Help with Rinkya! Confused!

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
toonybabe
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Help with Rinkya! Confused!

Post by toonybabe »

A about 2 months ago I won an auction on YJ for a set of settei, 59 pages. I use Rinkya as my deputy service and this week I knew I was getting really close to their 2 month limit as to how long they hold on to your items before they charge you a fee, so I was about to pay to have my items shipped when I notice a $94.00 charge from them on my bank account and an email telling me they charged me a fee for keeping my items beyond the 2 months. I contacted Rinkya to see if I could get the fee waived if I just pay for my items to be shipped today.

They told me that they tried to contact me numerous times to have my items shipped but that I never responded to them. I never recieved one email and they were not in my spam filter. I checked my bid history a couple of days ago and the status was still "jprinkya" meaning it had not been shipped.

They also told me that $94.00 was not the 2 month limit fee charge (even though that is what the confirmation email said) but the actual cost of my shipping for EMS! I don't know if its the exchange rate or if the EMS rates went up, but when I usually get packages shipped, it never costs more than $33.00, usually less than $30. The last package sent to me weighed 945 grams and cost $33. This package weighs 2060 grams (like 2.5 lbs) and costs $94.00? 8O

Even if Rinkya charged me the 2 month limit fee (which they told me they didn't) it is suppose to be 25% of the shipping cost. If the $94 included the fee, then that would mean my EMS shipping would have been around $75. So I don't know if my EMS shipping was $75 with the fee or $94 with Rinkya not giving me a fee. Either way, the cost of the shipping seems really really high. And I don't know which one it is because the Rinkya email said I was charged the 2 month limit fee but the Rinkya customer service agent told me that I wasn't charged the fee and that the $94 was just my EMS shipping charge alone.

Does that make sense? When you guys get packages shipped EMS from Japan are they that expensive now? Or am I (or Rinkya) missing something? Has anyone had a problem like this before with Rinkya? Can anyone help me figure this out? I am really confused. /hp /hp /hp
beatrush
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by beatrush »

$94 is about how much I get charged for EMS out of Japan. Usually you will get your stuff in 5 days after being shipped.

As for the 2 month thing, if you don't clean out your account in 2 months, they automatically charge you to ship your stuff using EMS with your registered payment method. (in my case, my visa). If the payment bounces, you get an invoice for the shipping.
toonybabe

Post by toonybabe »

Thanks Beatrush. $94.00 still seems really high for some reason. I checked the EMS rates here and here:

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/english/fee/intel/ems.html
http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/charge ... s2_en.html

For a package that is 2,500 grams or under the shipping would be 4,700 yen. My package is only 2,060 grams. So with Rinkya's exchange rate of 93 yen per dollar 4,700 yen would be about $50.60. Rinkya lists that they also charge and extra 25% of the shipping charge when shipping items, so that would be an extra $12.65 added to the $50.60. So my total shipping should only be $63.25, not $94.00. I have no idea where the extra $30.00 is coming from.
beatrush
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by beatrush »

Rinkya tends to overpack and give you packages way bigger than you need for your items so that may add to the weight of the package and measurments.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

$94 is high, IMO -- at least to the USA. 8O

Just for your reference, toonybabe, my last 2 packages EMS from Japan weighed in at: 1.6kg @ $45 and 2.9kg @ $66 from Celga.
Killua

Post by Killua »

Definitely way high, something is funny.
gundamx2
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by gundamx2 »

Defect to Celga. From experience, they seem to be more reasonable.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I personally recommend Shoppingmalljapan. Most paper artwork will cost you about 940 yen to ship internationally, and then you batch ship it to your address after 3 mos. So, for a large amount, you're looking at roughly $30 for priority US mail.
toonybabe

Post by toonybabe »

Thank B, zerospace, Killua, gundamx2 and cutiebunny for responding with your advice! Laurel from Rinkya email me and it was indeed just a mistake. My shipping should only be $37.63 :)

Rinkya was great and responded to me ASAP!
beatrush
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by beatrush »

Good to hear! make sure to keep Laurel's email. Laurel is the "go to " person when something goes wrong.
kira
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by kira »

obviously i pay no attention to that extra fee stuff. i've had them send me emails when i'm over the 2 month lmit but i've never been charged anything for that. since i have the stuff shipped right after i get that email.

this time though i had it shipped before the 2 months which is surprising. my recent package that i got on friday, cost 25 dollar and 67 cents.

yeah, i agree with beatrush that they will put in boxes bigger than they need to be. still your cost sounds like a lot. was there something that weighed a bunch in it?