35mm films on YJ

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
Elot
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

35mm films on YJ

Post by Elot »

This guy is selling some supposed 35mm films strip from dbz and slam dunk

http://openuser.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/user/hososilab

how unique are they? I dont think they are actual master copy, but what throws me off is its looks rare to be on small clips

thanks
Elot
moonrabitt

Post by moonrabitt »

I've seen some for sale for Howl's Moving castle....but not for tv shows....I think for that movie they got the rolls from the theater and cut parts of the film....I have no clue how they could do that with a tv show....(unless they showed it in a theater)
Some say that life is like a box of chocolates, I say life is like a box of cake.
Strictly-Dragonball
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Strictly-Dragonball »

If it's a genuine piece of film, it's unique and one of a kind. They are called film cells, and released in limited quantities to collector's. Each cell is unique and one of a kind like anime cels, they represent a specific scene from the film.

I know DBZ movie 12 was released in theatres, but basically it's been said you can't get them from T.V shows to my knowledge. I didn't know the Japanese did this with film cells though, tried to find some Totoro ones but no dealer has them.

However, may come with COA's so I am cautious buying ones that don't as they can be copied.

I have one I bought recently, it's a single cel featuring Michael Myers from the original 1978 John Carpenter Halloween, it's framed on my wall with a COA, was expensive for a film cell, usually cheap but the film is over 30 years old.
HJ Hodgson

Me and my twin sister

'Love me when I least deserve it, for that is when I most need it'-Proverb
Killua

Post by Killua »

The Slam Dunk cells are probably from one of the four Slam Dunk movies produced. Film cells are definitely not as rare as anime cels, as there are ridiculous amounts of them floating around. You'll definitely never get the master copies as those will never be cut up and remain in vaults of the production companies for when they want to do re-releases.
Strictly-Dragonball
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Strictly-Dragonball »

Agreed Killua, they are nowhere near as rare as production cels, you can tell that by their prices, they are released in limited editions usually but each 35mm strip is unique. I don't know Slam Dunk at all but the DBZ ones may be from a movie as the opening is the same as what was used in the film. But with things like that I'd like to see a COA.
HJ Hodgson

Me and my twin sister

'Love me when I least deserve it, for that is when I most need it'-Proverb
metheus
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by metheus »

Not very rare in my opinion. I have a number of misc 35mm clips from my time working at a theatre in highschool, mine came from fixing bad splices though.

In addition to movies, trailers (the previews) are pretty easy to get a hold of, more so than than an actually copy of a film:
http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=%2235mm+trailer%22