Amazing IY 'Dream Cel' I Never Thought I'd See

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
nukukun

Post by nukukun »

Baylor wrote:Okay so WTF???

I just saw it this morning, still at 90,500 and now it's at 153,000??? Hot damn Inuyasha collectors are crazy. And yes, I know that I'm lumping myself in the crazy reference.
Me too! And it's going to go a lot higher than that.

I tried to bid on this cel thru SMJ because my wife loves Inu and Kagome couple cels. My max was double what's up there right now, and I was still denied. If only we weren't buying a new house this year ... *grump*

My deepest respect to the high bidder, and the corresponding rise in their monthly payments! :D
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Ok, I know I am going to come off as a total bitch here,
and probably take all kinds of guff over this, but I just
can't sit back anymore.

HELLO.........Am I the only one who see's that this cel is
an A32End cel?? 8O

hmmmmm.......... Not what could that possibly matter.
Maybe the fact that there are 31 other cels from this
sequence?? /hmm

I can't count how many times I see this happen, and frankly,
I am glad its someone else and not me. Just wait, this cel
will go for over 200,000, and in a few weeks, another from
the sequence will show up on a dealers site for half that.
And then another and another. X|

I know there are a ton of you who are out there that are
glad you didn't get caught up in these bidding frezies on
cels and were lucky enough to get one from the same series
a couple weeks later for much cheaper. :roll:

I can understand if its an A1End, but come on - its an A32End.
And you guys all wonder why Inuyasha prices are so high right
now. :roll

And I know there's a ton of you out there thinking the same
thing I am, but just didn't want to say anything :?

End of bitch!! :P
Baylor
Snarky Chick

Post by Baylor »

Thank you, Pudge, for saying EXACTLY what I was thinking and tried to subtly say.

I don't wonder why Inuyasha prices are so high, I've seen plainly why due to auctions like this. What I wonder is WHY people will pay those prices.
nukukun

Post by nukukun »

Baylor wrote:Thank you, Pudge, for saying EXACTLY what I was thinking and tried to subtly say.

I don't wonder why Inuyasha prices are so high, I've seen plainly why due to auctions like this. What I wonder is WHY people will pay those prices.
Well, in my case, it's because the wife actually liked the cel. She's an artist, and is amazingly fussy over the tiniest details. Makes buying cels for her a right *b*-word, I assure you.

Normally, I wouldn't have gone nearly so high. I'm not the president of the More Money Than Brains Club, but I am a member. 8)
Baylor
Snarky Chick

Post by Baylor »

nukukun wrote:Normally, I wouldn't have gone nearly so high. I'm not the president of the More Money Than Brains Club, but I am a member. 8)
:hitting:

I'm definitely a part-time member. I do really well, and then I fall off the wagon. I'm probably due to attend another meeting.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Not to be fussy ... but could the Ishihara layout be partially responsible for the price? He is a quickly rising star in the animation world, and a piece of art with his personal stamp on it could be, at least for Japanese bidders aware of the connection, reason enough for the quickly rising price.

Also, as the description points out, the background is original and matching. Yes, there are 31 cels similar, but none with the original key animator's drawing or the production background.

I'm not bidding, but it doesn't seem an outrageous price so far to me.
Maiko
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Maiko »

Pudge wrote: HELLO.........Am I the only one who see's that this cel is
an A32End cel?? 8O

hmmmmm.......... Not what could that possibly matter.
Maybe the fact that there are 31 other cels from this
sequence?? /hmm
Actually, you hit the nail right on the head as far as I'm concerned. When I first saw that cel's thumbnail on the Y!JP search page and the current bidding on it, I got all frenzied trying to think of how much money I could glean from the next couple of paychecks and how many bills I could put off until the last second just so that I could at least join the bidding race. However- I thought the same thing once I opened up the page and saw that the cel was A32End.

I suppose that for some people, paying over a thousand for a cel that is both an End and with notable genga/layout is worth it- and that's fine if that's the case- I'm not calling them stupid or insane or anything. But I am perfectly at peace with the idea that more than likely, sequence mates are gonig to show up. And even if they aren't the End Cel, or the A1, or with the layout/genga, I'd still be perfectly happy just to have one of those images of them together- especially at a lower price. Forgive me, but sometimes I think there is far too much hype over a cel's value simply because it's an End Cel or an A1 or whatever- I just like to buy what I like, and if it's still a lovely image, I don't care if it's A15 or B79.

