Original art collectors please take care...

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
aethel
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Original art collectors please take care...

Post by aethel »

Hi guys,

If any of you (like me) are big fans of original artist illustrations / shishiki, I wanted to point something out.

There's currently a set of suspiciously perfectly centered, suspiciously cheap color shishiki up on YJ. They are conveniently by all the most popular Japanese artists of the most popular characters. Also, they are oddly spread out between two yahoo id's.

Now, I would not presume to be qualified to say what is a fake and what isn't, but I would just suggest that anyone bidding on these auctions (all starting bid in the 20000 yen range) check out the link below, and draw their own conclusions before bidding.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=83211
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I agree. They've been selling these shikishi for at least a few months. Every week they have a new batch of colored shikishi and every week, inevitably, a few of these sell.

The majority of legitimate Miyazaki shikishi I've seen tend to be more along the lines of quick sketches, or, rough drawings. He also seems to like to incorporate that fuzzy thingie from Totoro. These rough sketches look nothing like the polished images in these 20,000 yen auctions.

In some cases, some of these sellers have negative feedback from people who realized that they bought a fake shikishi. Before buying shikishi, I would look at the feedback. If they have negatives due to shikishi sales, it would be best to stay away.
Killua
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Killua »

cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

(snort)The last two "Miyazaki" shikishi in your link have exactly the same signature.

Must have used the same stencil :D
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Too bad there aren't any UACC or Manuscript Society autograph dealers in Japan.

Or maybe there are and I've just never heard of them. They might only deal with historical autographs. :(
iriakun
Anime Geek

Post by iriakun »

I already wrote about those fake shikishi in another post
X|
Japanese people is quite stupid to think Miyazaki's autograph and other mangakas ones too can be get so easily... :x

http://www.anime-beta.com/phpBB/viewtop ... c&start=15
>>>>Deputy service 15% on Yahoo Auction, contact me<<<
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

There's a whole slew of new "Miyazaki" shikishi on YJ again.

http://openuser.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/user/fuurioida
iriakun
Anime Geek

Post by iriakun »

iriakun
Anime Geek

Post by iriakun »

and now, the new sale is a COPY of an original autograph at "only" 20 000yen....incredible 8O :x
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

iriakun wrote:and now, the new sale is a COPY of an original autograph at "only" 20 000yen....incredible 8O :x
Maybe they, or someone else, has been reading our thread and has tipped them off.

20,000 yen for a copy? What nerve.
iriakun
Anime Geek

Post by iriakun »

Fake okay but just a piece of paper of an original autograph, it is just sh....poor guys who pay for that :x
iriakun
Anime Geek

Post by iriakun »

Now you have new fakes but this time with fake certificate of mandarake!

Damm it, yahoo is getting like ebay!
:x

http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h140779664
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

iriakun wrote:Now you have new fakes but this time with fake certificate of mandarake!
It is possible that the Mandarake certificate is legitimate. Notice that the certificate shows the Rei drawing with a blue line around her instead of the black one on the shikishi shown? Why would anyone counterfeit a certificate to legitimize a fake but not take the precautionary measures of ensuring that both items are alike?

But the stamp's ink color looks a little off and the envelope has a pattern in the picture? Maybe it's just the camera /hmm

Evangelion, Totoro & Dragonball are the most notoriously bootlegged shikishi out there. Every week there's at least one of these on YJ and all of them are in perfect condition, with most having some elaborate drawing.

I would say that upwards of 80% of all legitimate shikishi out there do not feature perfect, elaborate artwork. Most shikishi feature signatures and/or rough sketches. If you keep that in mind when buying shikishi, you should be able to stay away from the majority of countefeits out there.
iriakun
Anime Geek

Post by iriakun »

I know perfectly the mandarake certificate and especially all the shikishi sold since many years.
Moreover, this is not sadamoto's way of draw!

So many people is falling in this trap so I prefer to help fans :wink:
aethel
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by aethel »

Thanks for the heads up iriakun. I'm going to point this auction out to Mandarake. If that certificate is a forgery, they might want to do something about it.