What words should I use to search for Genga and Douga?

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
HigurashiArchives
Otaku - Fanatic

What words should I use to search for Genga and Douga?

Post by HigurashiArchives »

I've tried typing the words "Genga" and "Douga" in multiple translators for yahoo auctions but the results are items that have nothing to do with production art.
I was wondering if they call or spell these differently then what appears in the translator? If so, any suggestions?
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Re: What words should I use to search for Genga and Douga?

Post by Keropi »

If I'm remembering correctly, these were what I used to search YJ:

cel = セル画
genga = 原画
douga = 動画
roughs = ラフ
layout = レイアウト
background = 背景

Hope I got the Japanese right here. It's been awhile.

Then I went to Anime News Network anime encyclopedia and pulled out the Japanese titles from anime and used the right amount of Japanese to get the best results. I used English titles or partial English titles too when they brought up different results from the Japanese searches.
HigurashiArchives
Otaku - Fanatic

Keropi wrote:If I'm remembering correctly, these were what I used to search YJ:

cel = セル画
genga = 原画
douga = 動画
roughs = ラフ
layout = レイアウト
background = 背景

Hope I got the Japanese right here. It's been awhile.

Then I went to Anime News Network anime encyclopedia and pulled out the Japanese titles from anime and used the right amount of Japanese to get the best results. I used English titles or partial English titles too when they brought up different results from the Japanese searches.
Thanks so much! This has been the main reason I've avoided Japanese sites and missed out on a lot.
BuraddoRun
Kamisama - God

Post by BuraddoRun »

Good luck on any YJ bids! I have yet to join in any of those auctions or sign up with a deputy service.
"Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

HigurashiArchives wrote:Thanks so much! This has been the main reason I've avoided Japanese sites and missed out on a lot.
Well...back in (?) 2005-2006 I was looking for sketches, but I didn't know what terms I should use to look for them on YJ so I also missed out on a lot. I was only aware of the "cels" search term at the time. A few sketches did show in that category, but not a lot. If I had known earlier what I should search with at least I would have had a chance at them. I would have known what was out there too.

I wonder what that April 2013 Higurashi TV series will be about?
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

I usually input the search words under a specific category to narrow down results. the down side is that sometimes I don't get to see items that are listed under "wrong" category. but the time it saved is totally worth it.

this is the narrow down I use: オークション > コミック、アニメグッズ > セル画

@keropi, under what categories did you do your searches on?
HigurashiArchives
Otaku - Fanatic

Keropi wrote:I wonder what that April 2013 Higurashi TV series will be about?
This is not really a spoiler but:
The country is made aware of the Hinamizawa Syndrome and Hinamizawa is quarantined by the government, it follows Keiichi and Rena as they deal with the stresses of living in a villiage cut off from the rest of the world.
I think I expressed my excitement for this announcement best on facebook, I'll give you an excerpt:
HigurashiArchives wrote:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by HigurashiArchives on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I don't know. I just input them into the search bar. They keep changing the YJ search so I don't think my old links work the same way anymore:

For genga it looked like this:
http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/sear ... F-8&mode=1

Layout was like this:
http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/sear ... 1&auccat=0

As you can see, the layout link always had a lot of unrelated crap in it. On the other hand, sometimes I saw sketches that didn't show up in any other way except by the exact title of the anime. And yeah, it WAS very time consuming to go through that every day. :D
HigurashiArchives wrote:
The country is made aware of the Hinamizawa Syndrome and Hinamizawa is quartentined by the government, it follows Keiichi and Rena as they deal with the stresses of living in a villiage cut off from the rest of the world.
Sounds good! I wonder what they based this off of? Did they actually have games that went this far? Or is it based off a novel or is it an anime-only thing?
HigurashiArchives
Otaku - Fanatic

Keropi wrote:
I don't know. I just input them into the search bar. They keep changing the YJ search so I don't think my old links work the same way anymore:

For genga it looked like this:
http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/sear ... F-8&mode=1

Layout was like this:
http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/sear ... 1&auccat=0

As you can see, the layout link always had a lot of unrelated crap in it. On the other hand, sometimes I saw sketches that didn't show up in any other way except by the exact title of the anime. And yeah, it WAS very time consuming to go through that every day. :D
HigurashiArchives wrote:
The country is made aware of the Hinamizawa Syndrome and Hinamizawa is quartentined by the government, it follows Keiichi and Rena as they deal with the stresses of living in a villiage cut off from the rest of the world.
Sounds good! I wonder what they based this off of? Did they actually have games that went this far? Or is it based off a novel or is it an anime-only thing?
It was a short story Ryukishi07 wrote if I'm not mistaken, called "Higurashi Outbreak." The title is Higurashi no naku koro ni Kaku and I've heard conflicting reports over whether it will be an OVA series or a movie.