However, the problem that will come of this is the fact that with how high this cel ends up being sold for, the Dealers who are currently getting the sequence mates in their posession are certainly going to adjust their price for the sequence mates accordingly, no matter how much they initially paid for them. Unfortunately, as we have recently seen, big bidding wars on certain series and their cels/genga have completely dictated how much other cels from said series are being priced at.

You're not being a bitch, Pudge, you've made a very real observation. ^_^x That is all. ^_^x
Baylor
Snarky Chick

Post by Baylor »

I can see how that might make it more sentimental or valuable to some collectors, but it still doesn't justify the $1000 mark to me. But then again, I'm not one of the bidders willing to pay that much, so my opinion doesn't really matter in the end.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

8O Just looked at the even higher price. 8O Wish I could throw money around like that. X|
Maiko wrote:Forgive me, but sometimes I think there is far too much hype over a cel's value simply because it's an End Cel or an A1 or whatever- I just like to buy what I like, and if it's still a lovely image, I don't care if it's A15 or B79.
I agree with you. It doesn't really matter what the sequence number is. What matters to me is if I like the image. I think this is a beautiful image but it doesn't matter to me if it comes with the layout, sketch, original background or whatever. Those are all just bonuses in my opinion. I do like having those but as you can clearly see, I have lots of cels without any of those perks.

So to me, it stopped being "worth it" several thousand yen ago. It's #32 in the sequence. I can wait. :wink:

That all being said . . . if you're still in the running, may the power of your wallet be with you. :)
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

Heh. I was thinking the same thing as Pudge to an extent. I agree there are 31 others and "typically" they start showing up later. However..... I'm still bummed over a certain Inuyasha cel I missed on ACB awhile back from a wishlist sequence and now it sits in Baka-Inu's Cel Gallery. Thank goodness it's there for me to visit each day. However.......no other sequence mates have turned up since. I held out hope that like other infamous scenes from Inuyasha this one would start spitting out more sequence mates, but it never happened. :bawl :bawl :bawl So I guess it's a gamble on whether you think you'll catch one later on or not. There are certain scenes in Inuyasha I would definitely pay $$$$ for if they popped up just because I wouldn't take the gamble.
<-----Total chickens$##. :l I have to admit though.....if I collected the series more seriously I'd be all over this auction for the simple facts that the layout is stamped by the animator and the background is original matching. That cel is absolutely stunning. :bow
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

Just out of curiosity, I watched the scene again. There may be 31 other cels, but half of those are going to have hair flying across their faces and a few are going to be with Kagome's eyes closed so this makes the number of really good cels from this sequence a lot smaller. Added to what has been previously said about sequence mates, the layout, the background, etc. maybe there are reasons for the price.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Not to make a fuss, but I'm sure those early collectors who went after the original layouts from the not-terribly-well-regarded 1978 TV series "Future Boy Conan" were assumed to be deranged by their compatriots. And yet I've seen some (in a new gallery in RScurated by a very interesting Japanese collector who's been around longer than many of us put together.) They are really very pretty, executed with a lot of detail and pizzazz by a hungry and ambitious young animator named Hayao Miyazaki ...
Baylor
Snarky Chick

Post by Baylor »

I'm just never going to understand paying thousands of dollars for a cel. But I guess that's because I don't have the means to do it. So maybe it's a bit of jealousy. :P

Either way, I'll be sitting with popcorn tomorrow morning watching how high this baby goes. And I'll be sure to hug all of my Inuyasha cels, relieved that I got them a couple of years ago. :D
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

It does make me wonder though what the prices of the sequence mates would be. Even an eyes closed Kagome with wind blowing her hair in her face would probably snag $1000, huh? :wink: See AO, you're just gonna make me have to go watch that scene again. :P :)
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
samiamew
Kamisama - God

Post by samiamew »

WooHoo!! Hit the 218,500 mark....and keeps on going...and going...and going => it's the energizer bunny of IY cels :P

I really can't wait to see just how high this baby goes -- it's nutz -- but if I had the $$ to spend I'd be tempted to throw it left and right :^^:

For me, I never seem to grab the dealer updates anymore -- different work schedule and access to the net -- so auctions seem the only way to go anymore -- that, and wonderful opportunities to make offers on great galleries :D :love:

With the recent trend, though, I've been lucky to have already owned cels from sequences that I've seen go waaaaay $$ 8O Otherwise, I'm sure, I wouldn't be able to afford half my gallery :(