Can anyone help me with this?

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
Eric

Can anyone help me with this?

Post by Eric »

Hello everyone, I am saving up for a cel I want but the seller hasn't put very much info on the listing and I was wondering if anyone here speaks Japanese and could ask the seller a few questions for me. This is the listing here: https://www.rinkya.com/en/auction-m100994818

I just wanted to know if the sketch is stuck and if comes with the douga, thanks :)
Visit my gallery at RS :) eric.rubberslug.com
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: Can anyone help me with this?

Post by JWR »

Since your auction link is thru Rinkya, when you view it while logged in you should see this link " Feel free to ask questions before bidding."
If you click on the "Ask Questions" it will take you to the Rinkya "Ticket" link and thru that you can submit a ticket to have them contact the seller and ask your question.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Eric

Post by Eric »

Oh sorry JWR, but I forgot to mention I don't have a Rinkya account because it requires a Credit card to register, and I don't have one. I pay with PayPal through my bank.
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kathpatty »

I have tried for you- never placed a ticket before- will let you know when I get a response
A Man Who Views The World The Same At Fifty As He Did At Twenty Has Wasted Thirty Years Of His Life. - Muhammad Ali
Eric

Post by Eric »

kathpatty wrote:I have tried for you- never placed a ticket before- will let you know when I get a response
Thank you so much! You're the best :)
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kathpatty »

So far.......

Dear KATHLEEN-san,

Thank you for your question to your seller!
Sellers respond about 50% of the time, so if they do not answer there is nothing we can do, unfortunately. :(
We'll keep trying, though!

We let you know what the seller says as soon as they respond. (Except on weekends or holidays in Japan, sorry!)
A Man Who Views The World The Same At Fifty As He Did At Twenty Has Wasted Thirty Years Of His Life. - Muhammad Ali
Eric

Post by Eric »

kathpatty wrote:So far.......

Dear KATHLEEN-san,

Thank you for your question to your seller!
Sellers respond about 50% of the time, so if they do not answer there is nothing we can do, unfortunately. :(
We'll keep trying, though!

We let you know what the seller says as soon as they respond. (Except on weekends or holidays in Japan, sorry!)
Hey it's progress at least haha, hopefully the seller can respond!
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kathpatty »

Here it is

Dear KATHLEEN-san,

Hi!
Your seller has replied with the following message:
The seller didn't answer about the sketch, but he said douga will come with this item.

Thank you! ^_^
Junko Rinkya Inc.
Rinkya
Eric

Post by Eric »

kathpatty wrote:Here it is

Dear KATHLEEN-san,

Hi!
Your seller has replied with the following message:
The seller didn't answer about the sketch, but he said douga will come with this item.

Thank you! ^_^
Junko Rinkya Inc.
Rinkya
Ah thank you, so we dont know for sure then if it's stuck or not 8O
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

I can tell you from experience that, DBZ cels can be iffy on condition and unstuck sketches. I've recently picked up several Goku cels that had stuck sketches, as of late a lot of YJ sellers just ship them all together in one bag sometimes you get lucky and can get them separated other times they are completely shellacked, unfortunately with the language barrier I've learned to live with it.

Also I know this is going to sound weird, but make sure you sniff your DBZ cels when you get them in! I recently got in a GT cel that has the worst vinegar syndrome I've ever smelled :P! And I believe production on that was only like 95 or 96 not even the oldest DBZ cel I have!

That is a gorgeous SSJ3, I'm very picky about that form, whereas with Goku classic I'm like gimme!!!!

Jadeduo
Eric

Post by Eric »

Jadeduo wrote:I can tell you from experience that, DBZ cels can be iffy on condition and unstuck sketches. I've recently picked up several Goku cels that had stuck sketches, as of late a lot of YJ sellers just ship them all together in one bag sometimes you get lucky and can get them separated other times they are completely shellacked, unfortunately with the language barrier I've learned to live with it.

Also I know this is going to sound weird, but make sure you sniff your DBZ cels when you get them in! I recently got in a GT cel that has the worst vinegar syndrome I've ever smelled :P! And I believe production on that was only like 95 or 96 not even the oldest DBZ cel I have!

