WHY?

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
moonrabitt
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

WHY?

Post by moonrabitt »

150,000???? WHY OH WHY? Aren't these just copies? I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why the huge price. Wishfull thinking on the seller? 0_o

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r83054501
Some say that life is like a box of chocolates, I say life is like a box of cake.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: WHY?

Post by sensei »

The whole set of genga for the CCS nude bank. And three pages of the storyboard (with clothes, sadly). And the timing sheet. Yummy! Even if they are photocopies they would make hours of happy viewing for some lucky Sakuraphile hikkikomori. All he would need to finish the perfect evening is a vintage CCS body pillow, ideally in mint, unused condition.

I'll pass. The storyboard for the Sakura Card bank (naked from the waist up) is in the TV animation book Kodansha put out. If I had more bank cels (clothed or nude) I'd be interested in the timing sheet. Just not for $2000.00 or more (pedophiles can be vicious at auction time).
KuroiTsubasa4
Kamisama - God

Post by KuroiTsubasa4 »

sensei wrote:The whole set of genga for the CCS nude bank. And three pages of the storyboard (with clothes, sadly). And the timing sheet. Yummy! Even if they are photocopies they would make hours of happy viewing for some lucky Sakuraphile hikkikomori. All he would need to finish the perfect evening is a vintage CCS body pillow, ideally in mint, unused condition.
That made me die a little on the inside T_T
sensei

Post by sensei »

Sorry. I've just finished watching "Welcome to the N-H-K" which has some very uncomfortable things to say about single guys and the magical girl shows they watch. While I don't think Puru Puru Pururin (the magical girl series that the evil conspiracy N-H-K uses to enslave young guys and turn them into hikikomori) is directly based on CCS, it is a rather ominous fact that in Japan CCS actually was a huge hit on the real-life TV network N-H-K. So I doubt not that "nude bank" art like this finds a ready market in that country.
Macron one
Kamisama - God

Post by Macron one »

With the huge market for highly questionable doujinshi, garage kits and pillow covers that exists in Japan, i'm not entirely surprised that this is somewhat reflected in production art as well, though you'd think that the relatively modest nudity found in nude banks and mahou shoujo transformations would seem chaste by comparison. Still, it does appear that such pieces draw extra attention on Rubberslug too. For example, this OP cel of Pretty Sammy's Sasami mid-transformation is one of the most popular cels in my gallery, with considerably more views than any of my other Pretty Sammy or Tenchi Muyo pieces.

While looking for old japanese fanmade animation clips on Youtube, i recently found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iid_J3lK ... ure=relmfu
Japanese otaku's questionable fascination with young female characters seems to have been around quite awhile 8O
moonrabitt
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by moonrabitt »

Ah, that video was disturbing....

so pedophilia was the answer? i guess i should not be surprised...its japan after all, I just thought it was something deeper than that LOL
Some say that life is like a box of chocolates, I say life is like a box of cake.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Well, it is an important anime, and so a series like this, even as a set of photocopies, would be valuable, much as settei often sell much higher than original sketches or cels. It does come with some of the original accessories such as the timing sheet, so it's more authentic than just a random xth generation copy.

For all my cynicism, the attraction, in truth, is more fetishism than pedophilia. The first is a private sin, while the latter is (justifiably) a felony. Not all males who are attracted to sketches, garage kits, and even body pillows will go out and enact their fantasies in public, just as players of violent video games will, for the most part, keep their mayhem to themselves and not go out and start shooting people in the streets.

And there are lots of varieties of fetishism. Probably anyone with more than three cel books of magical girl images could reasonably be accused of an unhealthy interest. Especially if they take one look at a lot like this and say at once, "Oh, I know exactly what that is!"
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

sensei wrote:Probably anyone with more than three cel books of magical girl images could reasonably be accused of an unhealthy interest.
Oh noes! I better just give it all away before they find out!

Reminds me of an article I found on Time.com yesterday about how suspicious people without a Facebook account are to potential employers. http://moneyland.time.com/2012/08/08/do ... employers/

'Cause, you know, since two recent murderers didn't have a Facebook account clearly means that everyone else that doesn't is just one step away from offing someone.

I think the sketches are more of a novelty than anything else. For the collector who *has* everything already, and just wants something to make their collection, which they keep secreted away in a climate controlled rental locker somewhere in Tokyo, stand out against all the other CCS collectors.

Clearly, with starting price being as high as it is, I'm not the targetted audience.