Cel removal gone horribly wrong

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
majinuub
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Cel removal gone horribly wrong

Post by majinuub »

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r53787311

I wish whoever did this would've just kept the cels stuck and sold them as is and let the buyer deal with the removal :hurt: .
sletia
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sletia »

Oh.. God. /omg
Horribly wrong doesn't begin to describe it..
~Hellmaster-sama~
Rabid collector of the little demon
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

I saw that this morning and was tempted to post something about it. It's too painful to look at. How can people be so careless. :roll
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

The guy might have been like me.

"Well...this cel is already screwed up by me pulling it apart. I might as well complete the job and alleviate some frustration."

That's what happened with me. :hurt:

It's unpleasant looking at that cel...and mine. :(
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I think it's a case by case basis. There are some cases, such as when the background paint is discoloring the cel's paint or when significant moisture is trapped between layers, that I would consider seperation in order to save the cel. I've only come into contact with couple of cels like this and I've spent days carefully seperating them from a background. It's a sad statement that there are many owners who do not take care of their cels well. However, if there's no sign of damage to the cel(s), then, it's best to leave them alone.

Every time I receive a cel, I always launch into 'damage minimalization' mode by placing the cel into a polypropelene bag, checking damage to the cel and seeing what can be done that can help prevent further damage to the item.

I'm sure that there are art preservationists out there that could do the seperation efficiently, but I'm sure they charge more than what, in many cases, the cel originally cost.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Although just look at that makes me cringe, it could be that there was something wrong with the top layer, so the owner tried to forcibly remove it - and just never bothered to clean-up the paint which was left behind. I'd imagine it would still be worth someone's while to purchase this "set"; isn't the green guy an expensive character?
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

oh man... now thats just stupid.
okay, i admit it, im guilty of trying to remove a cel from its sketch. we've all had our "oops, yeah shouldnta done that" moments... but as soon as the first fleck of paint started to come off the cel, i stopped... :bwall ... and he kept going??? :wow: :cucu
moonrabitt
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by moonrabitt »

.......YAMCHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why in the #&%^&^#^(@%%&%^%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw the same thing with some slayer cel sets a while back (all those Amelia in Zel's arms) But it was no where near as bad as this....poor cels....
Some say that life is like a box of chocolates, I say life is like a box of cake.
Sugarflower
Senpai - Elder

Post by Sugarflower »

moonrabitt wrote:.......YAMCHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's my thoughts exactly!! Jeez! How could someone rape a cel like this. :l I've had many successful stuck layer/cel removals by placing them in the freezer for a short period of time and slowly removed them. Even on my most severest of severely stuck cels.

May Yamcha rest in piece(s). :|
killer.jellyfish
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by killer.jellyfish »

Sugarflower wrote:
moonrabitt wrote:.......YAMCHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's my thoughts exactly!! Jeez! How could someone rape a cel like this. :l I've had many successful stuck layer/cel removals by placing them in the freezer for a short period of time and slowly removed them. Even on my most severest of severely stuck cels.

May Yamcha rest in piece(s). :|
wow...that is cel rape at its finest. >.<