Annual Cel Contest 2014 - Best in Show Winners Announced!!!

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
Katrina
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Annual Cel Contest 2014 - Conversation Starter!

Post by Katrina »

I'm just now catching up on this thread, but if I'm reading things correctly, the "fan art" category has been cut? :( Is it too late to vote for its reinstatement? (The category did not exist back when I last entered the awards, and I am so kicking myself for never entering during the years it did exist.)

I wouldn't care so much if fan cels were permitted in other categories, but for obvious reasons, I know they can't be.
Book + Baby
http://katrinasforest.blogspot.com My adventure of trying to write a novel with a newborn.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Sorry Guys for ignoring this... I will be responding shortly on this post and posting a mini con report on Mizucon sometime this week, hopefully we should be getting some new members in!

JD
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Okay guys we've got to get this finalized because, I've got to start taking entries this weekend! @_@ Time flies when you are running around like a crazy person ^_^;;

I see what you are saying GuyvarIII and I totally appreciate the argument... That being said, there has been a lot more support for the changing of the categories. So what I will do is, change Curves to Femininity - and keep Tomboys and we will see how that goes in the 2014 cel awards. If it is a disaster it will be something to comment about in the next cel contest.

I'm sorry Katrina, the reason it was cut was because there were fewer than 3 entries in the last contest. Making it seems like there is a lack of interest in the category. If you can get two other Beta-ers to send me an entry each for the fan art/cel category I would reinstate it. But from runners feedback from the past few years it has been a bit of a no go. If you can make this happen please PM me and I will add it back this weekend.

Finalized Categories - New Categories Highlighted!
Accessory - Emphasis on what the character is holding, using, swinging, playing, aiming. (C, R)
Action - Scenes of action, movement, motion. (C, R)
Background - No characters allowed. (C, P, R)
Bliss
Blood on the Ground - Characters on the verge of death, or those that really are gravely injured, dying, or dead. (C, R)
Creepy
Femininity
Tomboys

Funny - Laugh out loud moments. (C, R)
FURRIES (have a cel of a furry friend? A dog, a cat, a cabbit, a catgirl/boy? a Kero..... you know ANYTHING with fur)
Group - Art of two or more characters. (C, R)
Hanken - Art used for merchandise or other non-production special circumstances. Hankens are not allowed in any other category except hentai. (C, H, P, O, R)
Harmony - Unique combinations of line work and watercolor used to convey deep emotion and profound artistry. (C, P, R)
Heroic - White knight saves the day. (C, R)
Itadakimasu! (Our favorite characters stuffing their faces with deliciousness)
Love - Kissing, hugging, cuddling, any displays of affection, innocent or physical – just not explicit. (C, R)
Muscles
Bishonen

Maniacal Laughter
Mech and Tech
Outfit - Best dressed, emphasis on clothes and costumes. (C, R)
Rage - Mad, angry, extreme agitation. (C, R)
Shocked - Stunned, horrified, utter dismay. (C, R)
Sorrow - Tear-jerkers, sadness. (C, R)
Tranquility - Characters who have found inner peace or a welcome opportunity to unwind. (C, R)
OP/ED/Eyecatch – Cels used only in these special animated sequences. These cels are not allowed in any other category. (C, R).

OPTIONAL Worst – Cels you wish you could unsee (C, R)
OPTIONAL Eyes on Me, Anime Eyes, love them hate them, they must be the focus of the cel.
OPTIONAL Novel Set-Up - Cel or cels with an UNMATCHING background that creates an original image. The background must be an original production item (not photocopied or Photoshopped).
OPTIONAL Hentai/Yaoi/Yuri
OPTIONAL Are they or aren't they? Definitive proof that, that unofficial canon/fanon pairing is actually happening!
OPTIONAL POSTERIORS:: the Backs of anime in a non sexual way. (do you have a cel of someone's butt?, the back of their head? the back of their knees? do you feel it is not appreciated because its someones back, this is the category for you!)

