Fake Ranma 1/2 OP Cel?

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
benten
Kamisama - God

Fake Ranma 1/2 OP Cel?

Post by benten »

A YJ auction for a Ranma 1/2 season 6 TV opening cel has been listed by SPIKECOWBOY:
http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b137258807

This caught my attention because the same A18 cel was apparently just sold by cantarella21c on 09 May 2012 for 35,500 yen:
http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g114592009

This new auction has a buy out price of 20,000 yen. I don't question the authenticity of what cantarella21c sold because he has sold several cels and their dougas from the same OP cut.

I was looking at the image closely on the current listing and see uneven paint stokes across the top hair versus a relatively smooth line across the top of the hair on the cel sold in May. However, otherwise the cels look to be an extremely close match.

Are my thoughts that this cel is a fake off-base?

Does anybody know anything about SPIKECOWBOY?
Nene
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Re: Fake Ranma 1/2 OP Cel?

Post by Nene »

SPIKECOWBOY appears to be both a collector and seller. We've bid against each other in the past for a variety of series but he likes the full head-shots and does like Ranma cels. I'd be inclined to think he's legitimate but the cels definitely look different if they're both supposed to be the same sequence number.

Am I right in saying that we only have his auction image to gauge the number from? It does look sorta like an 8 on the end but it doesn't offer much clarity. Could be a chance that cantarella21c read the number wrong also.

But on the basis of whether or not SPIKECOWBOY is dodgy or not, he's always appeared to be ok to me.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Fake Ranma 1/2 OP Cel?

Post by sensei »

Ditto Nene's comment on SPIKECOWBOY: the cels I've bought from this seller have been unproblematic.

When I flicker the two, they do seem nearly but not quite identical. Cantarella's has trace lines that extend past the paint to the edges of the cel, while Spikecowboy's does not. That could mean trouble as one good sign of a forgery is that the edges are done with noticably less detail than the image in the safety that could be captured off the screen.

On the other hand, look at the white collar at the bottom edge of the cel. Cantarella's has the blue of the blouse only on the triangle to the left of this collar, while Spikecowboy's has it on both sides. I can't imagine a forger doing that. The smooth line of paint on the top seems a wash to me: in fact the irregularity of Spikecowboy's seems more in line with real cels that I have, which leave off painting haphazardly rather than trying to create a neat line. A more crucial test is to look at the detail just outside the safety. If that is equal in quality to what would appear in a screen cap, then the cel is probably legit. Also if the colors are identical to what appears on the screen, as a forger would have trouble matching up cel paints to the studio's work.

I don't know: It's possible that both cels are genuine. Certainly both sellers are respectable. "19" can be easily misread as "18" especially if the "9" is written backwards as it often is by Japanese people for some reason. I'd say look closely at the OP sequence as broadcast to see if you can clarify the matter. If the image moves very slowly across the screen, then it's possible that the two are identical images but painted in a slightly different position on the cel sheet. As the two are not photographed from the same perspective it's difficult to tell. In that case, one is A18 and the other is A19 and both are legit.