Thinking about Trying YJ/Buyee

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Thinking about Trying YJ/Buyee

Post by Pixel »

Drac of the Sharp Smiles wrote:Nice! ^_^ Hopefully we all steered you right. ^_^
Thanks. I guess it may seem silly to only ship a single auction, but I'd like to see how it arrives before considering much more buying.

The hardest part about SAL is the waiting. My last SAL package arrived from the Land of the Rising Sun a couple of days ago, four weeks to the day from when it was shipped. Now that the Christmas shipping period is over, maybe it won't take quite so long. The item wasn't perfect, but still in generally good shape. I bought it used anyway, so I'll give the shipping process the benefit of the doubt. I'm actually amazed at how well it has worked considering the distances involved.

The overall average is a little over 3 weeks.

I know I could have shipped EMS, but it's just so expensive. As long as it gets here okay. Patience isn't exactly my strongest suit. It helps out alot that SAL to the States is usually pretty cheap as long as the package doesn't get too big.

How should I expect it to arrive? Does SMJ typically leave it in the shipper's original package, then place that inside another for delivery Stateside? Should I expect them to have opened the seller's shipping package at some point?
Drac of the Sharp Smiles
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Drac of the Sharp Smiles »

Not knowing what the original seller's packages look like, it's hard to say, but I would imagine SMJ opens all packages to make sure the correct contents are inside and there was no error on the part of the seller. I never receive a shipping box inside my packages, if that's what you mean. Which is good, due to the extra weight that would add. ^_^
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

Drac of the Sharp Smiles wrote:Not knowing what the original seller's packages look like, it's hard to say, but I would imagine SMJ opens all packages to make sure the correct contents are inside and there was no error on the part of the seller.
Yes, that does make sense. That also insures the item will be properly declared for US Customs, very important.
Drac of the Sharp Smiles wrote:I never receive a shipping box inside my packages, if that's what you mean. Which is good, due to the extra weight that would add. ^_^
I just like having the documentation. Knowing where it originally came from and all. It's not absolutely necessary though, especially if it makes shipping higher.

I'm used to dealing more-or-less directly, so I'm still learning the ins-and-outs of this.

They shipped SAL Registered, which means I'll have to sign for it. That's fine, I kind of prefer it that way. I do wish the tracking with RSAL updated a bit more often, but oh well.

SAL is cheap for a reason, after all. At least it's insured.
Animechaos
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Animechaos »

Take the tracking number you got and use it on the Japan Post's page, right under "Confirm Delivery Status" on the right side.

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/ems/index_en.html

Everything we ship has some form of tracking on it. :)
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

Animechaos wrote:Take the tracking number you got and use it on the Japan Post's page, right under "Confirm Delivery Status" on the right side.

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/ems/index_en.html

Everything we ship has some form of tracking on it. :)

Definitely glad for the tracking, and insurance. Here while back, I "watched" a package travel all the way from the accepting Post Office in southwest Japan to my house here in the States. I was surprised to see where it went along the way, it was almost like I was riding with it along the way.

Actually from the SMJ interface, I chose SAL with upgrade if EMS was same price or cheaper. In this case SAL must have been cheaper. Partly because I just had the one fairly light item, I figure.

So far I'm 100% on SAL packages from Japan, as I said. To me it's just a matter of letting the process work, and having the patience to do so. Patience is a big part of collecting, especially if you collect from halfway around the world.

On the plus side, I've got plenty of extra time if I need to find a place to keep it, for example.

At least with the tracking number the item shouldn't go missing somewhere along the way. I have had unregistered SAL shipments before, now those make me a bit nervous. They have all showed up though.

I'd hate to think what the USPS would charge to ship similar items to Japan, at any speed.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

UPDATE: The auction item arrived safely today. I haven't given the item a thorough inspection yet, but it looking it over, it looks like like it is in the same condition as when it left SMJ.

I do like that SMJ shipped it in a box, with little air packs protecting it-all of my orders direct from Japan came in white envelopes with bubble wrap. I mean that packaging seems to have worked okay for the most part, but seeing the box was much more reassuring.

One of the issues I noticed concerned my mailing address. My city was written on the same line as my street address. Knowing the USPS, that could cause a delay. I tried fixing it in my account, but I don't know if it worked or not.

It took the scenic route like I said, 17 days in transit from posting.

SAL = Scenic route ALong the way. LOL. :D

At least it got here okay, that's the thing. 100% track record still holds.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

UPDATE: I've written up a lengthy post on what I won from YJ. I didn't say anything about what it was here partly because I had a far less clear picture of what I had until yesterday.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31488
Hanna85

Post by Hanna85 »

Hi there, Crew. I was wondering if you could recommend me a deputy agent that allows you to participate in real time without asking for a deposit, first. I understand that Buyee offers this service, am I right? Do you know any others? Thanks to all those who will intervene. :bow2:
D_Animation
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by D_Animation »

Hanna85 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:39 pm Hi there, Crew. I was wondering if you could recommend me a deputy agent that allows you to participate in real time without asking for a deposit, first. I understand that Buyee offers this service, am I right? Do you know any others? Thanks to all those who will intervene. :bow2:
I haven't read any of this thread but Buyee fits your needs. I've had nothing but good experiences from them, feel free to message me if you have any questions about it
D no function beer well without
Gallery: https://www.danimation-cels.com
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

None of the companies that ask for a deposit are out to fleece the deposit from you. I've used SMJ for well over a decade.

Buyee charges quite a hefty premium for their shipping. SMJ doesn't charge as much.

IMO, you're going to pay one way or another. Either you put the deposit up front (that you can always ask back if you no longer want to do business with them) and receive lowered shipping/comission fees or you pay heftier commission rates or shipping fees (that are not refundable).

I've used Buyee before. They pack really well.
D_Animation
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by D_Animation »

Shipping or auction fees? Wasn't aware of shipping differences, just thought they charge whatever EMS wants or w/e your shipping service is

Buyee does have a chunky fee but often run out promotions and coupons. Right now for me Buyee charges no auction fee for instance

They also let you cancel sniper bids yourself whenever you want and can even cancel normal bids with a ticket, which it looks like SMJ can't do?

I sound like I'm shilling for Buyee but just adding some more info. I'll have to check out SMJ
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

D_Animation wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:17 pm
Shipping or auction fees? Wasn't aware of shipping differences, just thought they charge whatever EMS wants or w/e your shipping service is.
Every deputy charges a commission, whether it's through an established commission fee or by adding fees on to your shipping total, storage fees, etc. They're a business. Someone has to pay their overhead or they won't stay in business. It takes time, labor and money to package your items in protective packaging and to take them to the post office. These fees are factored in somewhere along the way.
They also let you cancel sniper bids yourself whenever you want and can even cancel normal bids with a ticket, which it looks like SMJ can't do?
You can do the same with SMJ. I set sniper bids up often and cancel them about as frequently too. I don't need to contact SMJ to cancel my bid.
D_Animation
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by D_Animation »

Interesting stuff, thanks. Sounds like I will be making a switch