That is a gorgeous SSJ3, I'm very picky about that form, whereas with Goku classic I'm like gimme!!!!

Jadeduo
Ya well I try to not buy cels if the douga is stuck, but I am having mixed feelings about this cel X|
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

It's understandable to want to get top condition for top dollar! You unfortunately don't get so lucky with the rarer characters especially SSJ3 Goku you wouldn't think that he would be so expensive, because hey main character! But DBZ has a notoriously low cel count and the animators cut a lot of corners when producing DBZ they used a lot of moving backgrounds, mouth layers, and pans. The pans are epic but the bane of collectors existence because there is only one of that particular famous scene! A good example would be the infamous shower scene Vegeta cel and the hug cel from the Majin Saga.

It is nice to have the douga for me, but not a must have. I would rather have the genga set myself usually those images are more dynamic as well.

I hope it's helpful!

Jadeduo
:jump
Eric

Post by Eric »

Jadeduo wrote:It's understandable to want to get top condition for top dollar! You unfortunately don't get so lucky with the rarer characters especially SSJ3 Goku you wouldn't think that he would be so expensive, because hey main character! But DBZ has a notoriously low cel count and the animators cut a lot of corners when producing DBZ they used a lot of moving backgrounds, mouth layers, and pans. The pans are epic but the bane of collectors existence because there is only one of that particular famous scene! A good example would be the infamous shower scene Vegeta cel and the hug cel from the Majin Saga.

It is nice to have the douga for me, but not a must have. I would rather have the genga set myself usually those images are more dynamic as well.

I hope it's helpful!

Jadeduo
:jump
Ya I am not too picky if the cel comes with a douga or not, but if it does I usually tend to only buy it if it isn't stuck. I'm still saving up, so I am not sure yet if I should take this gamble.
Ichigos
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Ichigos »

Jadeduo wrote:I can tell you from experience that, DBZ cels can be iffy on condition and unstuck sketches. I've recently picked up several Goku cels that had stuck sketches, as of late a lot of YJ sellers just ship them all together in one bag sometimes you get lucky and can get them separated other times they are completely shellacked, unfortunately with the language barrier I've learned to live with it.

Jadeduo
Eep! I noticed my Android 17 cel from GT (bought recently) has a more noticeable smell on it. I'm not sure if it's vinegar syndrome though. The whole cel is painted and stuck to a unmatching background (doesn't look like the bg is from DBZ either). I lifted the cel a little bit and the background has the stronger scent. This is also the first time I've had a legitimate background too. Do backgrounds smell differently than most cels? I'm so freaked out over vinegar syndrome so I'm just trying to be cautious. >_>
Image Image
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Vinegar syndrome is gross and obvious: it smells just as if someone poured a tablespoon of vinegar in the cel bag. You won't even need to open the bag to find out. You'll also see part of the cel bulging up and out of the horizontal plane,and the cel around it puckering up around the image, so it will no longer lie flat on a scanner platen. It also will usually deform the cel bag and also pucker the plastic sheet above the cel in the cel book.

Another sure sign is that the top of the cel will have a noticeable series of undulations, which I call a "washboard" effect. All of this is a sign that the chemistry of the plastic sheet has deteriorated to the point that the cellulose acetate is destroying itself, producing acetic acid (vinegar) in the process. There is no cure: such cels should be isolated to keep them from affecting healthy cels. Cold storage (> 50 degrees F) does slow down the destructive process.

Generally, if you worry that a cel might have vinegar syndrome, it doesn't have it. :sweatdrop

But any strong chemical smell is a sign that the cel needs a good airing (overnight or 24 hours is better) outside of the bag. Then give it a new bag, and insert a sheet of microchamber paper with the cel. If it's stuck to the background, then put the paper on the topside of the cel. (Another sheet or two behind the background will help keep that in good shape too.) That's inconvenient if you want to view it by flipping through the cel book, but it will force you to pull out the bag, check the smell, and if necessary replace the paper. All this will prolong the cel's life.