Searching on Rinkya

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
Captain Haddock
Kishin - Fierce God

Searching on Rinkya

Post by Captain Haddock »

Hi all,

After 14 years of collecting I finally signed up to a deputy. I was always apprehensive in the past mostly because of cost and having fought and lost over a lovely OP sketch of Priss from the Bubblegum Crisis I can already see how deadly this is. I did fight hard for her, but it just ended up going beyond what I wanted to pay having to factor in fees and everything.

Anyway my question is I've noticed the searching seems to be rather haphazard. As in I did a search in Rinkya for 'Iria Cel' in Rinkya which brought up nothing. I then searched in different ways for 'all cels' one of them showed me loads of stuff, but when I did a search in a differnt way it showed me a different arrangement of cels, this time showing me a whole clutch of Iria cels I wouldn't otherwise have known were there.

I appreciate this is down to the complexities of translating japanese into English and likely common to most deputies. But I just wanted to check I wasn't missing something. I'd hate to be looking out for Ninja Scroll or Akira cels and miss them only because I wasn't searching in the 'right' way.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Re: Searching on Rinkya

Post by Keropi »

No, you're not missing anything. That's how searching is. It also might come down which category you're searching under too. I had to use multiple links in my searches to make it less likely that I would miss things. I still missed seeing some stuff, but when I searched different ways I was less likely to miss them.
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

I just search on Yahoo Japan for the series in Japanese.
You can then copy and paste the link of the auction you want into the search bar at Rinkya to bid on it.

Here's the Iria link:

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search/sea ... &p=イリア+セル画
Captain Haddock
Kishin - Fierce God

Keropi,

Thanks I figured it was going to be a case of coming at it from different angles, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being a dork and missing some obvious search function.

Guyver III

That's a good idea do you know enough Japanese to know what to type, or do you use a translate function or something? I have enough knowledge of Japanese to pick out the different words you used in that search, and can pinch the other words required from Wikipedia. Nice one that's a good solution.
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

If you go to Anime News Network or Wikipedia or somewhere like that, you can get the original Japanese title for the show. That's usually a good starting point for a search term on Yahoo Japan. If you add the word for "cel" or "sketch" to your search you can inadvertantly remove some listings that used a different term and you might miss some auctions as a result. Having said that, popular shows can have a lot of items, so you may need to get creative with your search terms, but for less-popular shows the title is often all you need to search with. :D
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

Captain Haddock wrote: That's a good idea do you know enough Japanese to know what to type, or do you use a translate function or something?
Thanks! I've got JWPce (which I think can still be downloaded for free from a number of websites) to type out what I'm looking for... especially, if I know a common truncated version of the title, it is easy to just type it out. However, if I'm looking for something like "Ninja Scroll" (Jubei Ninpocho), there's no way I'm going to remember the Kanji, and I'll have to search it out.
Angelic-Lair wrote: If you add the word for "cel" or "sketch" to your search you can inadvertantly remove some listings that used a different term and you might miss some auctions as a result.
That is something I didn't know. I usually put in my search from the top page with whatever I'm looking for, the series name plus 'cel', 'genga', 'douga', 'sign', etc. Under the assumption that a seller may not have placed their auction under YJ's own designated sections, but that they would have used a common term, such as cel, to describe their item. Sometimes I even just look for 'cel', but I don't usually look for just a series' title.

Yahoo Japan does have its own sections, and I think that is what Rinkya usually links to... maybe...
But, I find the series selection to be very limited, that they are missing items, and that it is hard to use. Sometimes the shows are listed under a truncated title, like 'Sailor Moon' instead of 'Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon', while other times the shows are listed under the full title, like 'Kido Keisatsu Patlabor' rather than 'Patlabor', and for fun there are times it is something in-between the two or another version of the full title. But, because of this, someone could put an item in the YJ designated area for it and then not mention what their item is in the title and description... and, I would miss it entirely.
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

I would also suggest that if the show you're searching for has a big-name artist associated with it, try searching by the artist's name as well (in Japanese again). Sure you'll get the usual telecards and artbooks in your search, but sometimes you'll find cels or sketches that aren't in the show search. This has helped me find something I would have otherwise missed on a couple of occassions. :D
Captain Haddock
Kishin - Fierce God

Guyver III and Angelic-Lair,

Thank you both and multi-angled analysis it is!

Yeah I'll have to get the hiragana/Kanji for the various terms and combine them alongside celga to see what I can dig out. It's time consuming but there's so much treasure on their its so worth it!
Captain Haddock
Kishin - Fierce God

If anyone finds it useful after a bit of research I think these are the terms you'll need. For this to work you'll need the japanese for the anime your into to make it work obvs:

Celga (cels) - セル画
Genga - 原画
Douga - 動画
kwens
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by kwens »

I use several sites all at once just because the searching system on one site is easier then on others (I like buyee to search for my stuff ... I easily find what I need because they use the same tree-like structure as in YJ).

I think buyee is great for searching because it uses the same tree-like structure as in YJ and you don't need to understand Japanese :D : Y! Auction > Comics & Animation > Selga > A,KA,SA,...
That said, I'm not a fan of buyee as a proxy but it works great for searching ... then when I find what I 'm looking for I just grab the itemID and paste that in the URL of the proxy I use and start bidding :D

Jauce is also a nice site I use for searching and even used is as a proxy too in the past ... However, they don't always return the results I'm looking for and I find myself typing in Japanese titles in order to get the results I want.
Jigsco also has a nice searching system and already has a couple of titles you can check out directly.

Good luck and happy bidding !
-Kim.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

When I was searching auctions I used to search by cel, genga, douga, layout and background. I was searching them with one link such as:

Da Capo (1st spelling) cel genga douga layout background
Da Capo (2nd spelling) cel genga douga layout background

Combining them saved me a lot of time. I don't know if you can search that way nowadays. It was a great trick. I also searched using:

Genga
Layouts
Backgrounds
Roughs in the Autograph section
Roughs in the Cel section
Roughs in the genga settings section
Sign autograph category

I searched by sellers as well. Sometimes an item will show up under the seller's name, but not under the other links. If they spell the title in a differently way, use the English spelling or don't put spaces in between then searching by seller might have been the only way I could see it.

Unfortunately my YJ links are so old that they don't even work. I am unable to give you the Japanese text for the other terms. :D
bidibadiboo

Post by bidibadiboo »

kwens wrote:I use several sites all at once just because the searching system on one site is easier then on others (I like buyee to search for my stuff ... I easily find what I need because they use the same tree-like structure as in YJ).

I think buyee is great for searching because it uses the same tree-like structure as in YJ and you don't need to understand Japanese :D : Y! Auction > Comics & Animation > Selga > A,KA,SA,...
That said, I'm not a fan of buyee as a proxy but it works great for searching ... then when I find what I 'm looking for I just grab the itemID and paste that in the URL of the proxy I use and start bidding :D

Jauce is also a nice site I use for searching and even used is as a proxy too in the past ... However, they don't always return the results I'm looking for and I find myself typing in Japanese titles in order to get the results I want.
Jigsco also has a nice searching system and already has a couple of titles you can check out directly.

Good luck and happy bidding !
-Kim.
I do exactly the same thing! xD
sletia
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sletia »

Rinkya's search engine has been a bit unreliable lately. Off and on it will claim there are no results when I know full well there are at least two pages worth because I literally just searched for the same thing earlier in the day.
~Hellmaster-sama~
Rabid collector of the little demon