Aren't these copies?

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Aren't these copies?

Post by Keropi »

This is kind of interesting. I thought these were sketch copies:

http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f72303084

But they ended up going for 16,500yen. I suppose it could be someone who doesn't mind paying for sketch copies. Or are these actually genuine hand sketches?

I know the Neo Angelique Abyss sketches I got from him were laser copy sketches. Those were the sheets I could see the laser printing dots on. So long as the bidder knows they're getting sketch copies it's fine. :)

The Nogizaka sketches I got from him were copy sketches, but at least I knew what the odds were when I bid on those.
Last edited by Keropi on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
crackpot27
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!
Location: My GPS is telling me to turn and there is no road...

Post by crackpot27 »

I think the translation came up studio copies. It is a lot to pay for copies, but I've noticed a few more of the Skip Beat copies also going for a lot, so I suppose someone must think they're worth it. I'm a little curious what the real thing's going to go for 8O
jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by jenn-b »

Heh...I'm glad I got my "real things" when I did. That's a little steep for copies. But then again, I try to not buy copies if it can be avoided.

*I did fork over some cash for Vampire Knight copies, and I'm already feeling a little strange about it*

Once a Bleach Whore...always a Bleach Whore

"Looks like you're on the ass end of an ass-kickin'" the All-Powerful Bender
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

I was thinking the same thing about this auction. I guess since artwork is a bit scarce people are paying bank for the studio copies. :?
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kathpatty »

I saw it also...excited with the Ren, but it does say copies that I believe have hand writing on (?) I would rather have originals ...especially for that money 8O 8O
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

On a similar subject, does anyone have a good guess as to what these were?:
http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n73928728

I'm a bit of confused here. My LEC 2005 software translates the top yellow auction description as:

"85 pieces of エレメンタルジェレイド handwriting original pictures (Ren episode 1)"

the bottom description is translated as:

"It is about 85 pieces エレメンタルジェレイド original pictures (the episode 1 center where the layout rough original picture is precious)."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
However....

Google translate which used to translate very similarly to LEC 2005 translates the top yellow auction description as:

"Autograph copies of original pictures EREMENTARUJEREIDO 85 (range 1 story)"

the bottom description is translated by Google Translate as:

"EREMENTARUJEREIDO original picture (a story of rough layout of the precious original picture) is about 85 copies."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which translation is more accurate? :messed :wow: :D

I was thinking of bidding on this this morning, but I restrained myself. :^^:
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

The OCN translation engine gives me:
Elemental Gelade [the name of the anime] An autograph 85 originals (ream The 1st episode).
That seems pretty definitive: they're handwritten gengas, a batch of 85, all from episode one.

I assume "ream" just means a big bunch.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Well her name name is Ren so I assume that's what it is. :)

But it's weird how they conflicted like that. It was common for LEC and Google Translate to use exactly the same words to translate Japanese paragraphs before. Now they're different. I wonder what word they're confused over?

The sketches with the shaded backgrounds looked like copies and we all know that copies can have white colored "holes" so that didn't help. It only made the situation more confusing.

Too bad we don't have standard auction descriptions. :wack
sensei

Post by sensei »

I think the critical section is[quote]約85枚ã
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

They're originals, not photocopies. ç›´ç­† isn't really ambiguious (though it may be in automatic translations). It means something like "one's own handwriting." So, a person drew them, not a machine. :)

æžš is the counter for paper and other thin, flat objects. In Japanese, numbers must be followed by counters . . . and there are quite a few counters out there. X|

Auction title reads:
"Elemental Grade Handwritten Genga 85 sheets (Ren Episode 1)"

Auction description reads:
"Elemental Grade, about 85 sheets of genga (layouts and rough genga from the valueable* climax of the first episode). The genga are good but there are some that have been roughly drawn, so carefully examine the pictures before bidding."

I'm not translating the rest 'cuz it's normal Japanese auction mumbo-jumbo. :)

Sensei's right, though. Your translator must have gotten "copies" from æžš. That's why I always translate æžš as "sheets" when dealing with production artwork. In normal translation, however, "copies" would sound a lot better most of the time.

*If I were writing this in English, I'd probably say "important" rather than "valueable." That's a bit of a cultural difference in speech, I imagine.
sensei

Post by sensei »

klet wrote:...from the valuable climax of the first episode
Ah, that makes a great deal of sense. Thanks for clearing up the puzzle of "The first valuable busy heart." One problem with translation engines is that they want to put together the adjectives and nouns in random ways. Sometimes I just take the main part of the description and translate it a few characters at a time, so I get the layouts and rough gengas out of the picture before the busy valuable first talks come into the picture.

I hope this is all making sense, keropi.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Thanks Sensei and Klet. That is very helpful! I'll have to save that info for the next time this comes up.
sensei wrote:I hope this is all making sense, keropi.
It does thanks. /no1

Had to get to the basics on that one so I could learn something for the next time.
kira
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by kira »

i can understand that price for studio copies. i prefer those.

it's paying that price for xerox copies of the real genga that i dont like.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Now that I think about it, did anyone else get color laser copies from him when they thought they might be getting hand sketches?

I wasn't sure what I was getting when I went for those auctions so they weren't a huge surprise for me when they turned out to be copies, but going through my records I'm starting to realize how many Rinkya and SMJ winners I see amongst the "copy" auction description auctions. It's not easy to tell they're laser copies because they're on white, yellow and green colored paper - even when you're looking at them in person from arm's distance.

...oh...I stumbled across my 8 Power Loupe in my room...by accident. So at least I have a magnifier now to examine my paper products with. :^^:

I hope there's no other color paper laser copies in the rest of my paper sets. That would be a shocker if there were. 8O
chongfran
Anime Geek

Wooo.....

Post by chongfran »

I just happened to bump onto this thread and saw in my amazement.... /bo /bo /bo I'm the owner of this. Hehheee...

Hmm.. so far, after trying out japanese-english translators online, the closest meaning translated the best would be babel fish.

"色指定用ã
[My Hana yori dango cel gallery]
http://fran.rubberslug.com