Your "intimidating" rival bidders

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Your "intimidating" rival bidders

Post by Keropi »

How many YJ bidders give you a sinking feeling when you see their name?

You see their name bidding and you begin to wonder if you can win an auction or not. These bidders might sometimes bid very high or they might top your bids frequently.

Offhand, I can think of two YJ bidders in that category. I won't say who they are, but the first bidder I'm thinking of is an "automatic loss" as far as I'm concerned. When it comes to the SECOND bidders name, it makes me feel like moving on as well. :run

Or are you A Bidder Without Fear? :)

I feel that life is too short to worry about people who outbid me all the time (or much of the time). :wink:
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

There is one name I can think of.... The person uses rinkya (I know his or her user id but I don't know that person).

My friend is the biggest bidder in RK, but he is my friend so I can ask him not to bid if I really want the cel :) (and if he is bidding on something I will try to back off as well :) )
Cats rule!
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

I don't have any I fear. There is one deep pocket collector who tends to drive the price up on some items but I have a set limit of what I'm willing to pay for an item. If the person goes above it then to me they overpaid.

Sometimes I out bid them , sometimes not.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

No one I fear...just ones that I find annoying.
SME
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by SME »

JWR wrote:I have a set limit of what I'm willing to pay for an item. If the person goes above it then to me they overpaid.
Sometimes I out bid them, sometimes not.
Same here, Joe. My thoughts mirror that of yours. If it's an item I truly want, then I become the one to fear. :D But I always have a set limit on how much I think the cel would normally go for. I always feel that if I lose an item, then the person overpaid, since I generally try to bid up to how much I believe the cel to be "worth" on the market. Of course, there will always be those that think otherwise to what I've just said, but whatever.
kymaera wrote:No one I fear...just ones that I find annoying.
LOL, I agree with you kymaera! :D Your quote made me laugh as I was thinking that when I read the initial post. :crazy /heh
  • "If us girls can't be strong, then we can't protect the boys we love." - Naoko Takeuchi
  • "Anyone who sees me has a date with his maker." - Shinigami
  • "WHAT!??! Men in pink!? How bizarre!" - Vegeta
  • This message has been approved by Welcome Consumer...got questions? She's got answers. :P
Kujaku
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Kujaku »

RoboFlonne wrote:Kym-chan fears no one. :vict

Now for me... My biggest fear by far is oversleeping.

wahhhhh!!!!! /wah
LOL, same here. When I oversleep, I kick myself for not just placing a bid.
EternityOfPain
Senpai - Elder

Post by EternityOfPain »

To me, it doesn't matter who I am bidding against. I go up to the limit of my funds and if they win from there thats fine. At least I knew that I had bidded what I can. I would never avoid an auction just because I see a certain bidder. If everyone did this that "certain bidder" would always get the cels/sketches/whatever they may be alot cheaper then they would have had to pay. In the end I either win the auction, or sleep well knowing I made the other party pay more. :evil:
I didnt attend the funeral but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. -Mark Twain
Anime runs my life. I'll leave it to anime to where my life leads me. -EoP
Anime I have Seen
Slippery slopes of hellish Ice.
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

RoboFlonne wrote:Now for me... My biggest fear by far is oversleeping.
I think you forgot your deep rooted fear of cheez whiz.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I wouldn't say that I "fear" them, but I usually lose interest in any auction that these people put bids on. It's usually the Japanese CCS collectors, with one in particular who seems to buy every OP cel in existence!

I bid my maximum for an item, and if I still don't win...so be it.
Last edited by ReiTheJelly on Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

There's one person that gives me a sinking feeling anytime I see them bid. :bawl I've won sometimes, but it's never without a struggle. :box1:

Generally, I know who's bidding against me and it's not a big deal. As SME said, it's more about how badly I want the item. I try to bid my absolute max, based solely on how I feel about the item. If I win, I won't have regrets about overspending. If I lose, then I spared my bank account and lost to a worthy foe.

Sadly, Robo's biggest fear is also mine. There's nothing worse than oversleeping. /sob As long as I try, then I feel ok about it.
But not even getting the chance to bid is the absolute worst! /omg
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

If seeing my name will stop you from bidding, please…
FEAR ME !
:evil2
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Having been around the bidding block a bit, I'm familiar with the people who bid on the items I want. If I get outbidded, it's generally the same user that outbids me, but...I've take my fair share of auctions away from that bidder too. So, you win a little, you lose a little. A perfect balance. The universe is happy.

I only bid on items I really want, so, the meaning of "market value" doesn't apply, especially since I have no intention of reselling my wins. I also know that the majority of items I do bid for will likely never be resold - they're the types that a collector will elect to be buried with, so, it's kind of a "do or die" mentality. I think my rival bidders act with the same belief as well.

All in all, there is no one I find intimidating, annoying or anything else derogatory. They want the cel and they're willing to wake up at 4am to get it.

RoboFlonne wrote:Sure! So now I fear Guyver..
The only "Guyver" I fear is of the MacGuyver variety. Anyone who can make an explosive device out of gum, a paperclip and an alarm clock in 3.5 seconds should be deemed a threat to society.
monkeyboy
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator
Location: Heading for the 90's...Living in the wild wild West...

Post by monkeyboy »

Back in my DBZ days I knew when Keiko's ID would pop-up I'd get sick. No way of winning an auction against them!

At least I always was glad to be able see the cels in their gallery.