I'd like your opinion on this Urusei Yatsura cel

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
kwens
Otaku - Fanatic

I'd like your opinion on this Urusei Yatsura cel

Post by kwens »

There were quite a few Urusei Yatsura cels on YJ today. I'd like your thoughts on this specific one :

The background is original/matching but the Ataru layer doesn't match the scene :

There's somewhat a similar cel in the same scene but as you can see below it's not entirely the same :

Please give me your thoughts on this ... I'd like to know what's going on here :D

Cheers !
-Kim.
xiaolungbao

Re: I'd like your opinion on this Urusei Yatsura cel

Post by xiaolungbao »

This cel is from the classic scene from Urusei Yatsura TV series when Ataru and Shinobu meet Lum the Invader for the first time! Mr. Invader is sitting in the Moroboshi house discussing how his people settle things with a game of tag. Ataru and his parents are terrified of Mr. Invader and express it would not be fair against any human least of all their only idiot son. Mr. Invader insists the 'game' would be played with his daughter *ta-dah* Lum. Ataru's weird facial expressions change because of his lustful desire for all gorgeous women. In this scene he sees Lum for the first time and it was LUST at first sight. He appears dignified when explaining the game of tag and changes to his true lustful self when he insists inorder to win he must grab her body to get her horns.
kwens
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by kwens »

Hi xiaolungbao,

Thanks for your explanation.

That said, I know the scene very well ... my question was more related as to why the cel does NOT match the scene in the anime (the Ataru layer to be more precise).

Cheers !
-Kim.
xiaolungbao

Post by xiaolungbao »

It could be a mismatched multi-layer but it is from the correct scene.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

as far as what could be going on with that cel there can be a few answers.

It might be one that was made then not used in the final version "Edited Out" or cause the director may have decided to make a change.
It could also be a "test" cel. I have a cel from Card Captor Sakura from the 1st episode where the cards escape that turned out to be a test cel.

Another answer could be that it is a fake though I can't say that a cel of that scene would be worth forging since I don't collect from that series and so have no real idea of what it's value could be. There was a while back a bunch of fake Eva cels on YJ as well a a few other high end series.

Hope that helps.

JWR
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
kwens
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by kwens »

Thx for the comments !

I honestly dont think its a fake. I cant find anything wrong with the other layers and the gouache painted background would be very hard to fake. I guess it could be a test cel as you pointed out.

Thanks again !
Kim.