$2000-$2500
28%
$2500-$3000
7%

Total votes: 29

Majin Gohan
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Majin Gohan »

Yeah.....I woke up early to watch it for fun...it sucks no one on beta one...it sucks even more than Sean missed it by so little!!

>_<
Steve
Wolfette
Himajin - Get A Life
Location: Fawning at Bakura's feet *worship* AnimeBeta's resident rabid Shota fangirl :)

Post by Wolfette »

:puzzled

I'm sorry, it's a great cel and all - but 403,000 yen???

:puzzled

Some fav YouTube fan music videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98qEvSXe5wc - Heroes - Sylar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIDCP5t3y3E Prison Break - Mahone and T-Bag (William Fichtner and Robert Knepper)

World of Warcraft Battletag: Wolfette#1822
pastatdude
The Drunken Master

Post by pastatdude »

Crazy! That's all I can say. CRAZY! :P
Booze disappearing is a law of nature.

.:PD Blog:.
Marauder

Post by Marauder »

Uhhh wow. Just insane. I never thought I'd see a DBZ cel go that high. I wonder how much it would have gone for if it had been A1 with the tears... (not to mention that the A1 would be a PAN cel, lol)? I don't think I want to know!
monkeyboy
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator
Location: Heading for the 90's...Living in the wild wild West...

Post by monkeyboy »

As jenn-b said:
And I thought that I was bidding high with $1500?!?!? I'm way out of my league here!
:jaw I thought it would go for that also! X|

Well done Beta members who bid! You made it an exciting auction!

BTW I'm changing my name from monkeyboy to Timmy(as in South Park). Any of you kind people who bid so high could send a $1000. my way it would be gladly appreciated! :joke

"livin' large!"

Sorry it's not going to one of your homes! :O Anyway let's hope it goes to a collector who has a site!
soda
Jiggle Counter

Post by soda »

My thoughts on the price are that it would not have gone as high if gogeta didn't place such a high bid. He set the benchmark for other people to beat. He probably thought there is no way in hell it will go that high but just in case, he decided to bid some crazy amount like 400,000. The price ended that high because of that bid. I'm sure though that he wished he had the option of increasing his bid when it broke 400,000. The same thing happened to me for a DBZ figure that I wanted a long time ago. I set some crazy amount not knowing it was so rare and just watched helplessly as the bidding broke through my high bid. I couldn't do a damn thing. That was the day I started the process to figure out how to bid on YJ myself. I wasn't going to let that happen to me again and I bet if gogeta had that option the price for that cel would have been much higher. I guess the going rate for a kidney is about 403,000 yen but I think it would have taken a liver to win that cel. ;)
Mandarake/YJ/YJ DBZ/YJ H/YJ GG HNK

Get some exercise. Ride a cyclist.
Han shot first!
You smell like updog.
Never, never, never do a google image search for goatse!
gogeta00
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by gogeta00 »

Soda wrote:
I guess the going rate for a kidney is about 403,000 yen but I think it would have taken a liver to win that cel.
LOL! How true. To be honest, I had a feeling the end result would go over my max. I increased my bid two times with Sato all before there were two days left on the auction. I just had a feeling no matter how high I bid, it just wasnt going to be enough. It was desireable to too many people for it to end at my mediocre first bid of 200,000 yen.

XoXoX wrote:
I know thats a major wishlist cel for many people but $3,400 for that cel is WAY TOO MUCH!
Price is relative. I consider cels to be fine art. Some people spend ludacris amounts on oil paintings and sculptures, why can't the same be true of this medium of art? It's all how you perceive it. Something is worth what someone is willing to pay, and when that many people are willing to pay that kind of money, it must be worth it to someone.
BleedingOrange
Yosutebito - Hermit
Location: I am everywhere and yet, nowhere... all at the same time. Whoa.

Post by BleedingOrange »

yeah, I believe a cel is worth what the person who will pay the most for it wants to pay. Somebody out there REALLY wanted that ssj2. lol. Therefore it became worth a little more to them than to some of us. They're probably in a bittersweet bit of happiness right about now. Happy the cel is theirs and not so happy about how much they ended up having to pay.

