What's with all the CCS Movie 1 Cels???

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

What's with all the CCS Movie 1 Cels???

Post by Jadeduo »

Hi All!

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the YJ category or the MSN Mandarake category!

I'm sure even Sensei can attest there has been a large amount of Cardcaptor Sakura: The Movie cels come to market as of late... And I've been wondering, what causes such large clutches of Art to become available all at once. In the last six months I have at this point tripled the amount of Movie pieces that I have in my collection (not all of it is up yet... 8O). Not that I'm complaining! *well the purse is* ^_^;;

Before finding cels from this movie especially really primo ones was really hard! I have picked up missing layers of just Yukito in the past and pieces without backgrounds. But nothing REALLY amazing like has been coming up:

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/it ... dex=310649
http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/it ... dex=310654
http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/it ... dex=310660

https://www.rinkya.com/en/auction-u77122788
https://www.rinkya.com/en/auction-f126697765
https://www.rinkya.com/en/auction-d166763023

And there are like 10 others up on YJ right now!! @_@ Never mind, eBay and dealer sites. The market is basically glutted.

So I guess in you guys experience, has anyone seen so many large clutches of art hit the market at once like this before? And if so when, where, and what? Also were the prices inflated when so many things hit market at once or did anyone get any deals?

Jadeduo
frozentime
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: What's with all the CCS Movie 1 Cels???

Post by frozentime »

Yes, I've seen this happen many times. Some studios auction large releases of cels at the same time, or negotiate deals with certain distributors. Normally, if the entire show is purchased by one individual they are smart enough not to flood the market and drop the price, but if you wait too long you are better investing the money somewhere else. I was told long ago that the reason for the delay is sometimes related to something similar to copyright laws. My understanding is that the artwork is supposed to be held some number of years before it can be released. Generally, when you see things come out very early it is though some dubious practices. I think that we, in the west, used to benefit from this because it was more risky to publicly display or sell items in Japan during this period. I'm not sure how the internet plays into this now, and if it is still a concern. I haven't been following things enough to see if there is any douga/genga out there on public display from very recent releases.

For specific examples, it's happened so many times it's a little hard for me to have taken special note in most cases, but one that stands out in my mind is the IRIA OVA from the 90s. At one of the cons I attended every dealer had gotten huge stacks from the show at the same time. I think the prices dropped by 75% during the show, and it took years to recover.
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

This seems to be the norm anymore. Many of the games/shows we've collected over the years came out in spurts. Usually the seller was smart enough to spread it out for weeks on end, a few pieces at a time. But once the art was gone, it disappeared as suddenly as it appeared, never to be seen again.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

A lot of it seems to be one particular clutch, which came up some months ago at 5000 yen per item. A lot of them were profiles, blinkies, and A2s, which are usually considered less than primo quality on the market. I did get one nice A2 and watched another one (which is the start of a blink but is still nice in other ways). Then suddenly the price on all these doubled to 10000 yen apiece. Since then I have not noticed them moving, and the whole clutch keeps coming around and around, with the price dropping reluctantly ... 9500 yen, 9000 yen, 8500 yen, now 8000 yen. They did not move at 5000 yen, so I don't know why the seller is doing this. I bet at 3500 yen they'd disappear quickly enough, though.

It is true that movie cels have a higher standard of quality, because they are meant to be seen on a big screen. And so overall CCS movie cels have always gone for more than TV series cels. I gather the series has recently been telecast in Japan as a "classic," and so this may well be encouraging enthusiasts who picked up top-quality cels soon after the series wrapped to sell them at a nice profit now. (I recognize one particular collector, with whom I corresponded for a while, doing so with her very nice collection of Syaorans.)
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

LOL I saw them when they were at 5000, and I was like, meh they'll come back around! And then they came back around at 10000. And I was like.... err... no... They have been stuck at 8000 for a while. I am going to stick to my guns though and not get any of the price jackers. You are totally right Sensei if they were at 3500 they would disappear so fast the sellers head would spin! The ones on Mandarake with the matching backgrounds are much nicer and are coming in a better prices. Although the dead eye Sakura on Mandarake was not the matching bg it is still a bg from the movie. I am hoping to match it up sometime with it's mate, sometime in the future!

It has always been harder to find CCS bgs than cels as the count per sequence has always seemed so high to me! ^_^ So when I find matching bgs or even copy bgs, I go after them pretty hard!

I also much prefer the first movie to the second movie so when these starting showing up at all over the place I was super excited, now I am a bit fatigued ^_^;;

It is interesting to hear it was recently re-aired in Japan as a classic, I have also been enjoying the resurgence of classics over here with the blu-ray release of CCS, Sailor Moon Crystal, and DBZ Super... All my fave now "old school" (the 90s was 20 years ago *feels old*) animes coming back there has been a resurgence to the market but it has all been decently priced, except for a few outliers. i.e. these movie cels, and the lots of 4 Sakura Face shots me and KuroiTsubasa talked about it Otakon, and we were like WTF who is bidding on them and who would pay more than a $100 per Sakura? When only one or two per the lot are actually from key scenes? SO WEIRD!, and of course Mandarake, but because of their international reach they have more people bidding from all over the world and things tend to go higher there!

JD