Can someone please tell me what this is exactly

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
ssvegito04
Anime Geek

Can someone please tell me what this is exactly

Post by ssvegito04 »

Hi,
I have seen auctions pop up all the time offering settings similar to the link I have provided. What are these? They look like photocopies. If anyone could let me know that would be great for future reference.

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/169982256

Thanks
You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps... his PRIDE!
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: Can someone please tell me what this is exactly

Post by JWR »

Looks to me like a it is a set of photocopied settei (character design sheets)

A lot of times theses are just that copies someone made in hopes to sell. Rarely one can find ones that were made for "in house" reference by the studio. These even though they are still just photocopies sometimes show signs of use such as actual hand written notations , coffee stains and even doodles.

I was extreamly lucky a few years back to get this set of the ending credits of the AMG TV 2nd season in which the photocopies of the storyboard were hand colored with coptic markers.
http://ryan.rubberslug.com/gallery/mast ... 937&Page=2
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

Ah settei. Typically a head artist draws the character designs and then makes copies of it to distribute to the other artists in the studio. Copies are made on very specific types of paper. Many times you can buy settei copies & they'll have handwritten notes from the artist that was using them on the side. The original settei is worth $$$$$ and rarely pops up. As Joe said though, unfortunately some people will make copies of their copies and sell them. Then it becomes too difficult to tell which you have. Back in the day, settei copies would go for insane amounts of money, but now that there are people selling copies, buyers are more hesitant. It's really a shame cuz they're so cool. I literally have hundreds of settei from Yugioh, some of which have the artist's notes, & and it's so cool to see how they do it. :wink:
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

ssvegito04
Anime Geek

Post by ssvegito04 »

Ah, OK. Thank you
You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps... his PRIDE!