evangelion cel...fake?

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
tyromaniac

evangelion cel...fake?

Post by tyromaniac »

http://nifty.amikai.com/AmiWeb?ami_url= ... 7&r_n=8966

http://www.rinkya.com/twview.pl?URL=htt ... h128056477

i know i am only bringing attention to a possible snag, but I also believe its fake....

my belief:

Although almost identical, lillith in the background is not staring at kaworu like in the real one (scratch that, it looks better and accurate when kaworu is seen on yahoo japan auction page), the unit 01 evangelion hand is more detailed in the "fake" cel than in the one in the actual episode, and there is a dark spot on Kaworu's ear in the fake cel( the curve line in his right ear is almost different in that same ear), but none exists in the episode cel. A random dot is on his collar as well in the "fake" one but not the real one. And finally his mouth shading is much higher in the real cel than the supposed fake one. Can you spot any other flaws? Can someone tell me whether "there is no animation" (as translated in auction) means that it is real or fake.
Am i crazy, or hmm???[/img]
Moop
Senpai - Elder

Post by Moop »

When the translator says that there is no animation, it means that there's no sketch.

I see at least five differences between the screen cap and the cel besides the ones that you mentioned, so yes, if his face layer
is supposed to be a B1 End, I would certainly be cautious about bidding on this one. I'm not familiar with the sequence, though,
so for all I know there are several different cels. If it's fan done, though, kudos to the artist; you don't often see multilayer fan
cel setups.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Using the OCN translation engine, I get:
I enter a work reluctantly because I'm short of money. A tender of the person who can do importantly is expected.
I need money, so this is a hardship sale. I'm hoping this lot will go high (or, I'd like the winning bid to be a lot of yen).
"Neon Genesis Evangelion" I'm beach Kaoru with a cell picture. There are no animations.
The middle sentence is translationese for "It's a cel of Kaworu." (I assume Kaworu's last name could be translated "Beach.") "No animations" = "no dougas."
Back RIRISU is another cell. There are also 3 mouth cells differently.
This is fairly significant and speaks to the issues you describe. This means that the Lilith layer is non-matching (as you note) and that the layer with Kaworu comes with three different mouth layers. The one the dealer used for the scan isn't the one that matches your screen cap. The third scan shows either the base layer or another mouth layer (probably the first).

Golly: and the layers are unstuck. The spots you describe are fairly normal crap that gets brushed out in post-production, and IMHO one of the strongest indications that the lot is genuine. A faker or fan cel painter probably would not include major flaws like this, but a hack cel painter in Singapore who doesn't know that the cel s/he is painting will be valuable someday probably would.

I'm not a person who can do importantly right now (and don't collect EVA cels anyhow). But I hope this poor guy does get his price for this nice lot.
Moop
Senpai - Elder

Post by Moop »

Yes, there is a background A layer and multiple C layer mouths, but the question remains: is the layer of his face a B1 End? If so, then it's not production art. If not, then I agree, it looks like the real deal. The only way to know for sure is to watch the sequence. :shrug
Cordelia
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Cordelia »

The highlight in the hair underneath the left ear is different from the screen cap. But what worries me the most is that, for a cel of this quality, the seller omitted all the sequence nos in his scans and description. I'm surprised no one asked. :?
tyromaniac

Post by tyromaniac »

Cordelia wrote:The highlight in the hair underneath the left ear is different from the screen cap. But what worries me the most is that, for a cel of this quality, the seller omitted all the sequence nos in his scans and description. I'm surprised no one asked. :?
that's what first led me to suspicion
tyromaniac

Post by tyromaniac »

And of course it goes over two thoushand dollars.....
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

tyromaniac wrote:And of course it goes over two thoushand dollars.....
Well if you read the sellers feedback they have 25 positive responses including many on simular Eva cels from both Japanese buyers as well as a few Deputy services. They have Zero negative responses so that greatly increases the trust that the cel is original.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
tyromaniac

Post by tyromaniac »

JWR wrote:
tyromaniac wrote:And of course it goes over two thoushand dollars.....
Well if you read the sellers feedback they have 25 positive responses including many on simular Eva cels from both Japanese buyers as well as a few Deputy services. They have Zero negative responses so that greatly increases the trust that the cel is original.
I understand that, but I find it funny that I had hoped to possibly bid on it when it was only around 50 dollars XD, knowing that it would be an absolute steal.
JWR

Post by JWR »

tyromaniac wrote:
I understand that, but I find it funny that I had hoped to possibly bid on it when it was only around 50 dollars XD, knowing that it would be an absolute steal.
No I'm the only one I know of to get top notch Eva cel for $50
http://ryan.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_ ... emID=33007

It was a simular situation that the scan on YJ was tight and did not show the numbers and I guess everyone thought it was a fan cel due to it's starting price of 5000yen. I knew the seller ID only sold high end legit stuff so I bid and amazingly won it with my opening bid.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Eternal Squall
Kamisama - God

Post by Eternal Squall »

JWR wrote:
No I'm the only one I know of to get top notch Eva cel for $50

It was a simular situation that the scan on YJ was tight and did not show the numbers and I guess everyone thought it was a fan cel due to it's starting price of 5000yen. I knew the seller ID only sold high end legit stuff so I bid and amazingly won it with my opening bid.
Hey I got 50 bucks! How's about letting me have that awesome cel! :suga:
JWR

Post by JWR »

I was reminded by a friend that a lot of times when dealing with Eva cels that there is a lot of cels of the same scenes that were recreated when Ano decided to make the movie version Evangelion Death & Rebirth which retold the story. By the time it was made a lot of the original cels had been given away , sold or stolen and had to be remade and differ from a lot of the original screencaps.You pretty much need to review all versions of the scenes to identify which one it came from.

It also does not help matters that a lot of fakes were made. Thats why I have a certain list of YJ sellers and USA cel dealers I would trust to have real stuff.

Oh and Eternal Squall , sorry but you will be at the end of a very long line of others who already made a simular offer :P
tyromaniac

Post by tyromaniac »

JWR wrote:I was reminded by a friend that a lot of times when dealing with Eva cels that there is a lot of cels of the same scenes that were recreated when Ano decided to make the movie version Evangelion Death & Rebirth which retold the story. By the time it was made a lot of the original cels had been given away , sold or stolen and had to be remade and differ from a lot of the original screencaps.You pretty much need to review all versions of the scenes to identify which one it came from.

It also does not help matters that a lot of fakes were made. Thats why I have a certain list of YJ sellers and USA cel dealers I would trust to have real stuff.

Oh and Eternal Squall , sorry but you will be at the end of a very long line of others who already made a simular offer :P
I think this might be a good example. Same scene, yet different "retake" I believe (although its a promo)
http://silvrdrago.rubberslug.com/galler ... mID=247361
compared to yours: