Yamibou OP sketches

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Yamibou OP sketches

Post by sensei »

Congratulations to the determined SMJ bidder who won the following lot in an interesting and hard fought battle this morning.

http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d118225393

And condolences to the Rinkya bidder and the cheeky third party who made it interesting. I don't know Yami to BÅ
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Yeah, it's a very nice set. I seen it last night.

The artwork from the show is quite detailed.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

I really like the character design from the show, elegant. but that and the OP are the only two good things I can remember about that anime. uh...I'm tempted to ask, how do you guys check for new update on YJA?
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I think there's three main ways to look for stuff on YJ:

1. By title of the series - Japanese title, English title and/or Partial title
2. By classification such as cel, genga, douga, etc.
3. By seller

But with YJ you have to be careful as to what category you have your search in. Sometimes you think you're searching all categories and you're really only searching a particular category.

Just about all production sketches are in the genga category because sellers label them as such, but a few don't show up because of the complications of the Japanese language or because they're not labeled with "genga". The more ways you search, the fewer things you'll miss, but you'll also end up spending more time searching.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Yeah, sometimes I'll just search for "genga" (原画) and see what I find. Sometimes something I collect will be listed under a slightly non-standard spelling and won't show up in a standard name search. But actually I hit on this by doing a search for the seller (railphoto) because many of my high-end Rozen Maiden genga were sold by this person. So I sometimes have a look to see what else the same seller is offering, as I expect the other lots will contain good things.

This one just caught my eye (and those of other collectors as well, obviously) as it was very elaborate, coming close to a hanken in design and quality. The Character Designer for Yamabou also did Vampire Knight so it is very enticing.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

ouch thats what I do too...and here I thought maybe there is a more time efficient way to do this-_- except I don't search for seller and just search title or, the entire anime cel/genga categorize once a week which tires me out since I also do the same for my other collections. I remember last year there was another member her that created a program that will only show all the new listing, too bad it cost money and I don't know how to sign up>_<
sensei

Post by sensei »

There is a box you can check in the left column that's labeled "NEW." If you check it and click the tab just below it, it will show just the items in the category you just searched that were listed in the last 24 hours. Unfortunately, it also gives you items that have been relisted again and again and again over the last 3 years, if they have recently (once again) gone without an opening bid.

But it is a way to narrow down searches. I use that on CCS every Monday morning, as most of the nice things get listed after midnight Sunday.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

ah thats a great idea. I'd prably do two searches everyweek with this, one on monday and another on wednesday, will see how that goes.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I only search up to the items that will end before I can check the following evening. Unfortunately for the genga category sometimes that can still end up being like 56 pages sometimes.

And you should search from higher page number to lower page number (like page 35 to page 1). If you search the other direction, every once in a while you will miss something because it'll skip forward before you can get to the next page. I missed a few things from doing it that way.

I save the genga category for last because I can more easily tell what didn't show up in the other searches I used. If something didn't show up in the earlier searches, I want to figure out why...especially if it was something good.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

that's another way to do it. I sometimes do for my resin kit search when I feel lazy lol a good idea I never thought of is doing the search backwards. veteran exp right there :D genga section is the worst since the pics are kinda small and without color I have trouble telling which chars they're from-_-"
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Yeah, they are hard to see. I have to keep clicking on the thumbnails to be sure of what I'm looking at. I used to turn down the screen resolution before starting to search to be able to see them better, but nowadays I'm lazy and I just click them instead.

I can identify many of the thumbnail anime title descriptions just because I've seen them so many times. I can read a some of it, but I still end up clicking a lot of thumbnails. The titles I don't recognize I click - especially if the artwork in the thumbnail looks interesting.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Worth noting that SMJ has a search engine for most anime series that lets you select for cels, genga, body pillows, pencil boards, CDs, and etc. I don't believe you need to be registered for the service to use it. It takes a little practice to use, but can be helpful.

You can do this off the SMJ main page, but I find it useful to start at this page:

http://www.shoppingmalljapan.com/search ... itles.html

When you get the anime series you're looking for in the drop-down menu, click "More" on the right end, and you'll get the whole list of subcategories (including body pillows). It's not infallible and will sometimes give you a "no items" result when in fact there are some cels or genga going FA. But it's often a timesaver. And you can always click on the series title rather than the subcategory, see everything that's up on YJ for it, and do a quick eyeball for what you want.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

awesome that is certainly another way to save time greatly and yet another way to dig out the hidden adult section. I wonder if you can add more titles to their search engine..
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I use the Anime News Network Encyclopedia and pull the Japanese and English titles off of their pages, stick it in YJ search engine and save the link. Sometimes you have to tweak the text you search with to get it to search exactly for what you want and hopefully show everything.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

great source, but I also wish there is more ways to bypass the adult restriction on YJA, I usually use rinyka search but there titles are pretty limited and recently it seems that certain links are being wired and I can't make the auctions line up the way I want(ending soonest, highest bids).