Ah My Goddess OAV Belldandy Cel FA: Caution!

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Ah My Goddess OAV Belldandy Cel FA: Caution!

Post by sensei »

A recent visit to Yahoo Japan shows that there is a nice-looking cel of Belldandy from the classic OAV series now for sale by apple_symphony_xx, generally a reputable commission seller (and I believe the same source as twin_angels_xx, from whom I regularly purchased CCS cels in the day):

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r220112568

It's from a famous scene, at the start of Ep. 4, in which Keiichi dreams he is giving the goddess an engagement ring. The opening bid is set at a hefty 30,000 JPY, which would be reasonable given the good condition of the cel and the significance of the scene. (And I see that AMG cels are going through a bullish phase, though not quite up to the eye-popping levels that prevailed 15 years ago when the movie was new.)

Problem is ... this is by my count the FOURTH identical cel of this image that has appeared over the years. One was in the indie cel gallery marzcelection.com (currently offline), one appeared earlier on YJ, and one is in my collection: http://sensei.rubberslug.com/gallery/in ... mID=240728. Anyone considering bidding on this should read the commentary on my copy down the the last niggly line.

Bottom line: any time a cel shows up that is identical to another cel, that means that one of the two cels is not authentic or, as in this case, NONE of the cels are authentic. It is also relevant that checking the scene shows that the authentic cel would need to be numbered A1. This one, according to the seller, is "A12," which makes no sense compared to the scene and shows that, at very least, the sequence number is deliberately deceptive.
Gabe
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Ah My Goddess OAV Belldandy Cel FA: Caution!

Post by Gabe »

He went through a lot of changes the last 3 years or so.
Lost some good sources for the artwork he sold. Some are still staying with him.
Everyone that likes to sell their collection can go to him and let him list on YJ.
But it happened that he sold some fakes the last few years, even he thought it was genuine.

I even have no idea who was the actual source for the AMG stuff he is currently listing.
So I'm anyway not going for them.