Can anyone help me with this?

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Re: Can anyone help me with this?

Post by Jadeduo »

I always thought that the smell was an early indicator and you could not stop the process but at least slow it down some by adding the microchamber paper and keeping the piece separated from the rest of your babies so it does not spread.

Thanks for the tips Sensei, as always we appreciate it!

Jadeduo
:jump
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Well, the big issue is that cellulose acetate, like cellulose nitrate and many other plastics, is chemically instable and gradually breaks down into the chemicals of which it is composed. Vinegar syndrome is one of the last stages, and one in which the chemical process is more rapid and obviously destructive. Careful storage (esp. avoiding direct light and rapid changes in temperature/humidity) retards the process.

As star-phoenix has shown in some of her amazing finds from pioneer animation, cels that are carefully conserved can survive 60-80 years without visible change. (Despite being painted on cellulose nitrate, which is felt to be less stable than acetate.) On the other hand, a Disney website dealing with the issue shows photos of some of their archival cels, which have been maintained at museum standards, that have visibly begun to self-destruct.

There are a lot of variables, and vinegar syndrome, like sex and death, is a topic that needs to be taken realistically. But not every cel with a strong smell has vinegar syndrome (yet...). It may just have been stored in one bag for too long. Before panicking, air it out, give it a new bag, and make sure it can vent freely to the open air in storage (I slit the side of the bag facing the opening of the celbook page).
Last edited by sensei on Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I was tired when I wrote this and made a bunch of estubido mist aches.
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

I have still been unsuccessful in finding microchamber paper in Japan. :P Even those nice Itoya portfolio folders I believe are products of "Itoya of America". lol I can order them from here--Japan--but it's way more expensive than they should be. *sigh* I had a look at and asked a worker in the art supply store Sekaido and they didn't have a clue what I was talking about. :P I'll try the store in Shinjuku next time.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Shipping might be ridiculous but you could try ordering the binders or folders from Amazon that is where I get mine! You can use the American amazon site. I myself used the uk amazon site to order sparkly green knobs for my kitchen shipping cost more than my knobs but it was something I had to have for my kitchen. :)

Bags unlimited is where I get most of the other supplies and microchamber paper.

Best of luck!

Jadeduo
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Jadeduo wrote:Shipping might be ridiculous but you could try ordering the binders or folders from Amazon that is where I get mine! You can use the American amazon site. I myself used the uk amazon site to order sparkly green knobs for my kitchen shipping cost more than my knobs but it was something I had to have for my kitchen. :)
Well the funny thing is, I can find these on the Japanese Amazon...but they're listed as items from America. haha Which ups the price quite a lot. I want to get these materials if at all possible locally but I'm not having much luck.
Bags unlimited is where I get most of the other supplies and microchamber paper.
Do they have a Web site, I wonder (I'll take a look when I have more time) but even if they have an online shop, they'd have to accept payment from and ship to Japan. :P
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Bags unlimited link:

https://www.bagsunlimited.com

These are the itoya binders I use for organization purposes...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000RP73J ... sr_ph&sr=1

I used to use these before I switched over to binders.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001VGJ2X ... SY200_QL40

Best of luck!

Jadeduo
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I had problems when buying microchamber paper from Bagsunlimited. I paid for the order, and then a week later, I received an e-mail stating that they were out of it and they refunded my payment. When I asked them when a new shipment would arrive, I was told that they didn't know.

So, I went to E-bay and bought microchamber paper there.

Rekka, if you need someone to send it to you in Japan, just let me know. I don't mind.
Eric

Post by Eric »

So I finally decided not to buy this SSJ3 Goku cel. I have been after another cel(wishlist cel) for over 2 months and the seller FINALLY put it up on eBay for me. He was on vacation for a month and I had no idea lol so I thought it would be gone forever. I'll update my RS gallery once it arrives :cheers
Visit my gallery at RS :) eric.rubberslug.com