Either way, it doesn't look like it left Japan. We may never see it again. *sniff*

I'm still hoping this inspires somebody out there to put my #1 major wishlist, Goku instant transmission at Cell Games, on YJ.

Hey, I can dream right? lol. :)
Visit: Bleeding Orange - DBZ Cel Gallery
"It seems a demon has possessed your trousers... care for an exorcism?"
soda
Jiggle Counter

Post by soda »

Apparently, that win price is the record. At least by what this seller told me: "Also we have never seen such a big price with DB auctions. Absolutely it was record I guess... ^_^;"
Last edited by soda on Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandarake/YJ/YJ DBZ/YJ H/YJ GG HNK

Get some exercise. Ride a cyclist.
Han shot first!
You smell like updog.
Never, never, never do a google image search for goatse!
super17
Kamisama - God

Post by super17 »

hey Soda, count me in for that auction then :wink: :wink:

Ive been waiting for something awesome to come up :)
XoXoX
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by XoXoX »

gogeta00 wrote:
Price is relative. I consider cels to be fine art. Some people spend ludacris amounts on oil paintings and sculptures, why can't the same be true of this medium of art? It's all how you perceive it. Something is worth what someone is willing to pay, and when that many people are willing to pay that kind of money, it must be worth it to someone.
True....but there are Market standards to look at when you consider
the value of those pieces of art. The fact that your willing to pay
whatever price for a piece doesn't mean that its worth that amount
you pay. An appraiser would never put a price of $3400 on that cel.
(just look at how faded it is as an example)
pastatdude
The Drunken Master

Post by pastatdude »

soda wrote:Apparently, that win price is the record. At least by what this seller told me: "Also we have never seen such a big price with DB auctions. Absolutely it was record I guess... ^_^;"
Did they mean for YJ? I was told by a friend that a Mirai Trunks cel went for $5901 on eBay a while back.
Booze disappearing is a law of nature.

.:PD Blog:.
mightymask
Senpai - Elder

Post by mightymask »

XoXoX wrote:
True....but there are Market standards to look at when you consider
the value of those pieces of art. The fact that your willing to pay
whatever price for a piece doesn't mean that its worth that amount
you pay. An appraiser would never put a price of $3400 on that cel.
I'm not sure if appraiser's are always good judges of what a cel is worth. Obviously in this case it was worth around $3400 to 3 different people. It always amazes me when I see a generic Princess Mononoke cel go for some obscene amount of money and cel collectors just nod their heads and say 'Yep, it's worth that' - Yes, Mononoke was a monumental movie with great artwork and since it was a movie, there aren't that many cels in circulation - but just because there are more DBZ cels out there doesn't minimize the fact that this particular cel was from an amazing shot that lasted all but a few seconds from perhaps the most popular Japanese anime show in the world. In my opinion the minimal line fading and all that should not matter to a true fan.
XoXoX
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by XoXoX »

mightymask wrote:
I'm not sure if appraiser's are always good judges of what a cel is worth. Obviously in this case it was worth around $3400 to 3 different people. It always amazes me when I see a generic Princess Mononoke cel go for some obscene amount of money and cel collectors just nod their heads and say 'Yep, it's worth that' - Yes, Mononoke was a monumental movie with great artwork and since it was a movie, there aren't that many cels in circulation - but just because there are more DBZ cels out there doesn't minimize the fact that this particular cel was from an amazing shot that lasted all but a few seconds from perhaps the most popular Japanese anime show in the world. In my opinion the minimal line fading and all that should not matter to a true fan.
You can always argue the fact that its worth what someone will pay, If
someone whats something bad enough they'll pay whatever. A classic
example is Majin Vegetas; a few years ago people were paying thousands
of dollars for cels that are now only worth hundreds- the market changed
and people weren't paying the amount for those cels that they use to.
Yes, this is a special cel -but if you were to compare it to other high ended
dragonball cels for market conditions as they exist today, it was too high.
Marauder

Post by Marauder »

A cel (or anything for that matter) can have a "market" worth and a "personal" subjective worth. If you're talking about market worth then auction sites like yahoo japan are pretty accurate evaluators of a cel's worth. If I can go out and sell that cel for $3400 then that is what it's worth. Now, I just have to stop saying "worth!"