Still some nice pieces out there...

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Still some nice pieces out there...

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Considering how dried up the cel market has become, I have been pleasantly surprised to see some nice pieces offered lately. There was an Escaflowne ED cel with matching background last week, and this week has yielded several Sailor Moon OPs, including this one: http://page22.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/a ... l348453650

But the real question is: are prices like these still supported, or has the market fallen too far?
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: Still some nice pieces out there...

Post by cutiebunny »

Well, in the case of that particular Sailor Moon cel, there's a lot of mold on that background (not to mention the yellowed accompanying douga). I would be very nervous about spending about $900 on something that might have a lot more mold that isn't visible in the scans. I'm not sure how you would even try to get rid of the mold because everything that I can think of would possibly cause the paint to run in the front. Seeing cels and backgrounds in such a state makes me sad, especially when this is such a significant piece.

But to answer your question, it depends on the series. Sailor Moon is still commanding high prices and Dragonball has been hitting peak prices again. Check out some of the prices on Mandarake lately; even some of the SM cels with their sequence numbers cut off are selling for upwards of $800. I'd also be willing to venture that Pokémon cels are still selling for their usual high amounts too, but I rarely see them for sale. CCS prices seem to be going up again too, which I attribute to CLAMP pushing out a new CCS chapter and all the marketing around it. I don't know about the other anime series and their artwork as it's not something that I collect.

TL;DR - If you collect artwork from series with worldwide popularity, expect competition.
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

Much of what I collect has been very active until late. I'm always surprised when collectors say the market has "dried up", but I guess it depends on what market you're in. :wink:

Obviously, certain pieces will always command a lot of money, no matter what. For example, a Code Geass shikishi from Takahiro Kimura recently sold on Mandarake for a ridiculous amount of money, as do all of Takahiro's shikishi. I keep hoping to get one of his original pieces but keep falling short. Way short. One day perhaps! :D
majinuub
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by majinuub »

Angelic-Lair wrote:Much of what I collect has been very active until late. I'm always surprised when collectors say the market has "dried up", but I guess it depends on what market you're in. :wink:

Obviously, certain pieces will always command a lot of money, no matter what. For example, a Code Geass shikishi from Takahiro Kimura recently sold on Mandarake for a ridiculous amount of money, as do all of Takahiro's shikishi. I keep hoping to get one of his original pieces but keep falling short. Way short. One day perhaps! :D
I thought it'd go much higher due to CC being drawn in a um... suggestive pose :wink: .

As for some of the series I collect, the markets been great. Especially after watching/winning some of the items that appeared on YJ/mandarake these past years :^^: . Like previously stated, it really depends on what you collect.