As a refresher:

SUBMISSION RULES

1.) Participants are eligible to enter the contest in 9 standard categories and 3 optional categories, for a total of 12 pieces of artwork submitted.
2.) While a participant may choose to enter 12 pieces of artwork, you are not required to submit twelve items. You may enter fewer items.
3.) In order to cut down on bandwidth usage, please limit your entries to the following dimensions:

Standard: 600 pixels wide, 300kb in size
Horizontal pan: 800 pixels wide, 300kb in size
Vertical pan: 800 pixels high, 300kb in size
Animated: same pixel restrictions as above, size limit is increased to 800k.

4.) Artwork which was previously entered into the Anime-Beta Awards is eligible for re-entry, provided that the winning piece has changed owners. If you choose to submit a previous winning piece, you must e-mail the contest coordinator before submitting it. This way, the organizer knows the piece has changed owners and that it is a qualified entry. If you do not e-mail the coordinator, your entry will be disqualified. Please check previous awards websites carefully.
5.) Sequence mates of previous winners will be allowed if there is a substantial difference between the two. Please inform the contest coordinator which piece you are submitting a sequence mate of. You may not submit a sequence mate if you also own the previous winning piece.
6.) Sequence mates in the same category are not permitted. Whoever submits the artwork first will be given a spot in that category. If you submit a sequence mate to an item that is already in a category, you will have the chance to re-submit another item in lieu of the repeated piece.
7.) If a category has only four entries, only #1 and #2 awards will be given. If a category has only three entries, only a #1 award will be given. Categories with fewer than three entries 24 hours before the beginning of voting will be eliminated. Contestants will have the chance to re-submit artwork to another category.
8.) ANIMATED ART: Animated submissions may only include that which was part of the original studio animated sequence.
9.) Modification and/or enhancement of images is not permitted. The only exception is for oversized images requiring multiple scans. You may piece these scans together to make a complete image.
10.)When there are tie votes, awards will be given in the following ways:
two #1, no #2, one #3
one #1, two #2, no #3
one #1, one #2, two #3
two #1, two #3.

Tentative SCHEDULE:

October 1-15: Preliminary testing of on Survey Monkey, finalizing of categories, final changes, timeline and list of tasks approved.
October 16-31: Submit Entries
November 1-15: Viewing Period
November 16-30: Voting Period
Winners announced: December 15th

Best in Show Voting: December 16th – 31st
Winner Announced: January 1st

Send in an e-mail to: Jadeduo at gmail.com, with your entries please label the entries clearly with what category you are submitting to, the anime/character name, and if you are feeling ambitious a short blurb about why the piece is a fit for the category (this is not required, but will help me save time).

You guys have just under two weeks to shoot me over entries, and if possible please do not shove all your entries at me on Halloween. I might die! LOL! I look forward to this, and am super excited!

Also if there is anyone that wants to volunteer to make the awards I would super appreciate the help!

JD
:jump
Last edited by Jadeduo on Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

This may be a silly question, but
R = Repro or Rilezu or both?
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

If you look on page 1 at the beginning post of this thread which lists the rules from last time, R is listed as Rilezu.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Thanks for answering that animeobsessed!

Entries have started to come in, if anyone is curious I am making to site as the entries come in so that will determine your placement on the page when I put together the category... Nothing to do with playing favorites! :)

Also so far the only category with more than one entry so far is OP cels! Keep them coming!

JD ^_^
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

I have a special request to make! Please, please, please! Label the art with the anime and character the cel is from. I am by no means an expert on every anime/animation ever made and I will do it for the few who have sent in entries! I just spent twenty minutes browsing someone's gallery for the information. Granted I enjoyed it, but it is early days yet!

And when it gets down to crunchtime, I won't be able to do it for everyone!

So please, label the art with bare minimum: category, anime, and characters present in the cel!!

