Sellers that ban deputies....

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
ainominako
Anime Geek

Sellers that ban deputies....

Post by ainominako »

Ever come across that seller that has banned deputy bids?

It's something I really want...does anyone have a work around for this?
ZombieBunny
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by ZombieBunny »

You know, I have come across that as well but I never knew what to do either. Sucks really. :shrug

Hope you can figure it out.
You've finally fallen to the bloodlust of beasts...
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

well how would they know if its deputy? if its by numbers of feedbacks or name then maybe a more privite proxy like maybe a one man company would help, there were a few out there with less than 500 action feedbacks. won't hurt to try I think.
Drac of the Sharp Smiles
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Drac of the Sharp Smiles »

I've also frequently wondered how sellers know they're dealing with a deputy. There's no real reason for the deputy to TELL the seller they're a deputy. I just think of all the times I've been a seller for an auction. The transaction is always limited to "please send payment and your address", "thank you for your payment and I'm sending your item", then leaving feedback. If a deputy were buying something from me, I wouldn't have had a clue.
sletia
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sletia »

http://www.anime-beta.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=27281

You're talking about this guy, right?
~Hellmaster-sama~
Rabid collector of the little demon
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

sletia wrote:http://www.anime-beta.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=27281

I've encountered several other sellers as well, havent
spent enough time to try and figure away
around it tho.... :?
beatrush
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by beatrush »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:well how would they know if its deputy?
Probably the username, payment info or address the stuff is being sent to.
tenzink
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by tenzink »

In the past I have seen this but not that often. There used to be and probably still are sellers that didnt want the cels going to foreigners (for whatever reason) - I suppose its not hard to tell who a deputy is if you have been looking for awhile and see online galleries for foreigners with cels that were purchased by the same IDs on yahoo japan. It is probably going to be problematic for anyone who buys the cel for you because should these sellers notice that the item then gets uploaded online to a foreign gallery, that userid will get blacklisted in their minds (and probably in rumour) as well. Then they would have a hard time buying anything for themselves from those kind of people. And yes, our galleries do get looked at.

Sucks. Alot.

But ethically speaking, I wouldnt want to give these people my money anyway.
ZombieBunny
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by ZombieBunny »

tenzink wrote:In the past I have seen this but not that often. There used to be and probably still are sellers that didnt want the cels going to foreigners (for whatever reason)
That made me really sad when I read this.
I guess I can understand to a degree but collectors, no matter where they are, are in love with the piece that they are trying to obtain - and what if it is a dream piece? :l

I hope it is just a rumor indeed.
Either way, it is really upsetting when a deputy it blocked.
You've finally fallen to the bloodlust of beasts...
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

personally I think it's more of a money issue,
if 2 bidders are from the same deputy and lets
say they get into a bidding war, it's the deputy that makes
the profit, the actual seller is still receiving the original
deputy bid, not the higher internal warring price...[if you can make any
sense of what I'm trying to say, well more power to ya...]
Sui Kune
Kamisama - God

Post by Sui Kune »

For those saying deputy bans are because of sellers not wanting foreigners getting items, you'd be right. Most deputy bans are because of sellers not wanting to deal with foreigners, period, because of prejudice against them, which is extremely, extremely common in Japan. It's not because of the deputy themself, because how they work is essentially no different than an average Japanese buyer. It's also the reason why almost all Japanese sellers will refuse to ship internationally, even if the bidder can speak perfect Japanese. (That and the payment method of choice is through Japanese banks.)

I've also never heard of money lost from internal bidding being an issue, either, though it's entirely possible it is one. However, if it was, why would the seller also ban Crescent Shop, which doesn't even support internal bidding? In the end, the most likely reason by-far is the prejudice against foreigners.

As for finding a way around it, aside from having a friend in Japan who uses YJ and can bid on your behalf, I'm afraid you're most likely out of luck. :l

ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

sletia wrote:http://www.anime-beta.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=27281

I'm pretty sure that this particular seller is in VERY close contact with the deputy service of their choice. I wouldn't be surprised if they get a cut. The way they operate is just too much to be a coincidence...

I've had a successful dealing with their deputy, Cat Hands Agent, but I would not be surprised in the least to find out that they're friends, or cousins, or something.

I remember a conversation a long time ago about how some of the mid-level bulk sellers on Y!J were annoyed that their auctions weren't being bid up so high, due to internal deputy service bidding. I imagine a number of them have caught on to what is happening and are annoyed, but don't want to lose such a large client base. *shrugs*
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

A while ago, I went on some Japanese message board and they were talking about US deputy services. The topic included all the known IDs that deputy services used. There was a lot of negative feedback towards deputies, most of them stating that it wasn't fair that many people were using one ID to bid on items when everyone else had to use their own.

I think a large portion of these posts are spurred by outbidded bidders. What better way to get rid of rivals than to expose them & hope that potential sellers will notice?

Overall, I think it really depends on the seller. And if you know them. It's pretty easy to block foriegners from buying your items online. It's another thing to kick the gaijin out of the shop when they're ready to buy. It would be considered distasteful to be so rude, and most Japanese, regardless of their opinion of foriegners, are polite to them.

A lot of stores, in Japan, don't really care one way or another. I've made private arrangments with stores before I've gone there and they've been pretty helpful.
tenzink
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by tenzink »

Agreed, I have never encountered anyone being rude to myself in person either at a convention or in a Japanese store. The promise to not show certain cels online is a condition with a few collectors - probably because of wishing to maintain good relations with japanese collectors/sellers that may not approve of dealing with foreigners. Thats about it as far as in-person hiccups.

I'm still honoring one collectors "never show these online ever" conditions. It was 1999 though, wonder if she'd mind now? lol.