suspicious auction, need help making sense of it.

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

suspicious auction, need help making sense of it.

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

This morning I've received a notice from SMJ that I've been out bidded on a auction, but hours later I received another notice that I've win the auction! Apparently, the seller decided to cancel the highest bidder's bid and so I am now the highest bidder. However, taking a look at the detailed bid history, my bid is times higher than the now second highest bidder's bid...this all seems very suspicious to me. the way I can make sense of it, the seller used a third party/different ID to jack up the bid because he was unsatisfied about the highest bid being so low. So my question would be: since the highest bidder's bid is canceled, why isn't all of his bids attempts canceled as well leaving the winning bid only slightly higher than the second bidder's bid and not my max bid? do you think perhaps the seller has used a YJA loophole in order to get more profit?

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r83210353
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: suspicious auction, need help making sense of it.

Post by JWR »

That could possible be a case as you suspect of "shill" bidding but unlike Ebay I am not sure if you have any recourse dealing with YJ. I suggest you contact your deputy to see if anything can be done before the deputy pays the seller.

I do not think you will be able to cancel the bid for I would not believe the deputy would be willing to get a non payment strike on it's feedback so all you can do is pay it and then remember the seller's ID and avoid any further auctions they put out.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

yes it does seem wrong, the winning bid should have been 6000Y the way the bid history page looks, JWR is right, all you can really do is contact your deputy and see what they think about the situation. Keep us posted what/why.
Animechaos
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Animechaos »

I don't think it was shill bidding. For whatever reason the seller canceled our bids and 3 others as well. It sounds like a seller that should be avoided in the future.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Which seller? I'd be suspicious as well, as I've seen some very odd bidding on YJ in the past: bidding that goes up 500 y at a time until it ties the reserve bid ... then stops and lets the earlier bid win, for instance.
Animechaos
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Animechaos »

neojun555 is the seller.

Based on his actions they just may not have wanted to sell it at the price they had listed. It's been relisted with a starting bid of 18,000 yen here:
http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r83526159
sensei

Post by sensei »

OK, so tubl's bid was cancelled also? That would make sense, while cancelling only the bids higher than his would not.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

At the time of my post, only the highest bidder was canceled leaving my max bid which made it look like JWR's explained case. now that everything is canceled and action relisted, it all worked out I guess. I still wonder if there is a loophole for shill bidding on YJA where seller can jack up the price with third party ID to reveal max bid of other bidders then cancel the third party's highest bid only.
JWR

Post by JWR »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:At the time of my post, only the highest bidder was canceled leaving my max bid which made it look like JWR's explained case. now that everything is canceled and action relisted, it all worked out I guess. I still wonder if there is a loophole for shill bidding on YJA where seller can jack up the price with third party ID to reveal max bid of other bidders then cancel the third party's highest bid only.
I have experienced having auction be bidded up in 100yen bids as many as 20+ times till it took me up to my max but then stopped not passing my bid so no bid retraction.

I talked to my Deputy but nothing could be proved or done and I at least did get the artwork though for a bit more than I would have liked to.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Animechaos
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Animechaos »

Lot of times that's just someone "stepping up" an auction. Trying to get it for minimum price without making a large bid. We see that a lot.

The most tell tale sign of a shill bidder would be the same "stepping up" process, but they eventually get the high bid. Then their last bid is magically canceled.
JWR

Post by JWR »

Animechaos wrote:Lot of times that's just someone "stepping up" an auction. Trying to get it for minimum price without making a large bid. We see that a lot.

The most tell tale sign of a shill bidder would be the same "stepping up" process, but they eventually get the high bid. Then their last bid is magically canceled.
I would hope thats the case but then it has happened too many times that the last bid made matches my max bid (Tie goes to he who 1st places the bid) and stops when going one more bid increment would win the auction. This has happened not just when I have max bid round numbers (IE 20K yen) but also with odd bids like once I max bid and won at 9335 yen. That auction was "walked up" from op bid of 1500 yen.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

just got reply from SMJ that the seller was indeed shill bidding, as first suspected and has been reported. I also remember my max bid being matched a few times then I win by defult...those all happened on reletively higher profile auctions. I just thought those are accidents where bidder decided that their max bid is too high and just stopped.
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:just got reply from SMJ that the seller was indeed shill bidding, as first suspected and has been reported. I also remember my max bid being matched a few times then I win by defult...those all happened on reletively higher profile auctions. I just thought those are accidents where bidder decided that their max bid is too high and just stopped.
I’ve recently won an auction that I’ve felt was “shilled” :( that or the bidder was just being spiteful :x

Sorry to hear this lee :(
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

I hope the other bidder didn't jack up too much on your auction. it all worked out for me since it didn't cost anything...I can't blame the seller for trying to get the most out of his stuff, just inconvenience for me since I'm using proxy and exchange rate. I wonder if theres a way where we can just create accounts to bid on auctions ourselves and that snipe bid wouldn't get a 5 minute extension.
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:I hope the other bidder didn't jack up too much on your auction.
Oh YEAH! To my maximum of 30,000yen on the dot :hurt: :hurt: he kept inching it up :x
I kinda wish I could go back … I think it may have been another stupid move on my part :roll:
theultimatebrucelee wrote:I can't blame the seller for trying to get the most out of his stuff, just inconvenience for me since I'm using proxy and exchange rate. I wonder if theres a way where we can just create accounts to bid on auctions ourselves and that snipe bid wouldn't get a 5 minute extension.
I hear you on that but why couldn’t they just start it at the price they wanted to get for it? :?
Oh yes! I wish there was no time extension, sometimes it’s a blessing but mostly it’s a curse I could have probably won the auction for much less if it wasn’t for the thing