Thanks,
JD!
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

Jadeduo wrote:I have a special request to make! Please, please, please! Label the art with the anime and character the cel is from. I am by no means an expert on every anime/animation ever made and I will do it for the few who have sent in entries! I just spent twenty minutes browsing someone's gallery for the information. Granted I enjoyed it, but it is early days yet!

And when it gets down to crunchtime, I won't be able to do it for everyone!

So please, label the art with bare minimum: category, anime, and characters present in the cel!!

Thanks,
JD!
Why does the anime and character need to be listed? This has never been asked for in the past.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

I was putting the anime and the character with each piece in case the voters decided they liked the art and wanted to check out the original source material! I know I've not seen some of the anime that has already been sent over, and maybe sometime down the line I would like to check it out!

Also I am using Survey Monkey for the voting process so with the format I am using I need something to call each piece other than 1,2,3 etc... It will make it easier when voting and the voting tally I believe. I also plan to publish the results to make them available to the community when the winners are released :) That way transparency is fully available :) to EVERYONE! :) And should be easier to read with the show and character put into the voting tally.

Thanks,
JD
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

In case anyone is curious... Entries so far ^_^

Accessory - 0
Action - 3
Background - 0
Bliss - 2
Blood on the Ground - 1
Creepy - 0
Femininity - 0
Tomboys - 0
Funny - 1
FURRIES - 1
Group - 3
Hanken - 1
Harmony - 0
Heroic - 1
Itadakimasu! - 0
Love - 2
Muscles - 0
Bishonen - 1
Maniacal Laughter - 0
Mech and Tech - 0
Outfit - 1
Rage - 2
Shocked - 2
Sorrow - 2
Tranquility - 1
OP/ED/Eyecatch – 2

OPTIONAL Worst – 0
OPTIONAL Eyes on Me - 1
OPTIONAL Novel Set-Up - 0
OPTIONAL Hentai/Yaoi/Yuri - 0
OPTIONAL Are they or aren't they? - 0
OPTIONAL POSTERIORS - 1

All entries sent have been approved and put on their respective surveys! Keep them coming, cramming everything at the end is bad and I don't want to spend all day November first getting the site up so please, please keep them coming :)

Best of Luck!
JD
Frosty
Anime Geek

Post by Frosty »

Hi! Can you give me an example for "Are they or aren't they"? I am not sure I understand this category ...
It's Better to Burn Out than to Fade Away!
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Any Cel that would prove a relationship not typically canon, or at least in your mind lol. i.e. when Haruka is running around during all of Sailor Moon Super calling Usagi her little kitten, and getting all up in her personal space. Pretty much anything not in the source material but the fans like to ship, I know most peeps in anime have their own personal fanon so if you have cel that showcases yours I will put it in the category. I have space too in the format I am using so that you can write a little blurb maybe a couple 100 words on what is happening in the cel to prove this.

Have fun and I hope this helps!

No entries since early yesterday, come one, come all, new and old cel collectors welcome!!!

Give me something to do after work besides bake!

JD
Starfighter
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Starfighter »

Hello anime-beta members,

I have not collected cels in a little over two years, but I decided to enter the anime-beta cel contest none the less. I wanted to say how great it is for everyone to show there awesome pieces.Whether I win, lose or place I really enjoy sharing my cels with the community. I also like seeing everyone else beautiful cels as well. I really want to thank jadeduo for getting this contest together . I'm sure it will run smoothly. If there is anything that you can think of I can do to help with this contest or in general please shoot me an e-mail and I will do my best to help.
Well take it easy and looking forward to another awesome contest.

Starfighter
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Thanks Starfighter for the kind words! No new submissions since yours yesterday! Where is everyone!? You guys aren't going to make me bake tonight?? Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting? My wasteline would like to avoid it!

Trying to keep the excitement up over here! *dances*

JD
majinuub
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by majinuub »

I haven't entered the ABA in a while but I'll do it this year. Btw you should change the thread topic and edit the 1st post with where to send submissions(it may be there but I didn't see it). I didn't know even know this was the entry period until I saw your latest posts.