to e-mails, lower fees, and accurate/quick shipping are all in their favor. Downside: they go on vacation every once in awhile. This makes many buyers frustrated. Perhaps they should spread out their vacation time among employees throughout the year, rather than taking it all at once?

Rinkya, while having the FAR superior search engine, lacks in all the areas that have been mentioned previously: higher fees, necessary 24hr. payment with CC, and lack of information on location of items.

Celga. Well, I've honestly never had a "bad" experience with them. But nothing to write home to mom about, either. They're a much smaller operation. If going with their 'standard' service, bidding is not in real-time (and can therefore cause anxiety attacks, since it's almost impossible to up your max. bid at the end of the auction). Their prices are lowest, but considering what amenities you have to do without, it's almost worth it to use a different service and pay the higher price. Bonus: they give out random freebies, some of which are hillarious. Downside: lately they've been getting a bad rep by losing people's items and refusing to refund money.

My take: go with SMJ.
purple-plum
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by purple-plum »

I like shamps and rei have tried all rinkya, smj, and celga and have the following things to say.

Rinkya: most people on this forum have heard my rant, but rinkya is very expensive and they charge the same flat fees everytime, do not combine shipping, and their system is slow to response change. When I bid on an item they deliberately separated the two items from the same seller so I would have to pay all the fees both times. The response time is so slow that internal bidding can be snipped at the last minute by someone else and you'll be told you've won and then all of a sudden it will disappear. When trying to ask rinkya about it, they ignored me e-mails - bad business practice.

SMJ: was down everytime I tried to use it. I think it is a good system and will save you money, but maybe the should staff more people for when they decide to go on vacation. I have recommended some people to them, and they are really happy.

Celga: However my number one choice would be celga, but only if you go gold. I have used them for 6 years have had 0 problems and 0 complications. I have gone celga gold and bid whenever I feel like. My credit card got declined once and they were really nice about it, giving me some time to figure out why (protection of some sort I was spending too much money) The lost a package once and replaced it with another cel of similar quality. Keigo used to give me discounts and combines shipping and marked some items once in a while. I am really happy with them and will steer clear of all other deputy services while having an account at others.

~Katie
Fireye
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Fireye »

I coded this a while ago, so the comissions might be off, but the $/Yen is constantly updated, and approximately right.

www.deputytracker.com/deputycalc

Celga will never ever get my business again because of poor business practice.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I originally started using Rinkya and despised the high shipping costs. Since, at the time, I was purchasing a lot of cards, I couldn't really justify a $20 shipping fee when it was just one card. I use SMJ to purchase many high ticket items.

I switched to SMJ(formally Animechaos) and I've had over 250 transactions with their service. Of these transactions, I've only had two problems; The first was that SMJ lost one item I *really* wanted(which they refunded the full cost) and the second was that the seller never sent the item(and in which case, you do get stuck footing the bill...although, they will refund any bidwar fees).

Recently, I've heard a lot of complains from Rinkya members who mentioned that they were outbidded at the closing of the auction by another Rinkya seller. I'm not sure how one can bid at the close of the auction, but as I've heard this from several Rinkya users, it seems rather fishy to me. I'd hate to do the happy dance only to find that someone snipped the auction after it closed.

I've never had this problem with SMJ. Ocassionally members will find that the bidding system will not process a bid towards the closing of the auction, but, Nick and his gang have given many warnings about using the system to snipe because...it doesn't always work.

All in all, it depends on your own personal experience.