Why are there a lot of cheap cels of popular shows on YJ?

Auctions on Yahoo Japan
DataInTheStone

Why are there a lot of cheap cels of popular shows on YJ?

Post by DataInTheStone »

I'm a newer buyer and am wondering why cels like these https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/b536929363 are listed as cheap despite being form a super popular show like Sailor Moon? I see that the cel is a bit faded, but that shouldn't make its price listed as below 50$ right? Is it an obvious fake? And if so, how do you know? I don't really have a discerning eye yet and am curious as to how you guys would decipher this conundrum?
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: Why are there a lot of cheap cels of popular shows on YJ?

Post by cutiebunny »

Just because a show is still popular doesn't mean artwork is always expensive. Long term collectors, particularly those with a lot of disposable income to throw around, tend to go after particular things. Maybe there's a particular sequence they want. There are episode and character collectors as well. They'll hold out their money for these things. Additionally, the market goes in cycles. When Sailor Moon's Crystal reboot was announced, prices for cels skyrocketed. But after the first two seasons were not well received, prices began to return to their pre-Crystal spike.

Sailor Moon was produced by Toei and they are notorious for selecting the cheapest ink as possible when they were making cel based series. Because of that, the lines fade with age and I would be surprised to find any non-harmony or hanken cel without some sort of line fade almost 30 years after production on that series began. The $50 cels are authentic - If someone really wanted to make a counterfeit, they'd likely choose a well known scene from a bank or opening/ending sequence to get the most money for the time and effort they put in to creating it.

There are guides on this forum that explain the difference between cels and common identifying features that you might find helpful by reading them.

http://www.anime-beta.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=83