Have I been out of touch or is this a common thing now?

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
Penguinton
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Penguinton »

beatrush wrote:This is a very good example of what I think people are trying to get at

http://cgi.ebay.com/Anime-Cel-Nausicaa- ... tsupported

This was on YJ a day or two ago and ended under I think $150 and now its on ebay for $1200 8O

:( Yeah I got so excited at a second chance at winning a cel from that sequence only to whimper in agony when I saw the price. And their selling the sketch that came with it separately. :x At least it's clear they got the cel in their hands to sell as that's a entirely different scan than the original seller was using. So they seem less shady than other peoples...

People buying of YJ! and selling on ebay doesn't bother me too much. I just don't buy from them. :P
jcaliff
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by jcaliff »

I don't really care about people buying to turn around and sell again, since it's their perogative. If they miscalculate, then they get stuck with it. The only time it seriously irks me (and I'm sure a lot of you know exactly what I'm talking about here) is when the reseller initially pretends to be a collector, shows off the wonderful wishlist cels they got, tries to create a market by playing up the series, and then turns around and tries to sell their "preciouses" a few months later. And then tries to do the same thing again with another series. That doesn't just annoy me, it's the type of market manipulation that actually makes me furious.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I think, what gets to me most, is that the majority of collectors are limited to what they can purchase due to funds...especially with this economy. I don't like seeing collectors get beaten out of an item by a few hundred yen, only to see it on E-bay a few days later for 2x the price that it ended at. It's hard enough to lose an auction that you might have really wanted only to see it dangled in front of you for 2x more than you ever wanted to pay.

The best advice for these types of scenarios is to not purchase from them. Not only does that not reward these sellers for these practices, but, with their funds tied up, it leaves more oppertunities for you to get an item you'd like without (so much) competition.
moonrabitt

Post by moonrabitt »

Beautiful deer....XD...

It's ridiculous that they put the cel for sale RIGHT AFTER it sells!!!
One thing is months, or years later, but right after? 0_o
-----------------------------------------------------------
Since I buy sketches, what gets to me is Sketch-re-sellers....
---------------------------------------------------------------
Along those lines, it's one thing to buy a sketch set and keep a few and sale a few...It's another to SELL all the sketches (keep none) and sell each for the price of what the set cost you....
Ex: set cost you: $50, you sell each (or a lot of 4) for $50....

I know that if you get a good deal (buy each sketch for like $10) and resell it for $50...But if you do it with every sketch set you buy....@_@...

Sure we all have some sketch sets, but price the things not so insanely....
-------------------------------------
When I met a dealer and went for some sketches, I Went above my max to not lose, since I'm not willing to pay for $140 for a freaking Gundam Seed sketch.....or the same insane prices for other sketches >_<
------------------------------
OF COURSE....You must keep in mind, that what you think that a person paid for a sketch, is not correct....
Like the FMA sketches that sold on Aniyco...People resold them for like $100 or around there, when they won them for $30ish...At first you say WTF???? But the thing is with the COMMISONS and when you pay shipping twice and all of that...the person ends up paying maybe double that....
Some say that life is like a box of chocolates, I say life is like a box of cake.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

There are several items I would purchase if they were only priced cheaper. And by that I mean that when I see item #1 of a 24 piece set going for the cost of the entire 24 item set. :shrug

Well...I'm sure people are buying them anyway. That is just the way of things. <-----I sound like a Shaman :messed
jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by jenn-b »

I guess the thing that irritates me the most is that these people must think that we are stupid. Do you really think that I did not just see the previous auction end? Do you really think that I do not know that you only paid $300 for that set with about 30 pages off of a dealers site and are now trying to sell individual pages for $150? You must think that I am stupid. Wow....end of rant. :D

Once a Bleach Whore...always a Bleach Whore

"Looks like you're on the ass end of an ass-kickin'" the All-Powerful Bender
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

Thanks for the link, Kamidake, I missed that cel for my Princess Mononoke database ;)
Cenbe put it well, I agree with him. In this case, the buyer saw an opportunity to make some cash and evidently did. From a collectors view, it does annoy me if there's something I want. I was outbid a couple of times by a dealer to see the setup on their website a couple of weeks later at a much greater price.

Still, we can't have everything we want but we should be greatful for what we DO have.
There you go, Keropi, now I'm sounding like a shaman too. :^^:
majinuub

Post by majinuub »

I personally dislike resellers to an extent, but they don't bother me as much as they used to. There was a time where I was miffed that a reseller outbid me only to sell at a ridiculous markup and another where the item I won was jacked up by just the reseller. I guess it bothers me that the person didn't appreciated the item as much as me or possibly the other bidders involved. But like someone mentioned before, someone pretending to be a collector is more of a pet peeve to me.

Overall, I would rather give my money to a cel dealer that has a better network and resources for getting production art than one who constantly gets their stuff from a not too common auction site(ebay/yj/mandarake).
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Hmm....did someone lose money here?:

35 pages at 27,700yen March 16, 2009:
http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/item ... 5010100003

35 pages at 8,000yen June 4, 2009:
http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g74039350
iwakuralain16

Post by iwakuralain16 »

Keropi wrote:Hmm....did someone lose money here?:

35 pages at 27,700yen March 16, 2009:
http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auc_e/item ... 5010100003

35 pages at 8,000yen June 4, 2009:
http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g74039350
Sounds like the reseller ate it on that one... @_@
Cordelia

Post by Cordelia »

I hate it when they do this. Don't they know that a collector who checks Mandarake would check YJ auction too? Actually, the whole idea makes bad business sense since it's really risky, especially for single items instead of batches that can be spilt up. Makes me not want to buy from them even if I had the money :roll: